IndiaDivine.org

unfair pet rules - was 'Digest 395'

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

I guess this isn't part of the topic, but since we're veering off anyway...I'm having a landlord/pet problem also. Last week they changed the 'pet policy' without warning. People who have dogs can keep them, but new tenants are only allowed to have cats. I was in the process of adopting a dog when this happened, but I hadn't brought him home from the shelter yet. I have a meeting tomorrow to ask for an exception to be made, but I'm not getting my hopes up. Do you guys think I have any legal rights or am I out of luck here?

- Muffy

Guest guest

depends on where you are, and wot the renter rights are like in yer area

i would just have a good heart to heart with yer landlord, explain that you

already are getting a pup, its already been done, you are just waiting fer the

child to come to you

maybe you could offer an extra deposit??

fraggle

" James & Muffy Caldwell " <jmc62701 wrote:

>    I guess this isn't part of the topic, but since we're veering off

anyway...I'm having a landlord/pet problem also.  Last week they changed the

'pet policy' without warning.  People who have dogs can keep them, but new

tenants are only allowed to have cats.  I was in the process of adopting a dog

when this happened, but I hadn't brought him home from the shelter yet.  I have

a meeting tomorrow to ask for an exception to be made, but I'm not getting my

hopes up.  Do you guys think I have any legal rights or am I out of luck here?

>

> - Muffy

>

>

Guest guest

I didn't know a landlord was allowed to change the rules like that without consultation, you signed a contract and if you are not in agreement with a change to it they should not force a new oppressive rule onto you. It seems very unfair to me. I don't have any specific advice but good luck anyway.

Pets and housing is a very important topic for anyone who wants to rescue animals, and many vegans do this because they are kind people and want to save animals, so I don't see how it's off-topic any more than many other issues discussed on here.

I live in the UK, do you have a US equivalent of the Citizens Advice Bureau to go for free advice, because that is where I would advise you to go if you were in the UK (I think you are in the US aren't you?). Hopefully you have something similar over there.

Lesley

James & Muffy Caldwell [jmc62701]10 July 2002 10:35 Subject: Re: unfair pet rules - was 'Digest 395'

I guess this isn't part of the topic, but since we're veering off anyway...I'm having a landlord/pet problem also. Last week they changed the 'pet policy' without warning. People who have dogs can keep them, but new tenants are only allowed to have cats. I was in the process of adopting a dog when this happened, but I hadn't brought him home from the shelter yet. I have a meeting tomorrow to ask for an exception to be made, but I'm not getting my hopes up. Do you guys think I have any legal rights or am I out of luck here?

- Muffy

To send an email to -

Guest guest

If you do a google search on pets and housing rights, this was the first hit

http://www.animal-law.org/housing/

Lesley

James & Muffy Caldwell [jmc62701]10 July 2002 10:35 Subject: Re: unfair pet rules - was 'Digest 395'

- Muffy

To send an email to -

Guest guest

there are no general overview boards in the us

you have to go to the local rent board..assuming you have one

or check online fer the local version of a renters rights group

fraggle

" Lesley Dove " <Lesley wrote:

>

>I didn't know a landlord was allowed to change the rules like that without

>consultation, you signed a contract and if you are not in agreement with a

>change to it they should not force a new oppressive rule onto you. It seems

>very unfair to me. I don't have any specific advice but good luck anyway.

>

>Pets and housing is a very important topic for anyone who wants to rescue

>animals, and many vegans do this because they are kind people and want to

>save animals, so I don't see how it's off-topic any more than many other

>issues discussed on here.

>

>I live in the UK, do you have a US equivalent of the Citizens Advice Bureau

>to go for free advice, because that is where I would advise you to go if you

>were in the UK (I think you are in the US aren't you?). Hopefully you have

>something similar over there.

>

>Lesley

>

>  

>  James & Muffy Caldwell [jmc62701]

>  10 July 2002 10:35

>  

>  Re: unfair pet rules - was 'Digest 395'

>

>

>      I guess this isn't part of the topic, but since we're veering off

>anyway...I'm having a landlord/pet problem also.  Last week they changed the

>'pet policy' without warning.  People who have dogs can keep them, but new

>tenants are only allowed to have cats.  I was in the process of adopting a

>dog when this happened, but I hadn't brought him home from the shelter yet.

>I have a meeting tomorrow to ask for an exception to be made, but I'm not

>getting my hopes up.  Do you guys think I have any legal rights or am I out

>of luck here?

>

>   - Muffy

>

>

>        

Guest guest

You legally already had the dog before the change.

-

James & Muffy Caldwell

Wednesday, July 10, 2002 5:35 AM

Re: unfair pet rules - was 'Digest 395'

- Muffy

To send an email to -

Guest guest

Hi Muffy

I don't know about legal rights, but it would have been better if he had set a time to start the new rule - maybe a year ahead, so that it didn't cause any upset. Maybe you can say that you have already made the arrangements.

Jo

-

James & Muffy Caldwell

Wednesday, July 10, 2002 10:35 AM

- Muffy

To send an email to -

Guest guest

Good news :) We were approved to get our dog and we brought him home today! Turns out there aren't really any rules, it's just a case-by-case basis (can they do that?).

- Muffy

Guest guest

If I was religious I would pray for Muffy that you are right on this!

Lesley

kiwi2000 [kiwi2000]10 July 2002 19:18 Subject: Re: unfair pet rules - was 'Digest 395'

-

James & Muffy Caldwell

- Muffy

To send an email to -

Guest guest

I'm so happy for you!

Lesley

James & Muffy Caldwell [jmc62701]11 July 2002 05:08 Subject: Re: unfair pet rules - was 'Digest 395'

Good news :) We were approved to get our dog and we brought him home today! Turns out there aren't really any rules, it's just a case-by-case basis (can they do that?).

- MuffyTo send an email to -

Guest guest

Can you not move ?.

Remember how you have been let down,and if you can't have the dog , make sure you never help the landlord or do him any favours ,which you probably would have done being such a nice person

James & Muffy Caldwell [jmc62701] 10 July 2002 10:35 Subject: Re: unfair pet rules - was 'Digest 395'

- Muffy

To send an email to -

Guest guest

Great news ----Have fun

- Muffy

---

Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).

Version: 6.0.370 / Virus Database: 205 - Release 05/06/2002

Guest guest

My message may not have gone through yesterday about the pet situation --- I did get to bring home my dog. He had his first vet checkup today and has a clean bill of health. He's a very lucky puppy, considering what the breed is intended for. I wrote another post about that, you may have gotten it already.

- Muffy

-

Lesley Dove

Thursday, July 11, 2002 4:14 AM

RE: unfair pet rules - was 'Digest 395'

If I was religious I would pray for Muffy that you are right on this!

Lesley

kiwi2000 [kiwi2000]10 July 2002 19:18 Subject: Re: unfair pet rules - was 'Digest 395'

-

James & Muffy Caldwell

- Muffy

To send an email to -