IndiaDivine.org

the pet discussion - hunting dogs

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Bringing our pet discussion slightly more on-topic...I've learned that Walker Foxhounds, like the dog I adopted, are used for hunting. They track down animals --- sometimes large animals like bears or large cats --- and attempt to chase them up a tree so the hunters can come shoot them. This is not only cruel to the animal being hunted, but the dog is forced to track and face a predator much larger than itself. The dogs are kept to hunt and are treated like livestock rather than the affectionate pets that they are. It sounds like a horrible life for a dog to live. Are there any groups working to end the use of dogs for hunting, and can anyone give me links?

Thanks.

- Muffy

Guest guest

Muffy

This is similar to foxhounds here. They are smashing animals, but are killed as puppies if they don't quickly learn to kill the fox cubs. They are kept in kennels, and when hunting the hunt doesn't care whether they run out in the road or not. Usually it is the sabs who stop them from getting run over. It really annoys the hunters that the dogs like being fussed over by the sabs. It's also a bit hard on the horses, especially if there is barbed wire about.

Jo

Bringing our pet discussion slightly more on-topic...I've learned that Walker Foxhounds, like the dog I adopted, are used for hunting. They track down animals --- sometimes large animals like bears or large cats --- and attempt to chase them up a tree so the hunters can come shoot them. This is not only cruel to the animal being hunted, but the dog is forced to track and face a predator much larger than itself. The dogs are kept to hunt and are treated like livestock rather than the affectionate pets that they are. It sounds like a horrible life for a dog to live. Are there any groups working to end the use of dogs for hunting, and can anyone give me links?

---Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).Version: 6.0.372 / Virus Database: 207 - Release 20/06/02

Guest guest

Hmm, maybe my dog was rejected because he didn't have the right hunting instinct. I don't know. Sounds like people are working to stop foxhunting in the UK, but I doubt there are any activist groups around here. The whole hunting thing is a big recreation industry.

- Muffy

-

Heartwork

Friday, July 12, 2002 7:20 PM

Re: the pet discussion - hunting dogs

Muffy

This is similar to foxhounds here. They are smashing animals, but are killed as puppies if they don't quickly learn to kill the fox cubs. They are kept in kennels, and when hunting the hunt doesn't care whether they run out in the road or not. Usually it is the sabs who stop them from getting run over. It really annoys the hunters that the dogs like being fussed over by the sabs. It's also a bit hard on the horses, especially if there is barbed wire about.

Jo

---Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).Version: 6.0.372 / Virus Database: 207 - Release 20/06/02To send an email to -