IndiaDivine.org

Toward Optimal Digestion (WAS: New regimen: Question about combining)

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

1. Maximum nutrient absorption typically occurs when we eat one food at a

time. All food combining represents at least some degree of compromise in

this regard.

2. Maximum nutrient absorption typically occurs when we exercise our

digestive system in accordance with its design. Chewing is part of that

time, and constant consumption of smoothies bypasses the design. This

undermines digestion in the mouth and signaling throughout the system.

People who improve when they begin eating " green smoothies " do so because

they improve their diet, not because they throw their food into a blender.

There are many misconceptions in the RF world, and this whole idea that WE

create or control " detox " is one. The body cleanses itself. EVERY living

organism cleanses itself. When we provide the ingredients needed to obtain

maximum nutrition in exchange for minimum effort required in digestion,

absorption, and digestive elimination, we hit a home run.

My suggestion is to focus upon creating wonderful health and let go of all

those ideas about " detoxing " . Your conscious mind couldn't keep up with your

body's cleansing activities if your life depended upon it!!! In fact, your

entire BRAIN cannot do so. If interested, look up something called the

" enteric brain " or " abdominal brain " (the latter being a term in older use).

Fascinating stuff (at least to me :).

Just eat well, live well, and stop trying so hard. Shift focus away from

food and toward the enjoyment of living. I imagine you know what I mean.

Best,

Elchanan

PS: Request ... please sign your posts. Otherwise, they all sound like they

came from the ether somewhere.

On Behalf Of

collage360

Thursday, August 02, 2007 1:42 PM

New regimen: Question about combining

O.K. So I have been one who has sat quietly on the sidelines and

observed the information here until I was ready to take the next (and what I

consider most natural) step and begin a raw lifestyle.

That being said, I am still in a transitional phase (meaning I am not 100%

raw. in fact, I am detoxing and following the guidelines set forth in

Natalia Rose's book " The Raw Food Detox Diet. " I find it easier doing it

this way then going cold turkey). I am mostly eating raw all day until

dinner.

But before I decided to start incorporating raw meals into the majority of

my day, I began drinking 1 liter of green smoothie every morning (it usually

last until around lunch). The green smoothies usually consists of 40%

greens (kale, spinach, broccoli, chard, collards, lettuce, etc. *whatever

I'm feeling that day) and 60% fruit.

Here's my question: When combining appropriately for maximum nutrient

absorption and digestion, are my green smoothies assisting or harming the

process? I'm trying to figure out at what point in the day is a good time

to have them. I read in Rose's book and within this group that it is best

to have fruit alone on an empty stomach first thing in the morning. I'm

with that. But does that mean I should save my green smoothie to enjoy

around mid morning (10ish)? I am also concerned that about the combination

of the fruits with the greens. I read that they are good combinations, but

then again, everything says fruit should be eaten alone. Can anyone help me

on this?

OHHHHH. and one more question: I have been doing light cardio. losing

weight steadily. But now, I want to add some strength training to my

routine and up my cardio significantly. When I strength trained years ago,

I would do my best if I had a blast of carbs before a work out and a dense

protein based meal afterward. My question is, for those who work out

regularly, when do you do it? And how do you prepare (meal wise) for before

and after workouts?

Thanks for your help in advance.

Peace.

Guest guest

interesting thoughts about optimal digestion, elchanan. you've given me something to think about.

collage360,

although, i am not a fitness pro, i can share with you from my personal experience. but i work out regularly (both cardio and resistance work) and have pretty well toned muscles and actually have to be careful not to get too bulky. i don't know your purpose for strength training (ie: to bulk up, to get stronger, to tone etc) but i do nothing differently. i may eat a bigger meal after my work out, a larger salad. But simply because i am hungrier. It seems to me that if you are eating nutrient dense food and doing the weight training, the body will do the rest.

i am interested in hearing the opinions of others on this.

-keda

On 8/2/07, Elchanan <Elchanan

> wrote:

1. Maximum nutrient absorption typically occurs when we eat one food at atime. All food combining represents at least some degree of compromise inthis regard. 2. Maximum nutrient absorption typically occurs when we exercise our digestive system in accordance with its design. Chewing is part of thattime, and constant consumption of smoothies bypasses the design. Thisundermines digestion in the mouth and signaling throughout the system. People who improve when they begin eating " green smoothies " do so becausethey improve their diet, not because they throw their food into a blender.There are many misconceptions in the RF world, and this whole idea that WE create or control " detox " is one. The body cleanses itself. EVERY livingorganism cleanses itself. When we provide the ingredients needed to obtainmaximum nutrition in exchange for minimum effort required in digestion, absorption, and digestive elimination, we hit a home run. My suggestion is to focus upon creating wonderful health and let go of allthose ideas about " detoxing " . Your conscious mind couldn't keep up with your body's cleansing activities if your life depended upon it!!! In fact, yourentire BRAIN cannot do so. If interested, look up something called the " enteric brain " or " abdominal brain " (the latter being a term in older use). Fascinating stuff (at least to me :). Just eat well, live well, and stop trying so hard. Shift focus away fromfood and toward the enjoyment of living. I imagine you know what I mean. Best,Elchanan PS: Request ... please sign your posts. Otherwise, they all sound like theycame from the ether somewhere.____________

On Behalf Ofcollage360Thursday, August 02, 2007 1:42 PM Subject: New regimen: Question about combiningO.K. So I have been one who has sat quietly on the sidelines and observed the information here until I was ready to take the next (and what Iconsider most natural) step and begin a raw lifestyle.That being said, I am still in a transitional phase (meaning I am not 100%

raw. in fact, I am detoxing and following the guidelines set forth inNatalia Rose's book " The Raw Food Detox Diet. " I find it easier doing itthis way then going cold turkey). I am mostly eating raw all day until dinner.But before I decided to start incorporating raw meals into the majority ofmy day, I began drinking 1 liter of green smoothie every morning (it usuallylast until around lunch). The green smoothies usually consists of 40% greens (kale, spinach, broccoli, chard, collards, lettuce, etc. *whateverI'm feeling that day) and 60% fruit.Here's my question: When combining appropriately for maximum nutrientabsorption and digestion, are my green smoothies assisting or harming the process? I'm trying to figure out at what point in the day is a good timeto have them. I read in Rose's book and within this group that it is bestto have fruit alone on an empty stomach first thing in the morning. I'm with that. But does that mean I should save my green smoothie to enjoyaround mid morning (10ish)? I am also concerned that about the combinationof the fruits with the greens. I read that they are good combinations, but then again, everything says fruit should be eaten alone. Can anyone help meon this?OHHHHH. and one more question: I have been doing light cardio. losingweight steadily. But now, I want to add some strength training to my routine and up my cardio significantly. When I strength trained years ago,I would do my best if I had a blast of carbs before a work out and a denseprotein based meal afterward. My question is, for those who work out regularly, when do you do it? And how do you prepare (meal wise) for beforeand after workouts?Thanks for your help in advance.Peace.

Guest guest

Generally, I believe this is good advice. However, I would also add the advice from Gandhi: Chew your liquids, and drink your food. Yes, one should take their time in chewing food, yet, one should also do the same with liquids. Specifically, smoothies do not 'bypass the design' of digestion, particularly if they are mixed (chewed) well with saliva before swallowing. In this way, the 'signals' do communicate with the system. In addition, smoothies can be especially beneficial for digestion efficiency. Without a doubt, depending on what one consumes (and the amount), digestion can require the expenditure of a lot of energy from the body. The blender actually takes on a part of the digestive process (through grinding and mixing). Thus, minimal additional digestion is required of the stomach, which then allows for faster absorption of the food; requiring less time in the stomach. Most definitely, one should not get into an

exclusive diet of smoothies; yet, there can be benefits. You're right in saying that the goal regarding detoxing is simply to eat well and live well. Living well takes care of everything. Peace Elchanan <Elchanan wrote: 1. Maximum nutrient absorption typically occurs when we eat one food at atime. All food combining represents at least some degree of compromise inthis regard. 2. Maximum nutrient absorption typically

occurs when we exercise ourdigestive system in accordance with its design. Chewing is part of thattime, and constant consumption of smoothies bypasses the design. Thisundermines digestion in the mouth and signaling throughout the system. People who improve when they begin eating "green smoothies" do so becausethey improve their diet, not because they throw their food into a blender.There are many misconceptions in the RF world, and this whole idea that WEcreate or control "detox" is one. The body cleanses itself. EVERY livingorganism cleanses itself. When we provide the ingredients needed to obtainmaximum nutrition in exchange for minimum effort required in digestion,absorption, and digestive elimination, we hit a home run. My suggestion is to focus upon creating wonderful health and let go of allthose ideas about "detoxing". Your conscious mind couldn't keep up with yourbody's cleansing activities if your

life depended upon it!!! In fact, yourentire BRAIN cannot do so. If interested, look up something called the"enteric brain" or "abdominal brain" (the latter being a term in older use).Fascinating stuff (at least to me :). Just eat well, live well, and stop trying so hard. Shift focus away fromfood and toward the enjoyment of living. I imagine you know what I mean. Best,ElchananPS: Request ... please sign your posts. Otherwise, they all sound like theycame from the ether somewhere.____________ On Behalf Ofcollage360Thursday, August 02, 2007 1:42 PM Subject: New regimen: Question about combiningO.K. So I have been one who has sat quietly

on the sidelines andobserved the information here until I was ready to take the next (and what Iconsider most natural) step and begin a raw lifestyle.That being said, I am still in a transitional phase (meaning I am not 100%raw. in fact, I am detoxing and following the guidelines set forth inNatalia Rose's book "The Raw Food Detox Diet." I find it easier doing itthis way then going cold turkey). I am mostly eating raw all day untildinner.But before I decided to start incorporating raw meals into the majority ofmy day, I began drinking 1 liter of green smoothie every morning (it usuallylast until around lunch). The green smoothies usually consists of 40%greens (kale, spinach, broccoli, chard, collards, lettuce, etc. *whateverI'm feeling that day) and 60% fruit.Here's my question: When combining appropriately for maximum nutrientabsorption and digestion, are my green smoothies assisting or harming

theprocess? I'm trying to figure out at what point in the day is a good timeto have them. I read in Rose's book and within this group that it is bestto have fruit alone on an empty stomach first thing in the morning. I'mwith that. But does that mean I should save my green smoothie to enjoyaround mid morning (10ish)? I am also concerned that about the combinationof the fruits with the greens. I read that they are good combinations, butthen again, everything says fruit should be eaten alone. Can anyone help meon this?OHHHHH. and one more question: I have been doing light cardio. losingweight steadily. But now, I want to add some strength training to myroutine and up my cardio significantly. When I strength trained years ago,I would do my best if I had a blast of carbs before a work out and a denseprotein based meal afterward. My question is, for those who work outregularly, when do you do it? And how do you prepare

(meal wise) for beforeand after workouts?Thanks for your help in advance.Peace.

Guest guest

Ashè...elchanan, like keda you have definitely given me something that raised my conscious I AFFIRM..."I eat well, live well & stop trying so hard. I shift focus away from food & towards the enjoyment of living life abundantly".

On Behalf Of keda maruFriday, August 03, 2007 7:36 AM Subject: Re: Toward Optimal Digestion (WAS: New regimen: Question about combining)

interesting thoughts about optimal digestion, elchanan. you've given me something to think about.

collage360,

although, i am not a fitness pro, i can share with you from my personal experience. but i work out regularly (both cardio and resistance work) and have pretty well toned muscles and actually have to be careful not to get too bulky. i don't know your purpose for strength training (ie: to bulk up, to get stronger, to tone etc) but i do nothing differently. i may eat a bigger meal after my work out, a larger salad. But simply because i am hungrier. It seems to me that if you are eating nutrient dense food and doing the weight training, the body will do the rest.

-keda

On 8/2/07, Elchanan <Elchanan (AT) pathofhealth (DOT) org > wrote:

1. Maximum nutrient absorption typically occurs when we eat one food at atime. All food combining represents at least some degree of compromise inthis regard. 2. Maximum nutrient absorption typically occurs when we exercise our digestive system in accordance with its design. Chewing is part of thattime, and constant consumption of smoothies bypasses the design. Thisundermines digestion in the mouth and signaling throughout the system. People who improve when they begin eating "green smoothies" do so becausethey improve their diet, not because they throw their food into a blender.There are many misconceptions in the RF world, and this whole idea that WE create or control "detox" is one. The body cleanses itself. EVERY livingorganism cleanses itself. When we provide the ingredients needed to obtainmaximum nutrition in exchange for minimum effort required in digestion, absorption, and digestive elimination, we hit a home run. My suggestion is to focus upon creating wonderful health and let go of allthose ideas about "detoxing". Your conscious mind couldn't keep up with your body's cleansing activities if your life depended upon it!!! In fact, yourentire BRAIN cannot do so. If interested, look up something called the"enteric brain" or "abdominal brain" (the latter being a term in older use). Fascinating stuff (at least to me :). Just eat well, live well, and stop trying so hard. Shift focus away fromfood and toward the enjoyment of living. I imagine you know what I mean. Best,Elchanan PS: Request ... please sign your posts. Otherwise, they all sound like theycame from the ether somewhere.____________ On Behalf Ofcollage360Thursday, August 02, 2007 1:42 PM Subject: New regimen: Question about combiningO.K. So I have been one who has sat quietly on the sidelines and observed the information here until I was ready to take the next (and what Iconsider most natural) step and begin a raw lifestyle.That being said, I am still in a transitional phase (meaning I am not 100%raw. in fact, I am detoxing and following the guidelines set forth inNatalia Rose's book "The Raw Food Detox Diet." I find it easier doing itthis way then going cold turkey). I am mostly eating raw all day until dinner.But before I decided to start incorporating raw meals into the majority ofmy day, I began drinking 1 liter of green smoothie every morning (it usuallylast until around lunch). The green smoothies usually consists of 40% greens (kale, spinach, broccoli, chard, collards, lettuce, etc. *whateverI'm feeling that day) and 60% fruit.Here's my question: When combining appropriately for maximum nutrientabsorption and digestion, are my green smoothies assisting or harming the process? I'm trying to figure out at what point in the day is a good timeto have them. I read in Rose's book and within this group that it is bestto have fruit alone on an empty stomach first thing in the morning. I'm with that. But does that mean I should save my green smoothie to enjoyaround mid morning (10ish)? I am also concerned that about the combinationof the fruits with the greens. I read that they are good combinations, but then again, everything says fruit should be eaten alone. Can anyone help meon this?OHHHHH. and one more question: I have been doing light cardio. losingweight steadily. But now, I want to add some strength training to my routine and up my cardio significantly. When I strength trained years ago,I would do my best if I had a blast of carbs before a work out and a denseprotein based meal afterward. My question is, for those who work out regularly, when do you do it? And how do you prepare (meal wise) for beforeand after workouts?Thanks for your help in advance.Peace.

Guest guest

Big :)

Elchanan

On Behalf Of Goss Renee YFriday, August 03, 2007 6:23 AM Subject: RE: Toward Optimal Digestion (WAS: New regimen: Question about combining)

Ashè...elchanan, like keda you have definitely given me something that raised my conscious I AFFIRM..."I eat well, live well & stop trying so hard. I shift focus away from food & towards the enjoyment of living life abundantly".

On Behalf Of keda maruFriday, August 03, 2007 7:36 AM Subject: Re: Toward Optimal Digestion (WAS: New regimen: Question about combining)

collage360,

-keda

On 8/2/07, Elchanan <Elchanan (AT) pathofhealth (DOT) org > wrote:

1. Maximum nutrient absorption typically occurs when we eat one food at atime. All food combining represents at least some degree of compromise inthis regard. 2. Maximum nutrient absorption typically occurs when we exercise our digestive system in accordance with its design. Chewing is part of thattime, and constant consumption of smoothies bypasses the design. Thisundermines digestion in the mouth and signaling throughout the system. People who improve when they begin eating "green smoothies" do so becausethey improve their diet, not because they throw their food into a blender.There are many misconceptions in the RF world, and this whole idea that WE create or control "detox" is one. The body cleanses itself. EVERY livingorganism cleanses itself. When we provide the ingredients needed to obtainmaximum nutrition in exchange for minimum effort required in digestion, absorption, and digestive elimination, we hit a home run. My suggestion is to focus upon creating wonderful health and let go of allthose ideas about "detoxing". Your conscious mind couldn't keep up with your body's cleansing activities if your life depended upon it!!! In fact, yourentire BRAIN cannot do so. If interested, look up something called the"enteric brain" or "abdominal brain" (the latter being a term in older use). Fascinating stuff (at least to me :). Just eat well, live well, and stop trying so hard. Shift focus away fromfood and toward the enjoyment of living. I imagine you know what I mean. Best,Elchanan PS: Request ... please sign your posts. Otherwise, they all sound like theycame from the ether somewhere.____________ On Behalf Ofcollage360Thursday, August 02, 2007 1:42 PM Subject: New regimen: Question about combiningO.K. So I have been one who has sat quietly on the sidelines and observed the information here until I was ready to take the next (and what Iconsider most natural) step and begin a raw lifestyle.That being said, I am still in a transitional phase (meaning I am not 100%raw. in fact, I am detoxing and following the guidelines set forth inNatalia Rose's book "The Raw Food Detox Diet." I find it easier doing itthis way then going cold turkey). I am mostly eating raw all day until dinner.But before I decided to start incorporating raw meals into the majority ofmy day, I began drinking 1 liter of green smoothie every morning (it usuallylast until around lunch). The green smoothies usually consists of 40% greens (kale, spinach, broccoli, chard, collards, lettuce, etc. *whateverI'm feeling that day) and 60% fruit.Here's my question: When combining appropriately for maximum nutrientabsorption and digestion, are my green smoothies assisting or harming the process? I'm trying to figure out at what point in the day is a good timeto have them. I read in Rose's book and within this group that it is bestto have fruit alone on an empty stomach first thing in the morning. I'm with that. But does that mean I should save my green smoothie to enjoyaround mid morning (10ish)? I am also concerned that about the combinationof the fruits with the greens. I read that they are good combinations, but then again, everything says fruit should be eaten alone. Can anyone help meon this?OHHHHH. and one more question: I have been doing light cardio. losingweight steadily. But now, I want to add some strength training to my routine and up my cardio significantly. When I strength trained years ago,I would do my best if I had a blast of carbs before a work out and a denseprotein based meal afterward. My question is, for those who work out regularly, when do you do it? And how do you prepare (meal wise) for beforeand after workouts?Thanks for your help in advance.Peace.