IndiaDivine.org

Green Smoothies Reconsidered: Masking of Nonfoods; Alkaloids, Casomorphins in Mother's Milk; Nature's Design (WAS: Toward Optimal Digestion (WAS: New regimen: Question about combining)

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Yes, I am aware of this teaching about chewing one's smoothies. But few, in my experience, possess such patience. And this "solution" does not address at all certain other concerns, set forth below.

1. Masking of Nonfoods

The current "green smoothie" fad masks a somewhat serious problem: People use the sweeter components in the smoothie to mask the unpleasant taste (and often texture) of certain greens that would otherwise be entirely unappetizing to the human palette. In other words, people are using blending to "force down" greens that are not food for our species and which they would otherwise never eat or eat only infrequently and/or in very small quantities.

Specifically, I have in mind those greens characterized by one or both of:

- Very bitter taste.

- Harsh, almost unchewable fiber.

Whenever we consume such greens, we bring into our system alkaloid substances that are explicitly not good for us. These substances have their place in Nature's design ... often as natural insecticides (e.g., caffeine).

In my brief forays into green-smoothie conversations, I have observed people expressing concern about overloading with alkaloids. The "solution" I heard discussed is to rotate the greens. But really, the correct solution is to stop eating that which is not food for our species.

A few examples of well-known alkaloid substances may help to bring home this point: caffeine, nicotine, theobromine, morphine, cocaine .... Hopefully, you can see where this is going. These are all stimulants, not foods, with certain very specific exceptions found embedded in Nature's design.

An example of such an exception is found in the mother's milk of most mammals. (I would say "all", but I have not checked for all mammalian species, nor am I certain that studies of such an extent have ever been conducted.) The milk contains a small quantity of substances that, when digested, break down into morphine-like byproducts. The best-known example are a family of substances called "casomorphins", byproducts of the digestion of the protein casein. These serve to hold a nursing infants interest in its own mother's milk until the time of weaning.

One significant challenge many humans now face is letting go of dairy, particularly cheese. This challenge arises partly because people are addicted to the salt in the cheese, and partly because the concentration of casein, and therefore of casomorphins, in the milks of ruminants, particularly cows, is many times that found in human mother's milk. In other words, people are genuinely physically addicted to dairy, and cheese in particular, where the concentration is highest due to withdrawal of all the water. For those interested in learning more about this particular topic, I recommend the Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine (www.pcrm.org) and in particular the writings of its leader, Neal Barnard, MD.

2. Green Smoothies Reconsidered

Let's look more thoughtfully, for a moment, at what changes are actually made by those who embrace green smoothies:

1. They increase their consumption of fruits. Therefore, they increase their consumption of oxygen, water, simple sugars, vitamins, minerals, etc.. In other words, oxygenation, hydration, fueling, and micronutrient availability all skyrocket.

2. They increase their overall consumption of greens, dramatically expanding consumption of minerals and phytonutrients, as well as both soluble and SOFT insoluble fiber.

3. They decrease their overall consumption of high-fat foods (nuts and seeds in particular).

4. They correspondingly decrease their consumption of HARD insoluble fiber (quasitree bark).

5. They decrease their overall consumption of calories ... a HUGE win in terms of cleansing and overall health.

6. They throw the food into a blender.

In other words, they improve the CONTENT of their diet dramatically. The quality of absorption this depends on the overall health of the individual, which now improves considerably.

And people give credit to the blender.

If this way of thinking and understanding appeals to you, then by all means, hold fast to it. It does not, however, appeal to me.

Best to all,

Elchanan

On Behalf Of PeacekeeperFriday, August 03, 2007 5:11 AM Subject: Re: Toward Optimal Digestion (WAS: New regimen: Question about combining)

Generally, I believe this is good advice. However, I would also add the advice from Gandhi: Chew your liquids, and drink your food. Yes, one should take their time in chewing food, yet, one should also do the same with liquids. Specifically, smoothies do not 'bypass the design' of digestion, particularly if they are mixed (chewed) well with saliva before swallowing. In this way, the 'signals' do communicate with the system. In addition, smoothies can be especially beneficial for digestion efficiency. Without a doubt, depending on what one consumes (and the amount), digestion can require the expenditure of a lot of energy from the body. The blender actually takes on a part of the digestive process (through grinding and mixing). Thus, minimal additional digestion is required of the stomach, which then allows for faster absorption of the food; requiring less time in the stomach.

Most definitely, one should not get into an exclusive diet of smoothies; yet, there can be benefits. You're right in saying that the goal regarding detoxing is simply to eat well and live well. Living well takes care of everything.

Peace

Elchanan <Elchanan wrote:

1. Maximum nutrient absorption typically occurs when we eat one food at a time. All food combining represents at least some degree of compromise in this regard.

2. Maximum nutrient absorption typically occurs when we exercise our digestive system in accordance with its design. Chewing is part of that time, and constant consumption of smoothies bypasses the design. This undermines digestion in the mouth and signaling throughout the system.

People who improve when they begin eating "green smoothies" do so because they improve their diet, not because they throw their food into a blender.

There are many misconceptions in the RF world, and this whole idea that WE create or control "detox" is one. The body cleanses itself. EVERY living organism cleanses itself. When we provide the ingredients needed to obtain maximum nutrition in exchange for minimum effort required in digestion, absorption, and digestive elimination, we hit a home run.

My suggestion is to focus upon creating wonderful health and let go of all those ideas about "detoxing". Your conscious mind couldn't keep up with your body's cleansing activities if your life depended upon it!!! In fact, your entire BRAIN cannot do so. If interested, look up something called the "enteric brain" or "abdominal brain" (the latter being a term in older use). Fascinating stuff (at least to me :).

Just eat well, live well, and stop trying so hard. Shift focus away from food and toward the enjoyment of living. I imagine you know what I mean.

Best, Elchanan

PS: Request ... please sign your posts. Otherwise, they all sound like they came from the ether somewhere. ____________

collage360

Thursday, August 02, 2007 1:42 PM

New regimen: Question about combining

O.K. So I have been one who has sat quietly on the sidelines and observed the information here until I was ready to take the next (and what I consider most natural) step and begin a raw lifestyle.

That being said, I am still in a transitional phase (meaning I am not 100% raw. in fact, I am detoxing and following the guidelines set forth in Natalia Rose's book "The Raw Food Detox Diet." I find it easier doing it this way then going cold turkey). I am mostly eating raw all day until dinner.

But before I decided to start incorporating raw meals into the majority of my day, I began drinking 1 liter of green smoothie every morning (it usually last until around lunch). The green smoothies usually consists of 40% greens (kale, spinach, broccoli, chard, collards, lettuce, etc. *whatever I'm feeling that day) and 60% fruit.

Here's my question: When combining appropriately for maximum nutrient absorption and digestion, are my green smoothies assisting or harming the process? I'm trying to figure out at what point in the day is a good time to have them. I read in Rose's book and within this group that it is best to have fruit alone on an empty stomach first thing in the morning. I'm with that. But does that mean I should save my green smoothie to enjoy around mid morning (10ish)? I am also concerned that about the combination of the fruits with the greens. I read that they are good combinations, but then again, everything says fruit should be eaten alone. Can anyone help me on this?

OHHHHH. and one more question: I have been doing light cardio. losing weight steadily. But now, I want to add some strength training to my routine and up my cardio significantly. When I strength trained years ago, I would do my best if I had a blast of carbs before a work out and a dense protein based meal afterward. My question is, for those who work out regularly, when do you do it? And how do you prepare (meal wise) for before and after workouts?

Thanks for your help in advance.

Peace