Newsvine

Reddit

Spurl

Print

Single page view

Reprints

Reader feedback

Text size:

Dave Warwak has taught art at Fox River Grove Middle School for eight years, and for most of that time, he was happy to eat meatloaf, hot dogs or whatever else the cafeteria workers dished out.But in January he became a vegan and started spreading the word about the benefits of a meatless diet to students at the McHenry County school. He even built an exhibit out of candy that depicted animals in cages and as road kill.On Thursday, Warwak said his crusade might cost him his job. He said he was told to stay away from class this week by administrators he described as "ardent meat-eaters."

Warwak, of Williams Bay, Wis., near Lake Geneva, said he is scheduled to meet with Fox River Grove District 3 officials Monday about the discussions he's had in class about vegetarianism, which excludes meats, and veganism, which excludes meats and other animal products such as milk. Officials asked him to leave the school Tuesday because he refused to stop talking about the harms humans cause animals, he said.Principal Tim Mahaffy declined to comment Thursday, calling the dispute a personnel issue. He would not discuss issues raised by Warwak or verify the teacher's version of events.The candy display came down after three days, when Mahaffy decided it was too much of a "PETA advertisement," Warwak said. The battle over diet lessons resumed this week after Warwak distributed the book "The Food Revolution" to his 8th-grade students and talked to his classes about vegetarianism."It's probably one of the most life-changing books a person can read," Warwak said of the book, written by John Robbins and subtitled, "How Your Diet Can Help Save Your Life and the World.""It's about how we're destroying the planet with pollution from factory farming," Warwak said. "It's about health. It's about living longer."Neither the American Civil Liberties Union nor the Illinois Education Association had an opinion on the case, but Warwak drew support from animal rights advocates."We believe that in a time when there's so much violence, especially in schools, that teachers who show kindness and compassion for all life should be commended," said Nathan Runkle, executive director of the Chicago-based Mercy for Animals advocacy group, which lobbies against factory farms."It's appropriate for students to learn about the horrendous cruelty that animals endure on factory farms, and about the benefits of a healthy diet."Runkle said his group plans to write a letter to the school in support of Warwak.People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals, or PETA, is giving Warwak its "Compassionate Educator" award, vice president Bruce Friedrich said. The group is also sending the school a letter in support of the teacher.Warwak, meanwhile, sees no problem discussing the topic he cares about passionately during art classes."It's art in every way," he said. "Art is something different for everyone. ... Art is like philosophy."District 3 Supt. Jacqueline Krause was out of the office Thursday and unavailable for comment. Warwak, who said he makes $55,000 per year, said he feels a responsibility to warn his students about the dangers of what he calls an unhealthy diet and to open their minds to new ideas."I'm telling kids, 'Don't believe everything you see and everything you read,'" he said. "I'm trying to get them curious enough to check things out for themselves."----------jjlongcstarks

More articles

2007, Chicago Tribune

Would you recommend this?

Rate it:

Read all 9 comments »

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator.

Images in the news

• Photos of the day • Celebrity sightings • Tribune photo page • Send us your photos

Sponsor: Ritz Camera

Search classifieds

Thanks for sharing this, as I am both a vegan and an educator. I believe that 'spreading the word' requires a balance between carrying out our job duties while, at the same time, respecting diversity; even though there be some conflict between the surrounding environment and our personal beliefs/lifestyle. I have found plenty of opportunities to share with others (both staff and students) without being 'radical' in my approach. Many students simply ask me why I am a vegetarian; many adults will comment on the 'glow' or how clear my skin is. Whenever there is inquiry, I simply share. I have seen several students in public places, and they comment on how I was the first vegetarian they ever met, and influenced them to become a vegetarian. No matter how much we know regarding the truth of what's going on behind the scene, we should never force our views or lifestyle on others. Will this teacher stand around and tell every child not to

eat hot dogs because of 'fillers' and nitrates? Maybe tell them not to eat the fries and the pizza because of the rancid oil and bleach white flour? Unfortunately, many already think that vegetarians and weird creatures who are a remnant of the 'hippie' era. We definitely don't need to give them any 'fuel for the fire'. Finally, being a teacher requires writing lesson plans that are then approved by the administrative staff. I wonder if this teacher followed this protocol. I totally agree with the Board's action. This was totally inappropriate!

Vegans and vegetarians are definitely the outcasts in society. Everyday when people see me eating my lunch they always comment. Sometimes they even ask to try something, or why I eat the way I do. Then I open up and tell them. Once I do, they usually come to me with questions about eating healthier, recipes, and how to become vegan, or vegetarian.It is interesting, when people realize the truth, how well they listen. A person I work with, and I get so many questions, we have decided to start giving presentations. We are teaming up and going to all the restaurants, and grocery stores and handing out letters, etc... on why GE (Genetically Engineered) products are so bad.In our lectures we will be covering pesticides, preservatives, GE stuff, raw foods, benefits of water, and possibly some environmental hazards; such as, plastics.--ScottDon't under estimate the wisdom of nature.If man made it, don't eat it.Raw Vegan--- totallyopen wrote:Peacekeeper <totallyopen Subject: Re: I wonder how students will interpret the school's actions hereFri, 7 Sep 2007 13:30:38 -0700 (PDT)Thanks for sharing this, as I am both a vegan and an educator. I believe that 'spreading the word' requires a balance between carrying out our job duties while, at the same time, respecting diversity; even though there be some conflict between the surrounding environment and our personal beliefs/lifestyle. I have found plenty of opportunities to share with others (both staff and students) without being 'radical' in my approach. Many students simply ask me why I am a vegetarian; many adults will comment on the 'glow' or how clear my skin is. Whenever there is inquiry, I simply share. I have seen several students in public places, and they comment on how I was the first vegetarian they ever met, and influenced them to become a vegetarian. No matter how much we know regarding the truth of what's going on behind the scene, we should never force our views or lifestyle on others. Will this teacher stand around and tell every child not toeat hot dogs because of 'fillers' and nitrates? Maybe tell them not to eat the fries and the pizza because of the rancid oil and bleach white flour? Unfortunately, many already think that vegetarians and weird creatures who are a remnant of the 'hippie' era. We definitely don't need to give them any 'fuel for the fire'. Finally, being a teacher requires writing lesson plans that are then approved by the administrative staff. I wonder if this teacher followed this protocol. I totally agree with the Board's action. This was totally inappropriate! Learn about the power of raw foods at ---> http://www.rawfoods.com