IndiaDivine.org

Tom's of Maine: Chemicals used in toothpastes (WAS: :teeth & cancer)

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Oh, I'm sorry to do this. SO many of the products we have "heard are safe" or "heard are healthy" are not, in fact, safe or healthful. We've done some looking into the Tom's product line in the past, and I wrote off to Laurie Masters, an excellent researcher (and also editor, and, as you'll see later today, author) to see whether she had kept anything from that bit of research we did. Please keep in mind that we were not rigorous in this instance; we were merely looking into things. (This means we may have missed something, somewhere. :) .

Please note, at the end of her comments, that Laurie believes Tom's is now owned by Colgate-Palmolive. I have verified this. From the Tom's of Maine website:

___

Tom’s of Maine is an independently run division of Colgate, a partnership we entered into in 2006 (read Tom and Kate's letter explaining how and why this decision was made). Colgate (CL) is a publicly traded company.

Source: Tom's of Main FAQ, under the question, "Is Tom's of Maine stock publicly traded?" http://snipurl.com/1qfib

If you read through this FAQ, they freely admit using SLS, carrageenan, fluoride. Naturally, they explain why it's just fine to do so--there is no question that they have bought hook, line, and sinker into the chemical industry's portrayal of these "fine substances".

___

The ONLY safe route of which I am aware is simply to STOP using products in and on one's body. Anything that is refined--dried, concentrated, filtered, etc.--is a processed product, not known to Nature, and therefore perceived by the body as foreign matter.

You'll save an immense amount of money, your body will FINALLY have an opportunity to cleanse itself, removing all the foreign matter absorbed over the years from using such products, and it won't be long before you begin to notice observable improvements in yourself ... your appearance, how you feel, etc.

As the saying says, "Just say 'No!' "

Here you go ..

Best to all,

Elchanan

Laurie Masters [Lauriem] Thursday, September 06, 2007 11:31 PMElchananRe: Re: RE:teeth & cancer

Well, MOST Tom's toothpastes contain fluoride, sodium lauryl sulfate, and carrageenan.

Sodium lauryl sulfate started its career as an industrial degreasant and garage floor cleaner. When applied to human skin it has the effect of stripping off the oil layer and then irritating and eroding the skin, leaving it rough and pitted. Carrageenan, a seaweed-based thickening agent, is on the list of substances that "may contain MSG or excitotoxins."

They do offer two herbal fluoride-free toothpastes, though most of the product line contains sodium monofluorophosphate.

The apparently "cleanest" product contains only one of the three (carrageenan). Tom's describes it thus:

Natural Clean & Gentle Care SLS-Free Antiplaque plus Whitening Fluoride-Free Toothpaste

A patent-pending breakthrough formula, our Natural Clean & Gentle Care Toothpaste uses the natural ingredient glycyrrhizin (from purified licorice root) to create a patent-pending natural foaming experience for ingredient dispersal without SLS. Glycyrrhizin needs no additional processing and is gentle on gums. The foaming properties of glycyrrhizin replace the need for SLS (which may, for some people, occasionally be irritating) or an SLS alternative.

Also, although Tom's claims to be "cruelty free," I heard the company is now owned by Colgate. If this is true, I probably wouldn't choose to support them, from an ethical standpoint.

L

On Behalf Of Collage BlazinThursday, September 06, 2007 2:32 PM Subject: Re: Re: RE:teeth & cancer

I brush with Tom's. And yes it is more expensive then, say, Colgate. As are the other all natural products I use. But I am in agreement with the previous poster... All of us are on separate paths, so that makes no one the "expert" of all. There is some common sense that follows the knowledge of that which we know could cause us harm. So I always advocate people utilizing their inner being to guide them more then what I have to say or anyone else for that matter. For me, the solution to well rounded, amazing health is: 1. A focused conscious mind on the NOW (and not one that is constantly trying to figure out ways to "fight" disease or bad health... that will only increase the bad health).2. Information knowledge. And that must be weighed and leavened depending on the sources of the information and the motives behind your wanting the info, and them giving the info.Respect!Collage

has anyone just tried, plain brushing (soft brush) and chewing on mint leaves? taraElchanan <Elchanan wrote: Oh, I'm sorry to do this. SO many of the products we have "heard are safe" or "heard are healthy" are not, in fact, safe or healthful. We've done some looking into the Tom's product line in the past, and I wrote off to Laurie Masters, an excellent researcher (and also editor, and, as

you'll see later today, author) to see whether she had kept anything from that bit of research we did. Please keep in mind that we were not rigorous in this instance; we were merely looking into things. (This means we may have missed something, somewhere. :) . Please note, at the end of her comments, that Laurie believes Tom's is now owned by Colgate-Palmolive. I have verified this. From the Tom's of Maine website: ___ Tom’s of Maine is an independently run division of Colgate, a partnership we entered into in 2006 (read

Tom and Kate's letter explaining how and why this decision was made). Colgate (CL) is a publicly traded company. Source: Tom's of Main FAQ, under the question, "Is Tom's of Maine stock publicly traded?" http://snipurl.com/1qfib If you read through this FAQ, they freely admit using SLS, carrageenan, fluoride.

Naturally, they explain why it's just fine to do so--there is no question that they have bought hook, line, and sinker into the chemical industry's portrayal of these "fine substances". ___ The ONLY safe route of which I am aware is simply to STOP using products in and on one's body. Anything that is refined--dried, concentrated, filtered, etc.--is a processed product, not known to Nature, and therefore perceived by the body as foreign matter. You'll save an immense amount of money, your body will FINALLY have an opportunity to cleanse itself, removing all the foreign matter absorbed over the years from using such products, and it won't be long before you begin to notice observable improvements in yourself ... your appearance, how you feel, etc. As the saying says, "Just say 'No!' " Here you go .. Best

to all, Elchanan ____________ Laurie Masters [Lauriem (AT) vibrantliving (DOT) org] Thursday, September 06, 2007 11:31 PMElchananRe: Re: RE:teeth & cancer Well, MOST Tom's toothpastes contain fluoride, sodium lauryl sulfate, and carrageenan. Sodium lauryl sulfate started its career as an industrial degreasant and garage floor cleaner. When applied to human skin it has the effect of stripping off the oil layer and then

irritating and eroding the skin, leaving it rough and pitted. Carrageenan, a seaweed-based thickening agent, is on the list of substances that "may contain MSG or excitotoxins." They do offer two herbal fluoride-free toothpastes, though most of the product line contains sodium monofluorophosphate. The apparently "cleanest" product contains only one of the three (carrageenan). Tom's describes it thus: Natural Clean & Gentle Care SLS-Free Antiplaque plus Whitening Fluoride-Free Toothpaste A patent-pending breakthrough formula, our Natural Clean & Gentle Care Toothpaste uses the natural

ingredient glycyrrhizin (from purified licorice root) to create a patent-pending natural foaming experience for ingredient dispersal without SLS. Glycyrrhizin needs no additional processing and is gentle on gums. The foaming properties of glycyrrhizin replace the need for SLS (which may, for some people, occasionally be irritating) or an SLS alternative. Also, although Tom's claims to be "cruelty free," I heard the company is now owned by Colgate. If this is true, I probably wouldn't choose to support them, from an ethical standpoint. L

On Behalf Of Collage BlazinThursday, September 06, 2007 2:32 PM Subject: Re: Re: RE:teeth & cancer I brush with Tom's. And yes it is more expensive then, say, Colgate. As are the other all natural products I use. But I am in agreement with the previous poster... All of us are on separate paths, so that makes no one the "expert" of all. There is some common sense that follows the knowledge of that which we know could cause us harm. So I always advocate people utilizing their inner being to guide them more then what I have to say or anyone else for that matter. For me, the solution to well rounded, amazing health is: 1. A focused conscious mind on the NOW (and not one that is constantly trying to figure out ways

to "fight" disease or bad health... that will only increase the bad health).2. Information knowledge. And that must be weighed and leavened depending on the sources of the information and the motives behind your wanting the info, and them giving the info.Respect!Collage Hugs from MD Tara proud mom of three great kids Sara 10, Joey 9, and Skylar 7