IndiaDivine.org

Frozen foods - Bananas!!!

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Hi Tara,

Bananas contain less water than do most fruits ... close to 70% by mass, vs. high 80s into the 90s for most fruits. And bananas contain more large fiber structures ... less vulnerable to the expansion of water (9% by volume) as it freezes. So the damage is considerably less pronounced. Many, many people freeze banananananananananas.

You may wish to consider this: eating cold foods is enervating, in and of itself. Perhaps mix one or two frozen bananas with the rest "normal" temperature???

Just thoughts!

Elchanan

On Behalf Of TaraMonday, September 10, 2007 12:32 PM Subject: Re: Frozen foods

mainly its bananas, i like to stock up and freeze them for smoothies, even for my kids. ive started giving them raw smoothies for breakfast in the morning and they like them cold. my old blender didnt crush up ice as well, but the new vita-mix does, so i use ice instead of the frozen fruit.

taraElchanan <Elchanan wrote:

Hi Tara,

Freezing does some damage to the foods, and the most rigorous raw-fooders avoid frozen foods. Speaking for myself only, I do eat frozen blackberries when they are out of season. Why? Because I LOVE them!!! And occasionally ... perhaps a couple of times a year ... frozen bananas, as in banananananananana ice cream.

What you put the frozen foods IN is really not the issue. The freezing itself causes the water in the fruits to expand, breaking apart the tissues. Some damage may occur to certain nutrients, as well. My impression ... and I have not studied this point with the same thoroughness as I have many others ... is that the damage is considerably less severe that that which occurs from cooking.

However, I have never heard of anyone being rushed to the hospital suffering from frozen foodosis, either. :) The MOST healthful choice is to eat only whole, FRESH foods, of course, and this is what I do ... except for those blackberries. So from my perspective, it's just a judgment call, a choice, as with all things.

:)

Elchanan

I imagine bananas are like anything else in the realm of physics. They contract when frozen, they do not expand. Heat causes expansion, and cold causes contraction. So I am not so sure your banana theory holds true.--ScottDon't under estimate the wisdom of nature.If man made it, don't eat it.PoisoningANation.com--- Elchanan wrote:"Elchanan" <Elchanan Frozen foods - Bananas!!!Mon, 10 Sep 2007 16:05:47 -0700

Hi Tara,

Bananas contain less water than do most fruits ... close to 70% by mass, vs. high 80s into the 90s for most fruits. And bananas contain more large fiber structures ... less vulnerable to the expansion of water (9% by volume) as it freezes. So the damage is considerably less pronounced. Many, many people freeze banananananananananas.

You may wish to consider this: eating cold foods is enervating, in and of itself. Perhaps mix one or two frozen bananas with the rest "normal" temperature???

Just thoughts!

Elchanan

Learn about the power of raw foods at ---> http://www.rawfoods.com

Scott when water is involved things expand - ever put a cup of water in the freezer or any left over food item that contains water? It will expand and push up the lid - think ice floating on top of the water.

www.healthylivingstrategies.net

On Behalf Of ScottTuesday, September 11, 2007 7:54 AM Subject: Re: Frozen foods - Bananas!!!

I imagine bananas are like anything else in the realm of physics. They contract when frozen, they do not expand. Heat causes expansion, and cold causes contraction. So I am not so sure your banana theory holds true.--ScottDon't under estimate the wisdom of nature.If man made it, don't eat it.PoisoningANation.com--- Elchanan (AT) PathOfHealth (DOT) org wrote:"Elchanan" <Elchanan (AT) PathOfHealth (DOT) org> Frozen foods - Bananas!!!Mon, 10 Sep 2007 16:05:47 -0700

Hi Tara,

Just thoughts!

Elchanan

Learn about the power of raw foods at ---> http://www.rawfoods.com

Doh, that's right. I wasn't thinking......... Sorry........lol :) Too early in the morning I guess.--ScottDon't under estimate the wisdom of nature.If man made it, don't eat it.PoisoningANation.com