IndiaDivine.org

Nuts and Seeds: High-Fat Foods, Not Proteins (WAS: Baltimore Family New to Raw Foodism)

Rate this topic

Guest guest

HI Scott,

From my perspective, "it depends". On what? On your goals for yourself. And only you can choose, of course.

If your goal is to achieve the best health you can, then my answer would be something like this: a daily maximum of 1 ounce of nuts and/or seeds OR 1/2 avocado. That's about 120 calories, give or take. But my goal is to limit total consumption of calories from fats to 10% or less of my total.

I realize that we each live in the circumstances we have created for ourselves, and I realize that, for many people, that does not involve money flowing freely. My partner routinely walks around certain areas nearby, picking up recyclables, receiving an extra USD 30-60/month for her efforts (plus the enjoyment of lots of walks around town). Some people tutor to bring in some extra funds. Some work in a farmers market, and receive free or discounted food there. And some may not be able to do any such thing(s), at least for the moment.

Speaking only for myself, I made a decision some years ago that buying the best food I can takes precedence over almost anything else. That's a choice, nothing more.

I don't know how helpful this response may be ... hope so!

Best,

Elchanan

On Behalf Of ScottTuesday, September 11, 2007 4:57 PM Subject: Re: Nuts and Seeds: High-Fat Foods, Not Proteins (WAS: Baltimore Family New to Raw Foodism)

Unfortunately, I cannot afford to eat 2300+ calories of fruits and veggies every day. Unless I am only eating coconuts, avocados, and bananas. Thus, I am forced to eat nuts and seeds to get my calories and fill me up. What is the recommended maximum amount of nuts/seeds one should consume per day?--Scott

Why limit your calories from fat? If it is good fat (essential from fruits, veggies, nuts and seeds - medium chain fatty acids), it is perfectly healthy, right? I will typically eat 2-3 avocados per day, and about 2-3 cups of nuts, and/or seeds. I eat a lot of coconuts too. Hopefully this isn't unhealthy.--ScottDon't under estimate the wisdom of nature.If man made it, don't eat it.PoisoningANation.com--- Elchanan wrote:"Elchanan" <Elchanan Nuts and Seeds: High-Fat Foods, Not Proteins (WAS: Baltimore Family New to Raw Foodism)Tue, 11 Sep 2007 19:29:50 -0700

HI Scott,

From my perspective, "it depends". On what? On your goals for yourself. And only you can choose, of course.

If your goal is to achieve the best health you can, then my answer would be something like this: a daily maximum of 1 ounce of nuts and/or seeds OR 1/2 avocado. That's about 120 calories, give or take. But my goal is to limit total consumption of calories from fats to 10% or less of my total.

I realize that we each live in the circumstances we have created for ourselves, and I realize that, for many people, that does not involve money flowing freely. My partner routinely walks around certain areas nearby, picking up recyclables, receiving an extra USD 30-60/month for her efforts (plus the enjoyment of lots of walks around town). Some people tutor to bring in some extra funds. Some work in a farmers market, and receive free or discounted food there. And some may not be able to do any such thing(s), at least for the moment.

Speaking only for myself, I made a decision some years ago that buying the best food I can takes precedence over almost anything else. That's a choice, nothing more.

I don't know how helpful this response may be ... hope so!

Best,

Elchanan

Learn about the power of raw foods at ---> http://www.rawfoods.com

Too much FAT is STILL too much fat! It is hard on the liver and gall bladder and will put on weight (which may or may not be desirable for you).

According to the World Health Organization and Dr. Graham we really only need 10% of our calories to be from Fat. Too much fat puts stress on the pancreas because it is harder for the insulin to work to get the glucose out to the cells - it kind of clogs up things.

I'm sure Elchanan will have more to add :-)

Oh, another point.

By eating so much fat you are not eating enough fruits and vegetables and thus missing out

on many vital phyto nutrients, antioxidants, vitamins, minerals, fiber.....

N.

What exactly do you mean by enough? I eat 10-15 servings per day. Is that not enough?My issue is that it would cost $300/day to get 2300 calories on just fruits and veggies. This is not practical.--ScottDon't under estimate the wisdom of nature.If man made it, don't eat it.POISONINGaNATION.com--- pnparlette wrote:<pnparletteRE: Nuts and Seeds: High-Fat Foods, Not Proteins (WAS: Baltimore Family New to Raw Foodism)Wed, 12 Sep 2007 17:20:17 -0400Oh, another point.By eating so much fat you are not eating enough fruits and vegetables and thus missing outon many vital phyto nutrients, antioxidants, vitamins, minerals, fiber.....N. Learn about the power of raw foods at ---> http://www.rawfoods.com

I thought that was the Long-Chain fatty acids that do that, not the Medium-Chain fatty acids found in most fruits and veggies.--ScottDon't under estimate the wisdom of nature.If man made it, don't eat it.POISONINGaNATION.com--- pnparlette wrote:<pnparletteRE: Nuts and Seeds: High-Fat Foods, Not Proteins (WAS: Baltimore Family New to Raw Foodism)Wed, 12 Sep 2007 17:18:44 -0400

Too much FAT is STILL too much fat! It is hard on the liver and gall bladder and will put on weight (which may or may not be desirable for you).

According to the World Health Organization and Dr. Graham we really only need 10% of our calories to be from Fat. Too much fat puts stress on the pancreas because it is harder for the insulin to work to get the glucose out to the cells - it kind of clogs up things.

Enough is when you feel satisfied on fruits and veggies (mainly fruits) so that you don't feel the need to eat more than 1 avocado or a few handfuls of nuts or coconut of the fatty foods.

I shop at Lancaster Foods in Jessup MD where I get organic produce in large quantity for a wonderful discount. You get things by the case. I don't recall where you live, but if you get a group of you to order (not sure of the minimum order) they will deliver it to you :-)

Call and ask them to email you an organic price list and then you call back with your order and you can go and pick it up (or see if they'll deliver) I always like to pick it up so I can look it over. Sometimes things look great and I'll get another or they don't look good and I'll not buy it. Then they adjust your ticket and you pay by check at the desk.

Talk to Josh - tell him Nancy Parlette sent you -

Joshua D Kay ( Lancaster Foods LLC )

(800)247-8125 - ext 164

www.healthylivingstrategies.net

On Behalf Of ScottThursday, September 13, 2007 9:17 AM Subject: RE: Nuts and Seeds: High-Fat Foods, Not Proteins (WAS: Baltimore Family New to Raw Foodism)

What exactly do you mean by enough? I eat 10-15 servings per day. Is that not enough?My issue is that it would cost $300/day to get 2300 calories on just fruits and veggies. This is not practical.--ScottDon't under estimate the wisdom of nature.If man made it, don't eat it.POISONINGaNATION.com--- pnparlette (AT) comcast (DOT) net wrote:<pnparlette (AT) comcast (DOT) net>RE: Nuts and Seeds: High-Fat Foods, Not Proteins (WAS: Baltimore Family New to Raw Foodism)Wed, 12 Sep 2007 17:20:17 -0400

Oh, another point.

By eating so much fat you are not eating enough fruits and vegetables and thus missing out

on many vital phyto nutrients, antioxidants, vitamins, minerals, fiber.....

N.

Any excess calories will be stored as fat (potential energy) short, medium, long, what ever length.

Nancy

www.healthylivingstrategies.net

On Behalf Of ScottThursday, September 13, 2007 9:19 AM Subject: RE: Nuts and Seeds: High-Fat Foods, Not Proteins (WAS: Baltimore Family New to Raw Foodism)

I thought that was the Long-Chain fatty acids that do that, not the Medium-Chain fatty acids found in most fruits and veggies.--ScottDon't under estimate the wisdom of nature.If man made it, don't eat it.POISONINGaNATION.com--- pnparlette (AT) comcast (DOT) net wrote:<pnparlette (AT) comcast (DOT) net>RE: Nuts and Seeds: High-Fat Foods, Not Proteins (WAS: Baltimore Family New to Raw Foodism)Wed, 12 Sep 2007 17:18:44 -0400

LOL ... love this one. Short and to the point!

Elchanan

On Behalf Of pnparletteSent: Thursday, September 13, 2007 7:04 AM Subject: RE: Nuts and Seeds: High-Fat Foods, Not Proteins (WAS: Baltimore Family New to Raw Foodism)

Any excess calories will be stored as fat (potential energy) short, medium, long, what ever length.

Nancy