IndiaDivine.org

Why limit calories from fat? - Addendum

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Hi Scott,

Laurie Masters took this sentence, which you wrote:

___

I will typically eat 2-3 avocados per day, and about 2-3 cups of nuts, and/or seeds. I eat a lot of coconuts too.

___

and offers this:

Avocados: 2.5 * 300 = 750 calories; 575 from fat.

Nuts/seeds: 2.5 * 820 = 2050 calories; 1500 from fat.

TOTAL: 2800 calories, 2075 from fat, NOT counting the coconut.

And then there's the rest of whatever he eats each day.

___

Thought this extra bit of input might be constructive, particularly since I recall your mentioning eating 2300 calories/day in another post. Of course, we do not know the size of the avocados, so that number could be off by as much as a couple hundred calories per day ... and it wouldn't make any meaningful difference at all.

Best,

Elchanan

On Behalf Of ElchananWednesday, September 12, 2007 12:09 PM Subject: Why limit calories from fat? (WAS: Nuts and Seeds: High-Fat Foods, Not Proteins)

Hi Scott,

Substances tend to be either "hydrophilic", hang out well in the presence of water, or "hydrophobic", shy away from water. (Of course this is a rather nontechnical description!. :)

When we consume many high-fat foods, the only way to maintain our weight is to consume relatively few high-water-content foods. Most of the nutrients we require travel in water. Further, most nutrients that travel well with fat, we can store. In contrast, many nutrients that travel well with water, we cannot store, or at least not for very long. The most obvious example is sugar (simple sugars, primarily glucose): Our bodies convert sugar into starch (glycogen) or into fat for storage.

So when we overemphasize high-fat foods, we undereat high-water-content foods, and therefore we undereat ALL those nutrients that travel in high-water-content foods ... many vitamins (and those we need the most of, such as C), many minerals, and so forth.

Now, if one is coming from some version of SAD, then almost ANY RF diet taught is an improvement, and one improves. But over time, one plateaus, begins to experience symptoms such as loss of energy, sometimes a bit of lightheadedness, loss of focus/concentration, etc. Other factors may be involved, but this is a natural outcome of underconsuming tens of thousands of nutrients, water, and oxygen.

Make sense? Ask more if you wish!

Elchanan

On Behalf Of ScottWednesday, September 12, 2007 8:18 AM Subject: Re: Nuts and Seeds: High-Fat Foods, Not Proteins (WAS: Baltimore Family New to Raw Foodism)

Why limit your calories from fat? If it is good fat (essential from fruits, veggies, nuts and seeds - medium chain fatty acids), it is perfectly healthy, right? I will typically eat 2-3 avocados per day, and about 2-3 cups of nuts, and/or seeds. I eat a lot of coconuts too. Hopefully this isn't unhealthy.--Scott

We newbies need it though. It's comfort food, keeps us from ditching

the whole plan. I try not to eat more than 1/2c of nuts a day but I

know sometimes I go over (usually at the buffet LOL) and do salads

only for a few days. I've read that sprouted nuts/seeds contain less

fat than raw nuts/seeds, although I imagine only marginally so. In

any case, I'm still dropping about 2lbs per week. The standard

message out there is that it is not healthy to drop weight rapidly,

so I'm using the scale as a gauge. Also I do not feel hungry, which

I take as a good sign. I eat a variety of greens. I need to go back

to sprouting on my own. It's fall so too late to plant in my area

but you betcha I've got plans for spring! :)

WOW.........Can you give me an example of a days meal plan? Everything in all my recipe books has nuts and seeds. I guess I will start stocking up on apples, oranges, bananas, and stuff. I need to try making some crackers and stuff.--ScottDon't under estimate the wisdom of nature.If man made it, don't eat it.POISONINGaNATION.com--- Elchanan wrote:"Elchanan" <Elchanan Why limit calories from fat? - AddendumWed, 12 Sep 2007 14:12:05 -0700

Hi Scott,

___

I will typically eat 2-3 avocados per day, and about 2-3 cups of nuts, and/or seeds. I eat a lot of coconuts too.

___

and offers this:

___

Thought this extra bit of input might be constructive, particularly since I recall your mentioning eating 2300 calories/day in another post. Of course, we do not know the size of the avocados, so that number could be off by as much as a couple hundred calories per day ... and it wouldn't make any meaningful difference at all.

Best,

Elchanan

Learn about the power of raw foods at ---> http://www.rawfoods.com

Hi Scott,

I encourage you to buy Doug Graham's book, The 80/10/10 Diet, there are pages and pages of recipes, a whole section for each season. Also, the testimonials are VERY informative. (And of course, the book is, too. :) I also encourage you to buy Laurie Masters' new publication, The 80/10/10 Success Guide. ALL of my nutrient information comes from there. Why? The USDA database is a pain in the < add organ name > to use!!! It's filled with thousands of foods in which I have no interest whatsoever, and it's not sitting on my desk. There should be an email on the new guide in this group sometime next week.

To be honest, I'm a rather mediocre resource for recipes. I say things like:

1. Pick up banana.

2. Pull back peel.

3. Eat.

I find the utter simplicity of eating this way to be most appealing, and I realize that others feel differently. Anyway, I'll try one recipe:

Banana Wraps

1. Get a large lettuce leaf in good condition

(solid, few or no holes). Romaine works well.

2. Peel one banana and place banana on lettuce leaf.

3. Pit 2 dates, blend with water to desired thickness.

4. Pour date sauce over banana.

5. Roll up the lettuce and eat.

I realize that this approach differs "a wee bit" from all those RF recipes that use a bezillion ingredients. In Nature, there are no species of which I am aware that combine foods to any degree. So either the human digestive system is entirely unique upon the planet, or we, too, are designed to eat simply ... and simply, to eat. :)

Best,

Elchanan

On Behalf Of ScottWednesday, September 12, 2007 6:16 PM Subject: Re: Why limit calories from fat? - Addendum

WOW.........Can you give me an example of a days meal plan? Everything in all my recipe books has nuts and seeds. I guess I will start stocking up on apples, oranges, bananas, and stuff. I need to try making some crackers and stuff.--ScottDon't under estimate the wisdom of nature.If man made it, don't eat it.POISONINGaNATION.com--- Elchanan wrote:"Elchanan" <Elchanan Why limit calories from fat? - AddendumWed, 12 Sep 2007 14:12:05 -0700

Hi Scott,

___

___

and offers this:

___

Best,

Elchanan

Are you trying to loose weight? I am not. So for I have not lost much; just 3-4 pounds, and I now seem to be maintaining it.--ScottDon't under estimate the wisdom of nature.If man made it, don't eat it.POISONINGaNATION.com--- poppys_pad wrote:"Poppy" <poppys_pad Subject: Re: Why limit calories from fat? - AddendumWed, 12 Sep 2007 22:00:14 -0000

We newbies need it though. It's comfort food, keeps us from ditching

the whole plan. I try not to eat more than 1/2c of nuts a day but I

know sometimes I go over (usually at the buffet LOL) and do salads

only for a few days. I've read that sprouted nuts/seeds contain less

fat than raw nuts/seeds, although I imagine only marginally so. In

any case, I'm still dropping about 2lbs per week. The standard

message out there is that it is not healthy to drop weight rapidly,

so I'm using the scale as a gauge. Also I do not feel hungry, which

I take as a good sign. I eat a variety of greens. I need to go back

to sprouting on my own. It's fall so too late to plant in my area

but you betcha I've got plans for spring! :)

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Scott, no I'm not. I eat a lot of fat calories. I think more now

than ever with the nuts & avocadoes actually and yet my weight has

stayed the same. I do try to load up on greens & nutrient rich veggies

but without the fat calories I get to feeling hungry. Eating high

calorie during the day keeps me from binge eating who knows what before

bedtime. :)

Re: Re: Why limit calories from fat? - Addendum

Are you trying to loose weight? I am not. So for I have not lost

much; just 3-4 pounds, and I now seem to be maintaining it.

--

Scott

Don't under estimate the wisdom of nature.

If man made it, don't eat it.

POISONINGaNATION.com