IndiaDivine.org

DC - Free Community Yoga for Breast Cancer Awareness Month in October

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Blessings All, My name is Ananda Kiamsha Madelyn Leeke, Registered Yoga Teacher and Founder of kg yoga. I am the granddaughter of Frederica Stanley Roberts Leeke affectionately known as "Freddie." In 1989, my grandmother Freddie learned that she had breast cancer. As a result, she had to have both of her breasts removed. At the ripe age of 74, Freddie's life changed dramatically. I watched her go through chemotherapy. It was no easy fete, but that feisty five foot one warrior woman with beautiful silver hair navigated her healing process and made it to other side of remission. It lasted for awhile until 1995. That Christmas Eve, Freddie and I were sitting in my parents' living room. She looked deep into my eyes and confessed with tears how much pain she was in. Her cancer had come back. Six months later in June 1996, I was sitting in a hotel room in Istanbul, Turkey. I felt a chill go up my spine. Tears flowed down my face

as I felt Freddie's spirit passing from this life. The next day, I learned that she had died. I was not able to attend her funeral, but e-mailed a poem to be read during her service. It honored the beauty and complexity of Freddie's spirit and life. Today, I honor Freddie's life and breast cancer journey by working as an artist-in-residence for Smith Farm Center for Healing and the Arts (www.smithfarm.com) at Howard University Hospital. Each week, I engage cancer patients in creative expression, guiding them to tap inherent creative and cultural roots through breathing, relaxation, and reiki healing touch exercises; and a variety of mediums including visual arts, music, storytelling, and creative writing. Last year, I decided to use my gift of yoga teaching to honor her spirit during Breast Cancer Awareness Month with a free community yoga session in Malcolm X-Meridian Hill Park. This year, I am called to expand my service by

providing 8 Free Community Morning Yoga sessions. I invite you and your family, friends, and colleagues to join me honoring the healing journey and life of individuals and families impacted by breast cancer during Breast Cancer Awareness Month in October by jumpstarting your Autumn yoga practice with kg yoga's Free Community Morning Yoga on the following Sundays and Mondays in Malcolm X/Meridian Hill Park in Washington, DC: 1) Sundays, 9:30am-10:00am - October 7, 14, 21, 28 2) Mondays, 7:00am-7:30am - October 8, 15, 22, and 29 The yoga session will last 30 minutes and include an opening meditation, warm-up, six rounds of kind and gentle sun salutations, and closing meditation. The group will practice yoga in front of the waterfall located near the entrance facing 16th Street and Florida Avenue, NW. Please bring your own yoga mat and bath towel for seated positions. Dress

comfortably in loose clothing. Try not to drink or eat two hours before the yoga session. For more information, contact kiamshaleeke or visit http://kgyoga.blogspot.com. If you are unable to participate, I encourage you to: 1) become involved in a breast cancer or cancer/related awareness event or organization as a participant or volunteer, 2) spend your money mindfully by purchasing breast cancer paraphernalia that donates proceeds to breast cancer organizations and research 3) support a breast cancer or cancer-related event, research, organization, or hospital program with a financial donation (i.e. Smith Farm Center for Healing and the Arts is a great organization to support! Visit www.smithfarm.com or contact 202-483-8600). Namaste, Ananda Kiamsha Madelyn Leeke, RYT kg yoga "YOGA is Your Opportunity to Graciously Accept yourself" kiamshaleeke http://kgyoga.blogspot.com PS: Reminders -- kg yoga FREE Community Yoga Reminders in September - December A. kg yoga's Global Mala Project for Peace Awareness will be held September 14-22, 2007 in Malcolm X/Meridian Hill Park. It is dedicated to reminding individuals that they have the power to create more peace in the world through mindfulness in their daily lives. Each FREE yoga session will include 6 sun salutations and 6 minutes of meditation. The group will practice yoga in front of the waterfall located near the entrance facing 16th Street and Florida Avenue, NW. Please bring your own yoga mat and bath towel for seated position. REMAINING SCHEDULE 1) Monday, September 17 - Friday, September 21: 7-7:30am and 7-7:30pm

2) Saturday, September 22: 9:30am-10am and 5:00pm-5:30pm B. C-OM-Munity Circles of Healing Light and Love at Malcolm X/Meridian Hill Park will be held on the following Sunday mornings from 9:30am-10am (group will practice yoga in front of the waterfall located near the entrance facing 16th Street and Florida Avenue, NW; bring your own yoga mat and bath towel for seated position): 1) November 4 - The short morning yoga practice will be dedicated to American Diabetes Month. 2) December 2 - The short morning yoga practice will be dedicated to World AIDS Day. NOTE: Check out my debut novel entitled Love's Troubadours - Karma: Book One (iUniverse - August 2007 - $20.95) on Amazon.com. The main character is an African American female yoga teacher who confronts the effects of her poor life choices and embraces a spiritual journey of healing and love in Washington, DC. For more information, visit

www.myspace.com/lovestroubadours.

Need a vacation? Get great deals to amazing places on Travel.