U.S. South.)

Jo, in New York State

Hey,

That has to be one of the hardest veggies to work with! That slimy crap is

the result (or so I heard) of overcooking. If okra isn't cooked just right,

you'll get the slime, and it is intolerable, in my humblest of culinary

opinions. :-)

~Emmy~

P.S. I don't eat okra anymore. I quit trying to make it taste good. Lol!

Dear Christine: This is pretty typical of okra. Go ahead and put it in your soup though because unless you use a lot of it I think you won't even notice the "gel" aka slime. I like okra with stewed tomatoes and hot sauce also cooked with onions and curry powder. Good luck, Carla

-

turknyr8

Thursday, September 14, 2000 10:20 PM

Okra (frozen)

Fellow Veggies,In my quest to find new vegetables to experiment with, I decided to get some okra. I've tasted it in other recipes at restaurants and liked it. However, the only type available where I am is the frozen kind. I bought a bag that I would like to use in my homemade soup but first I thought I'd try it out over rice. I put the frozen okra in a tiny bit of water, brought it to a boil, then simmered it for a few minutes as the package said. After a few minutes it looked and tasted good, but just a few short minutes later the okra was oozing a clear, slimy gel. Sorry to sound so graphic but that is the only way I can decribe it. I then put it over the rice, but the gel trailed off of every forkful. What did I do wrong or is the typical of okra? I personally think I may have overcooked it.If I put it in my soup today, will it do the same thing? Would it be better to drop the frozen okra into the broth towards the end of the cooking or at the start, so the gel cooks itself off?Help!Christinecontact owner: -owner Mail list: Delivered-mailing list List-Un: - no flaming arguing or denigration of others allowedcontact owner with complaints regarding posting/list or anything else. Thank you.please share/comment/inform and mostly enjoy this list