transported to work. I'm sure there are ways, but I've never been a cook and

I'm just trying to learn now.

Preston

This is a UK book, but probably available from amazon or someone. A friend gave

it to me for Christmas, & I *love* it. In the last 3

weeks I've made about 10 or 12 recipes from it. They have all been fantastic, &

apart from one which took about 40 minutes (mostly

without my attention tho) they have all taken under 30 minutes. Very easy, fast

& delicious. The book is called " Cranks Fast Food " .

Definitely recommend it. Some of the recipes would be suitable for transporting

to work too.

Deborah

-

" Preston Crawford " <prestonc

Saturday, January 13, 2001 6:54 PM

One more question in the same vein about cookbooks

> I should also be more clear and say that when I'm looking for a cookbook,

> I'd like to find one that is geared towards foods you'd eat during a work

> week. I find that to be very difficult, eating vegetarian, eating well, and

> having foods that are quick to prepare and can be refrigerated and

> transported to work. I'm sure there are ways, but I've never been a cook and

> I'm just trying to learn now.

>

> Preston

>

>

> contact owner: -owner

> Mail list:

> Delivered-mailing list

> List-Un: -

>

> no flaming arguing or denigration of others allowed

> contact owner with complaints regarding posting/list

> or anything else. Thank you.

> please share/comment/inform and mostly enjoy this list

>

>

>

>

>

a cookbook that i like is the McDougall Quick and Easy Cookbook, by Dr. John McDougall and Mary McDougall. There is also a book called Vegetarian Express Lane, i don't remember the author. OH! and one more that is priceless for easy cooking is called "the Student's Vegetarian Cookbook" by Carole Raymond. I suggest going to your local library and borrowing them, if you can, thats how i try out all the cookbooks before i buy them!!! :) good luck! are you ovo-lacto vegetarian or vegan? perhaps that will help us we can post some recipes for you ;)

cherrie

"I have from an early age abjured the use of meat, and the time will come when men such as I will look upon the murder of animals as they now look upon the murder of men." Leonardo Da Vinci

www.calypso.com/glittersvegpage

join my veggie icq active list! active list #73313964my icq number: 47113685

I should also be more clear and say that when I'm looking for a cookbook,I'd like to find one that is geared towards foods you'd eat during a workweek. I find that to be very difficult, eating vegetarian, eating well, andhaving foods that are quick to prepare and can be refrigerated andtransported to work. I'm sure there are ways, but I've never been a cook andI'm just trying to learn now.Prestoncontact owner: -owner Mail list: Delivered-mailing list List-Un: - no flaming arguing or denigration of others allowedcontact owner with complaints regarding posting/list or anything else. Thank you.please share/comment/inform and mostly enjoy this list

Actually, I didn't want to offend anyone by admitting to this, but I'm not vegetarian. I'm eat vegetarian most of the time, meaning I do eat fish and chicken rarely, but don't eat red meat or pork and I've scaled back considerably on everything else (maybe one serving of meat a week.) That's where my problem comes in. Since I'm new to this I'm not good at putting meals together which give me the proper nutrients, but are quick and easy. It was much easier, but far less healthy, when I could just go grab a burger. I haven't had a non-garden burger in almost 2 years, though so it hasn't been that tough. I just need to find creative things to eat that keep me from eating what I usually eat (spinach, bread, pasta, etc.)

Preston

glitterophelia [glitterophelia]Saturday, January 13, 2001 1:08 PM Subject: Re: One more question in the same vein about cookbooks

a cookbook that i like is the McDougall Quick and Easy Cookbook, by Dr. John McDougall and Mary McDougall. There is also a book called Vegetarian Express Lane, i don't remember the author. OH! and one more that is priceless for easy cooking is called "the Student's Vegetarian Cookbook" by Carole Raymond. I suggest going to your local library and borrowing them, if you can, thats how i try out all the cookbooks before i buy them!!! :) good luck! are you ovo-lacto vegetarian or vegan? perhaps that will help us we can post some recipes for you ;)

cherrie

"I have from an early age abjured the use of meat, and the time will come when men such as I will look upon the murder of animals as they now look upon the murder of men." Leonardo Da Vinci

www.calypso.com/glittersvegpage

join my veggie icq active list! active list #73313964my icq number: 47113685

I should also be more clear and say that when I'm looking for a cookbook,I'd like to find one that is geared towards foods you'd eat during a workweek. I find that to be very difficult, eating vegetarian, eating well, andhaving foods that are quick to prepare and can be refrigerated andtransported to work. I'm sure there are ways, but I've never been a cook andI'm just trying to learn now.Prestoncontact owner: -owner Mail list: Delivered-mailing list List-Un: - no flaming arguing or denigration of others allowedcontact owner with complaints regarding posting/list or anything else. Thank you.please share/comment/inform and mostly enjoy this listcontact owner: -owner Mail list: Delivered-mailing list List-Un: - no flaming arguing or denigration of others allowedcontact owner with complaints regarding posting/list or anything else. Thank you.please share/comment/inform and mostly enjoy this list

well Preston, welcome!! we are here to help!!! :) i understand needing things to be easy! i commute two hours a day to my full time job, and i'm also in college. so i have very little time as well, to cook. What about veggie sandwiches?? veggie chilis and soups? if you have one day at the beginning of the week, you could always make something big, and then reheat it for the rest of the week. i know a guy that makes a huge veggie stirfry on the weekend, and then eats it all week long.

i know how you feel, i grab a lot of veggie burgers!!! lol....except i'm completely vegan.

another quick idea : get some whole wheat pita bread, a jar of your favorite spaghetti sauce, and some good veggie toppings, and make pita pizzas! they are quick and healthy!!! :)

cherrie

Preston wrote:

Actually, I didn't want to offend anyone by admitting to this, but I'm not vegetarian. I'm eat vegetarian most of the time, meaning I do eat fish and chicken rarely, but don't eat red meat or pork and I've scaled back considerably on everything else (maybe one serving of meat a week.) That's where my problem comes in. Since I'm new to this I'm not good at putting meals together which give me the proper nutrients, but are quick and easy. It was much easier, but far less healthy, when I could just go grab a burger. I haven't had a non-garden burger in almost 2 years, though so it hasn't been that tough. I just need to find creative things to eat that keep me from eating what I usually eat (spinach, bread, pasta, etc.)

I think veggie chilis and soups sound like the best ways to go. I just need to find a good cookbook with some inventive ideas that use normal, easy-to-find ingredients. Or maybe even a half-dozen good recipes.

Preston

glitterophelia [glitterophelia]Sunday, January 14, 2001 11:05 AM Subject: Re: One more question in the same vein about cookbooks

well Preston, welcome!! we are here to help!!! :) i understand needing things to be easy! i commute two hours a day to my full time job, and i'm also in college. so i have very little time as well, to cook. What about veggie sandwiches?? veggie chilis and soups? if you have one day at the beginning of the week, you could always make something big, and then reheat it for the rest of the week. i know a guy that makes a huge veggie stirfry on the weekend, and then eats it all week long.

i know how you feel, i grab a lot of veggie burgers!!! lol....except i'm completely vegan.

another quick idea : get some whole wheat pita bread, a jar of your favorite spaghetti sauce, and some good veggie toppings, and make pita pizzas! they are quick and healthy!!! :)

cherrie

Preston wrote:

Actually, I didn't want to offend anyone by admitting to this, but I'm not vegetarian. I'm eat vegetarian most of the time, meaning I do eat fish and chicken rarely, but don't eat red meat or pork and I've scaled back considerably on everything else (maybe one serving of meat a week.) That's where my problem comes in. Since I'm new to this I'm not good at putting meals together which give me the proper nutrients, but are quick and easy. It was much easier, but far less healthy, when I could just go grab a burger. I haven't had a non-garden burger in almost 2 years, though so it hasn't been that tough. I just need to find creative things to eat that keep me from eating what I usually eat (spinach, bread, pasta, etc.)contact owner: -owner Mail list: Delivered-mailing list List-Un: - no flaming arguing or denigration of others allowedcontact owner with complaints regarding posting/list or anything else. Thank you.please share/comment/inform and mostly enjoy this list

Preston, this is my recipe for veggie chilli.

1 large onion

2-5 cloves garlic (depending on your taste)

2-3 jalapeno peppers (taste again)

1 large can of tomato/pasta sauce

1 can kidney beans

1 can black beans

1 can chick peas

3 tomatoes chopped

1 green pepper chopped

2 tbs. olive oil

3 tbs. chilli powder

1 beer

Slightly soften garlic and onion in oil over medium heat for 5 minutes.

Add whole jalapenos, tomato and green pepper and cook for 5 minutes further.

Add remaining ingredients, stir a few times, cover and lower heat to medium

low and leave for 30 minutes. Set temp to low and leave for 2-3 hours.

It's not really necessary to cook the remaining 2-3 hours but it really

adds a full flavour. Trevor Taylor.

Preston Crawford wrote:

I

think veggie chilis and soups sound like the best ways to go. I just need

to find a good cookbook with some inventive ideas that use normal, easy-to-find

ingredients. Or maybe even a half-dozen good recipes.Preston

eGroups Sponsor

http//:killeatexploittheweak.aboveme.com

hi Trevor,

how much is the quantity of beer, it has been left out.

love light & a smile

Serene Gaze

Trevor & Laura [taylortl]Monday, January 15, 2001 1:48 PM Subject: Re: One more question in the same vein about cookbooksPreston, this is my recipe for veggie chilli. 1 large onion 2-5 cloves garlic (depending on your taste) 2-3 jalapeno peppers (taste again) 1 large can of tomato/pasta sauce 1 can kidney beans 1 can black beans 1 can chick peas 3 tomatoes chopped 1 green pepper chopped 2 tbs. olive oil 3 tbs. chilli powder 1 beer Slightly soften garlic and onion in oil over medium heat for 5 minutes. Add whole jalapenos, tomato and green pepper and cook for 5 minutes further. Add remaining ingredients, stir a few times, cover and lower heat to medium low and leave for 30 minutes. Set temp to low and leave for 2-3 hours. It's not really necessary to cook the remaining 2-3 hours but it really adds a full flavour. Trevor Taylor. Preston Crawford wrote:

I think veggie chilis and soups sound like the best ways to go. I just need to find a good cookbook with some inventive ideas that use normal, easy-to-find ingredients. Or maybe even a half-dozen good recipes.Preston

eGroups Sponsor

I hope the beer isn't essential to the taste. I can't drink alcohol.

Preston

Serene Gaze [rudyz]Sunday, January 14, 2001 10:48 PM Subject: RE: One more question in the same vein about cookbooks

hi Trevor,

how much is the quantity of beer, it has been left out.

love light & a smile

Serene Gaze

Trevor & Laura [taylortl]Monday, January 15, 2001 1:48 PM Subject: Re: One more question in the same vein about cookbooksPreston, this is my recipe for veggie chilli. 1 large onion 2-5 cloves garlic (depending on your taste) 2-3 jalapeno peppers (taste again) 1 large can of tomato/pasta sauce 1 can kidney beans 1 can black beans 1 can chick peas 3 tomatoes chopped 1 green pepper chopped 2 tbs. olive oil 3 tbs. chilli powder 1 beer Slightly soften garlic and onion in oil over medium heat for 5 minutes. Add whole jalapenos, tomato and green pepper and cook for 5 minutes further. Add remaining ingredients, stir a few times, cover and lower heat to medium low and leave for 30 minutes. Set temp to low and leave for 2-3 hours. It's not really necessary to cook the remaining 2-3 hours but it really adds a full flavour. Trevor Taylor. Preston Crawford wrote:

I think veggie chilis and soups sound like the best ways to go. I just need to find a good cookbook with some inventive ideas that use normal, easy-to-find ingredients. Or maybe even a half-dozen good recipes.Preston

eGroups Sponsor

http//:killeatexploittheweak.aboveme.com contact owner: -owner Mail list: Delivered-mailing list List-Un: - no flaming arguing or denigration of others allowedcontact owner with complaints regarding posting/list or anything else. Thank you.please share/comment/inform and mostly enjoy this list

I use a standard size bottle. It's not required but I like the flavour

it imparts. Trevor.

Serene Gaze wrote:

hi

Trevor,

how

much is the quantity of beer, it has been left out.

love light & a smile

Serene Gaze

-----Original

Message-----

Trevor & Laura [taylortl]

Monday, January 15,

2001 1:48 PM

Re:

One more question in the same vein about cookbooks

Preston, this is my recipe for veggie chilli.

1 large onion

2-5 cloves garlic (depending on your taste)

2-3 jalapeno peppers (taste again)

1 large can of tomato/pasta sauce

1 can kidney beans

1 can black beans

1 can chick peas

3 tomatoes chopped

1 green pepper chopped

2 tbs. olive oil

3 tbs. chilli powder

1 beer

Slightly soften garlic and onion in oil over medium heat for 5 minutes.

Add whole jalapenos, tomato and green pepper and cook for 5 minutes further.

Add remaining ingredients, stir a few times, cover and lower heat to medium

low and leave for 30 minutes. Set temp to low and leave for 2-3 hours.

It's not really necessary to cook the remaining 2-3 hours but it really

adds a full flavour. Trevor Taylor.

Preston Crawford wrote:

I

think veggie chilis and soups sound like the best ways to go. I just need

to find a good cookbook with some inventive ideas that use normal, easy-to-find

ingredients. Or maybe even a half-dozen good recipes.Preston

eGroups Sponsor

contact owner: -owner

Mail list:

Delivered-mailing list