IndiaDivine.org

Need Recipe help!!

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Thanks for your thoughts, Jacqueline. Good to know it's not just me! I definately try to give him nutritious snacks to make up for the meals, and have been trying lots of healthy muffin recipes. He has some kind of muffin radar - he'll try any of them without hesitation, so that's my chance to sneak in good stuff! His weight is good and he seems to be very healthy so I guess that's the main thing.

:) Pat

Jacqueline <jacq Thursday, July 05, 2001 10:14 AMRe: Re: Need Recipe help!!

When my kids were that age I didn't worry about meals too much. I cooked the meal and they ate as much and what they wanted (there is no arguing/negotiating with kids at that age). If they didn't eat much at the meal I just made sure they had a nutritious snack later that they would eat. I didn't make a different meal though and tried to keep the dinner and snack quite separate. If all the foods you offer are nutritious it doesn't matter so much how much a child eats at one meal. Toddlers tend to be grazers anyway. Another thing I did was to put the plate on a kid size table after we were finished eating and sometimes she would come back and eat some more. I think some kids just find it hard to sit for an entire meal. I would let her get down play and then come back and finish. My son was completely different and would sit and eat everything offered to him. You can save the " sit at the table " manners for when they are a little older. Both of my children now sit politely through the whole meal and for the most part eat whatever I cook.

Jacqueline

-

The Andersons

Thursday, July 05, 2001 1:09 PM

Re: Re: Need Recipe help!!

I was very interested to see all the different opinions on this topic, and had quite a discussion with my husband last night about it. He was raised in a family where you ate everything that was put on your plate, even if it meant sitting at the table for hours. I find this very sad....I guess I was lucky enough to like most of the stuff my mom made us, but we were not forced to eat anything (even the veggies). We ate a lot of meat and potatoes, or stews with veggies, and I guess that was good enough in my mom's opinion. Needless to say, my husband and I sometimes have disagreements on feeding our 20 month old son. He doesn't think it's right to make anyone sit until they're done, but he's a lot more pushy about getting him to eat than me. I think that the more you push, the more stubborn they get. However, I don't think that the person cooking the meals should be catering to everyone at the meal. If you don't like what we're having; don't eat, simple. (As long as you provide a meal with several choices for them - side dishes or whatever).

Anyhow, what I really wanted to ask was if anyone has advice for picky eaters. I forget who it was that said that kids become picky eaters because we let them, but it definately made me think. I really don't want to make my son any pickier, but I'm also worried that he won't eat anything at all if I wait for him to eat the really good stuff (he is VERY stubborn). And since he's so young I really can't have a conversation with him asking him to at least TRY one bite of something to see if he'll like it. Most stuff he won't even put in his mouth. Breakfast time he has cereal, lunch is toast with PB or jam, and supper is the real challenge. He goes through spurts, now he likes cheese again, sometimes chicken fingers (which I'm not too happy about because of all the grease, but I think it's better than nothing), and he also likes the baby fruits in a jar - that's about it. My doctor has said several times not to worry, that's how kids this age are, and just let them eat whatever they want. So........., I would appreciate any advice from those who have had this problem. Thanks!! :)

Scheer Family <scheer Thursday, July 05, 2001 8:37 AM Re: Need Recipe help!!

I have a food allergic child (wheat, corn, tomatoes, peanuts, chocolate, tuna, vinegar) and am on several lists. One post I saw was a study that showed that children need to try a food as many as seven times before they " learn to like it. " Then sometimes they love that food.

In our house, you have to at least try everything put on your plate (we have different foods on plates because of food allergy).

I also cook once a week for our food allergic child and menu plan a week in advance so he gets a food comparable to what the rest of us are eating.

BTW, my mom was a revolutionary. She wrote a book on nutrition and vitamins in the '50's but couldn't get it published because all the mainstream publishers thought it was quackery back then!! She once told me a story about my sister who wouldn't eat avocados. My mom just gave her a little bit at each meal and by the end of the week, my sister loved them. That was how we were raised, and we are always ready to try new things.contact owner: -owner Mail list: Delivered-mailing list List-Un: - no flaming arguing or denigration of others allowedcontact owner with complaints regarding posting/list or anything else. Thank you.please share/comment/inform and mostly enjoy this list

Guest guest

BTW- I have a 3rd baby too but we aren't even close to solid food with him yet. :)

-

The Andersons

Thursday, July 05, 2001 2:12 PM

Thanks for your thoughts, Jacqueline. Good to know it's not just me! I definately try to give him nutritious snacks to make up for the meals, and have been trying lots of healthy muffin recipes. He has some kind of muffin radar - he'll try any of them without hesitation, so that's my chance to sneak in good stuff! His weight is good and he seems to be very healthy so I guess that's the main thing.

When my kids were that age I didn't worry about meals too much. I cooked the meal and they ate as much and what they wanted (there is no arguing/negotiating with kids at that age). If they didn't eat much at the meal I just made sure they had a nutritious snack later that they would eat. I didn't make a different meal though and tried to keep the dinner and snack quite separate. If all the foods you offer are nutritious it doesn't matter so much how much a child eats at one meal. Toddlers tend to be grazers anyway. Another thing I did was to put the plate on a kid size table after we were finished eating and sometimes she would come back and eat some more. I think some kids just find it hard to sit for an entire meal. I would let her get down play and then come back and finish. My son was completely different and would sit and eat everything offered to him. You can save the "sit at the table" manners for when they are a little older. Both of my children now sit politely through the whole meal and for the most part eat whatever I cook.

Jacqueline

-

The Andersons

I was very interested to see all the different opinions on this topic, and had quite a discussion with my husband last night about it. He was raised in a family where you ate everything that was put on your plate, even if it meant sitting at the table for hours. I find this very sad....I guess I was lucky enough to like most of the stuff my mom made us, but we were not forced to eat anything (even the veggies). We ate a lot of meat and potatoes, or stews with veggies, and I guess that was good enough in my mom's opinion. Needless to say, my husband and I sometimes have disagreements on feeding our 20 month old son. He doesn't think it's right to make anyone sit until they're done, but he's a lot more pushy about getting him to eat than me. I think that the more you push, the more stubborn they get. However, I don't think that the person cooking the meals should be catering to everyone at the meal. If you don't like what we're having; don't eat, simple. (As long as you provide a meal with several choices for them - side dishes or whatever).

Anyhow, what I really wanted to ask was if anyone has advice for picky eaters. I forget who it was that said that kids become picky eaters because we let them, but it definately made me think. I really don't want to make my son any pickier, but I'm also worried that he won't eat anything at all if I wait for him to eat the really good stuff (he is VERY stubborn). And since he's so young I really can't have a conversation with him asking him to at least TRY one bite of something to see if he'll like it. Most stuff he won't even put in his mouth. Breakfast time he has cereal, lunch is toast with PB or jam, and supper is the real challenge. He goes through spurts, now he likes cheese again, sometimes chicken fingers (which I'm not too happy about because of all the grease, but I think it's better than nothing), and he also likes the baby fruits in a jar - that's about it. My doctor has said several times not to worry, that's how kids this age are, and just let them eat whatever they want. So........., I would appreciate any advice from those who have had this problem. Thanks!! :)

I have a food allergic child (wheat, corn, tomatoes, peanuts, chocolate, tuna, vinegar) and am on several lists. One post I saw was a study that showed that children need to try a food as many as seven times before they "learn to like it." Then sometimes they love that food.

In our house, you have to at least try everything put on your plate (we have different foods on plates because of food allergy).

I also cook once a week for our food allergic child and menu plan a week in advance so he gets a food comparable to what the rest of us are eating.

BTW, my mom was a revolutionary. She wrote a book on nutrition and vitamins in the '50's but couldn't get it published because all the mainstream publishers thought it was quackery back then!! She once told me a story about my sister who wouldn't eat avocados. My mom just gave her a little bit at each meal and by the end of the week, my sister loved them. That was how we were raised, and we are always ready to try new things.contact owner: -owner Mail list: Delivered-mailing list List-Un: - no flaming arguing or denigration of others allowedcontact owner with complaints regarding posting/list or anything else. Thank you.please share/comment/inform and mostly enjoy this list

Guest guest

Does your son like tofu? Mine love it. We get really firm stuff. One way we eat it is to slice it 1/2 inch or less thick. Dip it in tamari or regular soy sauce and then dip it in nutritional yeast (red starr is the best I've tasted) that has some seasoning in it (we use Spike). Then pan fry it until each side is golden brown.

This is good with veggie gravy and can replace meat in a more traditional sort of menu. We often serve it with potatoes, carrots and turnip mashed together in relatively equal amounts. That is the only way I can stand turnip. Add some apple sauce on the side and/or some green tomato chow. Yum!!

Jacqueline

-

The Andersons

When my kids were that age I didn't worry about meals too much. I cooked the meal and they ate as much and what they wanted (there is no arguing/negotiating with kids at that age). If they didn't eat much at the meal I just made sure they had a nutritious snack later that they would eat. I didn't make a different meal though and tried to keep the dinner and snack quite separate. If all the foods you offer are nutritious it doesn't matter so much how much a child eats at one meal. Toddlers tend to be grazers anyway. Another thing I did was to put the plate on a kid size table after we were finished eating and sometimes she would come back and eat some more. I think some kids just find it hard to sit for an entire meal. I would let her get down play and then come back and finish. My son was completely different and would sit and eat everything offered to him. You can save the "sit at the table" manners for when they are a little older. Both of my children now sit politely through the whole meal and for the most part eat whatever I cook.

Jacqueline

-

The Andersons

I have a food allergic child (wheat, corn, tomatoes, peanuts, chocolate, tuna, vinegar) and am on several lists. One post I saw was a study that showed that children need to try a food as many as seven times before they "learn to like it." Then sometimes they love that food.

Guest guest

I too, grew up in a family where you ate everything on your plate. Drank every bit of milk until it was gone *barf*

I grew up in a famr comminuty, to hollar about eating meat was just not tolerated. Makes me feel good to go back home and say "no way" to the meat now, though.

As for picky eaters, not sure. Sorry, I don't have a lot of advice to give, I'm not a parent. Unless you count my dog and my turtle and they aren't too picky :)

-------------------------------~*Mary*~Co-Founder of "The Nuzzled Network"www.nuzzled.net

"Our day will come if we just wait awhile"-Ruby and the Romantics

"If you won't eat your cat, why eat a cow?" -me

-

The Andersons

Thursday, July 05, 2001 9:09 AM

Guest guest

My son is also very picky. I let him graze as much as possible. He has a section in the refrigerator just for him where I have all kinds of healthy things he can snack on.

But like I posted before, he is required to at least taste everything on his plate. If he doesn't eat much, he gets hungry, then goes in the refrig and snacks. That's the way he is.

I'd rather him know himself, than try to make him into something he isn't.

Guest guest

Great point - I agree! My only concern with my son is whether or not he is getting what he needs. I was so paranoid when I was pregnant because I wanted to give him the best start that I could, but I guess sooner or later it has to be up to him.

I'd rather him know himself, than try to make him into something he isn't.

Guest guest

The times I've used tofu he just refused to even try it - usually I use it in some sort of casserole type dish because I personally don't care for the taste of it, however I haven't tried it a whole lot.

Those sound really good though, and since my son likes chicken fingers and other finger type stuff, he might actually give them a try. Thanks a lot! I'll make my husband get the yeast since he knows which one you're talking about (used to work in a natural foods co-op). I'm obviously not too familiar with vegetarian/healthy type stuff. :) But I am trying to change.....

Jacqueline <jacq Thursday, July 05, 2001 11:42 AMRe: Re: Need Recipe help!!

Does your son like tofu? Mine love it. We get really firm stuff. One way we eat it is to slice it 1/2 inch or less thick. Dip it in tamari or regular soy sauce and then dip it in nutritional yeast (red starr is the best I've tasted) that has some seasoning in it (we use Spike). Then pan fry it until each side is golden brown.

This is good with veggie gravy and can replace meat in a more traditional sort of menu. We often serve it with potatoes, carrots and turnip mashed together in relatively equal amounts. That is the only way I can stand turnip. Add some apple sauce on the side and/or some green tomato chow. Yum!!

Jacqueline

-

The Andersons

When my kids were that age I didn't worry about meals too much. I cooked the meal and they ate as much and what they wanted (there is no arguing/negotiating with kids at that age). If they didn't eat much at the meal I just made sure they had a nutritious snack later that they would eat. I didn't make a different meal though and tried to keep the dinner and snack quite separate. If all the foods you offer are nutritious it doesn't matter so much how much a child eats at one meal. Toddlers tend to be grazers anyway. Another thing I did was to put the plate on a kid size table after we were finished eating and sometimes she would come back and eat some more. I think some kids just find it hard to sit for an entire meal. I would let her get down play and then come back and finish. My son was completely different and would sit and eat everything offered to him. You can save the " sit at the table " manners for when they are a little older. Both of my children now sit politely through the whole meal and for the most part eat whatever I cook.

Jacqueline

-

The Andersons

I have a food allergic child (wheat, corn, tomatoes, peanuts, chocolate, tuna, vinegar) and am on several lists. One post I saw was a study that showed that children need to try a food as many as seven times before they " learn to like it. " Then sometimes they love that food.

Guest guest

One thing I do watch is that his snacks are healthy and that he is eating a wide variety of things. I have to home-make everything he eats anyway (he's allergic to corn products, among other things, and virtually everything that is processed has some corn in it), so I am able to keep track by what's missing.

-

The Andersons

Thursday, July 05, 2001 6:57 PM

Great point - I agree! My only concern with my son is whether or not he is getting what he needs. I was so paranoid when I was pregnant because I wanted to give him the best start that I could, but I guess sooner or later it has to be up to him.

I'd rather him know himself, than try to make him into something he isn't.contact owner: -owner Mail list: Delivered-mailing list List-Un: - no flaming arguing or denigration of others allowedcontact owner with complaints regarding posting/list or anything else. Thank you.please share/comment/inform and mostly enjoy this list

Guest guest

...I'm just not too sure about the whole soy issue...with all that has been said out there...I don't want to go poisoning us either...so I'm a bit hesitant to go too far with tofu or TVP...but that's another issue altogether... Didn't mean to stir up so much controversy!! LOL Caroline Caroline, I have been a lurker to this list for a few months now. I am a reletively new vegetarian. And the whole soy issue is new to me...If no one minds, could someone enlightne me about what you mean by "poisoning" by eatting tofu? I have no idea about this. Thanks in advance kimberly who loves her soy milk and feeds her baby soy formula....and very concerned nowGet more from the Web. FREE MSN Explorer download : http://explorer.msn.com

Guest guest

>

> Caroline,

> I have been a lurker to this list for a few months now. I am a

reletively new vegetarian. And the whole soy issue is new to me...If

no one minds, could someone enlightne me about what you mean

by " poisoning " by eatting tofu? I have no idea about this.

> Thanks in advance

> kimberly

> who loves her soy milk and feeds her baby soy formula....and very

concerned

There is a lot of controversy about Soy, but in my personal opinion,

it's a bunch of hooey. ;-) For starters, completely stay away from

the soyonlineservice website... From what I understand, the woman who

designed it used to work for the Dairy industry...

The benefits of Soy far out weigh any negative effects it might have.

Soy, when part of a healthy diet, is perfectly healthy, IMO. There

are two major accusations that I've heard about soy, 1) Being that it

inhibits the absorption of some minerals and 2) that it may cause

thyroid problems. There's a couple of others, but you can find so

much contradicting information about it, it's not even funny. Some

people claim that Soy decreases Brain activity in the elderly, and

some say it increases it. It's all a matter of what you want to

believe.

It's far better, in my opinion, to risk the small chance that Soy

MIGHT ~POSSIBLY~ have some negative effects, than imbide products

that I ~KNOW~ have negative effects (I.e. Cow's Milk).

The bottom line though, in my opinion, is that the Dairy Industry

(and the Meat Industry), have a lot at stake at making Soy less

attractive and therefore making more people dependant upon their

products, than anyone else, so I'd take anything negative about it

with a grain of salt. The Japanese have been eating Soy for

centuries, and until the Americans brought their Beef & Dairy, they

were far healthier than the average american.

Hopefully this helps.

Love & Light,

Stephanie

Guest guest

Hi,

I'm pretty new to veg. also and I had a lot of questions after

reading all the negative things about unfermented soy products also.

But I still haven't found anything conclusive.

The soy producers are all for it, and alot of others(some Drs. and

Nutritionist) are against it. I don't really know what to believe

either. And every message board or group I ask can not give me any

current studies to help me with this.

There was a very good article in the 20/20 website about the dangers

of soy, and they are pretty good about getting their facts.

I really like TVP and other soy products and hope these negative

things are not true.

, Delairen@m... wrote:

> >

> > Caroline,

> > I have been a lurker to this list for a few months now. I am a

> reletively new vegetarian. And the whole soy issue is new to

me...If

> no one minds, could someone enlightne me about what you mean

> by " poisoning " by eatting tofu? I have no idea about this.

> > Thanks in advance

> > kimberly

> > who loves her soy milk and feeds her baby soy formula....and very

> concerned

>

>

Guest guest

could you send me the link to the article on soy?

cowgirlno_1 [cowgirlno_1]

Tuesday, July 10, 2001 6:47 AM

Re: Need Recipe help!!

Hi,

I'm pretty new to veg. also and I had a lot of questions after

reading all the negative things about unfermented soy products also.

But I still haven't found anything conclusive.

The soy producers are all for it, and alot of others(some Drs. and

Nutritionist) are against it. I don't really know what to believe

either. And every message board or group I ask can not give me any

current studies to help me with this.

There was a very good article in the 20/20 website about the dangers

of soy, and they are pretty good about getting their facts.

I really like TVP and other soy products and hope these negative

things are not true.

, Delairen@m... wrote:

> >

> > Caroline,

> > I have been a lurker to this list for a few months now. I am a

> reletively new vegetarian. And the whole soy issue is new to

me...If

> no one minds, could someone enlightne me about what you mean

> by " poisoning " by eatting tofu? I have no idea about this.

> > Thanks in advance

> > kimberly

> > who loves her soy milk and feeds her baby soy formula....and very

> concerned

>

>

contact owner: -owner

Mail list:

Delivered-mailing list

List-Un: -

no flaming arguing or denigration of others allowed

contact owner with complaints regarding posting/list