IndiaDivine.org

Here are Thanksgiving Solutions?

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Jeffrey,

You're lucky, you have it easy. You only have to cook for 2 and you are in charge of the deal. I hate it when I have to go to a big family Thanksgiving and there is nothing there for me! :> Here are a couple of suggestions (sorry, everyone, these aren't "quick", but what are you to do on Thanksgiving?!):

Salisbury Tempeh:

2 c. onion soup broth (be careful! read ingredients)

1 tbsp. pepper

1 tsp. basil

1/2 tsp. thyme

1/2 tsp. oregano

1/4 tsp. salt

1/4 tsp. garlic

2 tbsp. margarine

1 tbsp. tahini

pinch of sugar

1/2 tsp. worcestershire sauce

1/2 c. water

2 tbsp. flour

8 oz. tempeh

1/2 c. water

2 tbsp. soy sauce

1 c. sliced mushrooms

Gravy: Set asode tje 1/2 c. water and 2 tbsp. flour (mixed together well.) In a sauce pan, heat on medium-high all other gravy ingredients. When it starts to boil, add (slowly stirring) the flour mixture.

Tempeh: Cut tempeh down the middle, then into 4 squares, then into triangles. Put 1/2 c. water and 2 tbsp. soy sauce in medium sized frying pan. On medium-high heat, fry tempeh for 8 minutes on each side. If the water evaporates before you turn the tempeh over, add 1/4 c. more (do not add more soy sauce) at a time. It is fine if the water is gone at the end of the 16 minutes. Add the mushrooms to the pan 3 to 5 minutes before the last 8 minutes is up. Mix them around a little bit. :>

Serve mushrooms over tempeh and drizzle with gravy.

Mushroom and Cashew Stuffing:

8 c. dried bread cubes

1/4 c. butter

1 large red onion, chopped

1 large red pepper, chopped

1/2 lb. mushrooms, sliced

3 celery stalks, chopped

1 1/2 c. unsalted cashew pieces

1 tsp. dried thyme

1 tsp. dried rosemary

1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg

3/4 c. vegetable broth

2 eggs, beaten

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Place bread cubes on large, shallow baking pan and bake until golden, stirring occasionally, about 20 minutes. Transfer to large mixing bowl. Turn oven down to 350 degrees.

Melt butter in a large, heavy, skillet. Add onion and cook until clear, stirring occasionally, about 10 minutes. Add red pepper, mushrooms, and celery; cook until tender, about 5 to 7 minutes. Combine with bread in a mixing bowl. Add nuts, seasonings, broth, and beaten eggs. Stir well and pour into an 8 by 8 inch greased baking pan or one if similar size. Bake, covered, for about 1 hour.

Green Bean Casserole:

1 can mushroom soup

1 tsp. pepper

2 cans green beans

1 can french fried onions

In a casserole dish, combine soup and pepper. Mix well. Add beans and sprinkle thoroughly with french fried onions. Bake at 350 for 30 minutes.

Pumpkin Spice Cake:

3 1/2 c. flour

1 tbsp. pumpkin pie spice

2 tsp. baking powder

1 tsp. baking soda

1/2 tsp. salt

1 3/4 c. sugar

1 c. margarine

8 eggs

16 oz. pumpkin

1/4 c. milk

2 tsp. vanilla

In a medium bowl, mix flour, pumpkin pie spice, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside. In a large bowl, beat sugar and margarine until blended and creamy. Add 2 eggs at a time to mixture, beating well after each addition. Mix pumpkin, milk, and vanilla. Alternately add flour mixture and pumpkin mixture, beginning and ending with flour mixture, beating until batter is smooth. Bake 55-60 minutes in greased bundt pan at 350 degrees. Cool 15 minutes. Remove from pan and finish cooling. Top with brown butter glaze (to follow).

Brown Butter Glaze:

6 tbsp. margarine

1/2 c. packed brown sugar

2 tbsp. milk

1 tsp. vanilla

1 c. confectioners' sugar

In a 2 quart saucepan, heat margarine until melted and golden brown, sitrring occasionally. Add brown sugar and milk and whisk until sugar dissolved. Remove from heat, whisk in vanilla. Gradually whisk in confectioners' sugar until smooth. Cool until slightly thickened.

Brief bit of info. Were vegetarians for about 6 month, Die hard for thelast month.Thanksgiving is coming up, no guest, 2 people, WHAT do I fix....? StandardThanksgiving fare is out so what am I to do.SUGGESTIONS WELCOMED!Jeffrey (from Heart of the Wheat belt, bible belt, and cattle belt.)

oh ewww... i just checked and it does have that. i had never heard that before, and ive been a veggie for 7 years!! does anyone know if there are alternatives?? every time i realize ive eaten something with meat in it i feel sick to my stomach, but its 10x worse when its something gross like anchovies... thanks jo, i think!

jocelyn

-

JoProut

Wednesday, October 10, 2001 2:10 PM

Re: Here are Thanksgiving Solutions?

Those sound nice, just a reminder to check the label of the Worcestershire sauce for anchovies, if you don't eat them.Jocontact owner: -owner Mail list: Delivered-mailing list List-Un: - no flaming arguing or denigration of others allowedcontact owner with complaints regarding posting/list or anything else. Thank you.please share/comment/inform and mostly enjoy this list

There are veggie Worcestershire sauces in the health food store or Whole

Foods/Fresh Fields.

Crystal D.

At 02:03 PM 10/10/01 -0700, you wrote:

>oh ewww... i just checked and it does have that. i had never heard that

>before, and ive been a veggie for 7 years!! does anyone know if there are

>alternatives?? every time i realize ive eaten something with meat in it i

>feel sick to my stomach, but its 10x worse when its something gross like

>anchovies... thanks jo, i think!

>

>j