IndiaDivine.org

A substitute for meat

Rate this topic

Guest guest

"Candace Selph" <candaceRe: Hellooooo!I am not a vegetarian at this time. I am not going to make excuses or givereasons for why I'm not a vegetarian (was a long time ago)... Just going toask for some tips and advice about becoming one while living with a familyfull of carniverous.I do try to eat vegetarian as much as possible. I even managed to get myhusband to eat at Zen Palate the other day.My husband told me that if I could cook dishes that taste that way he wouldeat more vegetarian dishes... <sigh>I'm a good cook, but I have no idea how to make pecans taste like "chicken"in sweet and sour delights.So - anyone have any tips on:making dishes that are vegetarian but will fool a meat eater.what substitutions will work in the recipes I already have so my family canhave their comfort foods?how to gradually wean people off of meat?Thank you,Candace

Hi Candace!

One good way of persuading meat-eaters to eat vegetarian is to substitute Quorn for the meat. Not sure if Quorn is available world-wide, but here in the UK you can buy it in supermarkets. It's basically a mico-protein made from, I think, mushrooms and it looks like chicken. It's available as pieces and fillets and also in a "chunk" so you can roast it, as well as ready-made meals. When cooked, it has a sort of chicken-y taste, and my 13-year-old son loves it!

It's useful because it can be cooked so many ways, even on a BBQ, and it's great when you're cooking for a household of meat-eaters and vegetarians as both can eat the same things, except for meat/Quorn.

Hope that's of some help?

Best wishes

Maz

great! thank you!

I'll definitely look into it!

Candace

-

Laura Schauble

Friday, November 30, 2001 3:33 PM

Re: A substitute for meat

I'm a good cook, but I have no idea how to make pecans taste like "chicken"in sweet and sour delights

Since you are in my area (I'm in Morris Cty NJ) you should be able to find VEAT. It is really good. They have something that looks like 1/2 a chicken, some nuggets and some chunks. I had a veggie cook-out in July and made shiskabobs. Everyone loved them and couldn't believe they weren't real chicken. There is even a recipe on the back for sweet & sour chicken that my husband made that was great. You can even go to their website - veat.com I think.

Lauracontact owner: -owner Mail list: Delivered-mailing list List-Un: - no flaming arguing or denigration of others allowedcontact owner with complaints regarding posting/list or anything else. Thank you.please share/comment/inform and mostly enjoy this list

I've heard of it - but to my knowledge it is limited to the U.K. at this time. You guys have lots of cool stuff like that (:

thanks for the information!!

Candace

-

Jackiepotato

Quick Vegetarian

Friday, November 30, 2001 3:09 PM

A substitute for meat

"Candace Selph" <candaceRe: Hellooooo!I am not a vegetarian at this time. I am not going to make excuses or givereasons for why I'm not a vegetarian (was a long time ago)... Just going toask for some tips and advice about becoming one while living with a familyfull of carniverous.I do try to eat vegetarian as much as possible. I even managed to get myhusband to eat at Zen Palate the other day.My husband told me that if I could cook dishes that taste that way he wouldeat more vegetarian dishes... <sigh>I'm a good cook, but I have no idea how to make pecans taste like "chicken"in sweet and sour delights.So - anyone have any tips on:making dishes that are vegetarian but will fool a meat eater.what substitutions will work in the recipes I already have so my family canhave their comfort foods?how to gradually wean people off of meat?Thank you,Candace

Hi Candace!

One good way of persuading meat-eaters to eat vegetarian is to substitute Quorn for the meat. Not sure if Quorn is available world-wide, but here in the UK you can buy it in supermarkets. It's basically a mico-protein made from, I think, mushrooms and it looks like chicken. It's available as pieces and fillets and also in a "chunk" so you can roast it, as well as ready-made meals. When cooked, it has a sort of chicken-y taste, and my 13-year-old son loves it!

It's useful because it can be cooked so many ways, even on a BBQ, and it's great when you're cooking for a household of meat-eaters and vegetarians as both can eat the same things, except for meat/Quorn.

Best wishes

Maz

contact owner: -owner Mail list: Delivered-mailing list List-Un: - no flaming arguing or denigration of others allowedcontact owner with complaints regarding posting/list or anything else. Thank you.please share/comment/inform and mostly enjoy this list

I'm a good cook, but I have no idea how to make pecans taste like "chicken"in sweet and sour delights

Since you are in my area (I'm in Morris Cty NJ) you should be able to find VEAT. It is really good. They have something that looks like 1/2 a chicken, some nuggets and some chunks. I had a veggie cook-out in July and made shiskabobs. Everyone loved them and couldn't believe they weren't real chicken. There is even a recipe on the back for sweet & sour chicken that my husband made that was great. You can even go to their website - veat.com I think.

Laura

Hi Candace

Another 'meat' substitute is Tempeh. It's fermented soy beans ( I think!) and is available fresh/frozen in small blocks. I came across it while living in Bermuda, and a lot of the food there came from N America, so if that's where you're based you should be able to find it. I used to use it in stir fries - cut into small cubes, fry in a little sesame oil, splash in a bit of soy sauce then take out the pan while you fry up the rest of your veggies and add back in at the end. Comes out similar to chicken, and has a better texture than tofu I think, which can be a bit slimey!

Hope this helps...

Liz

Candace Selph [candace]Friday, November 30, 2001 10:28 Subject: Re: A substitute for meat

I've heard of it - but to my knowledge it is limited to the U.K. at this time. You guys have lots of cool stuff like that (:

Candace

-

Jackiepotato

Quick Vegetarian

A substitute for meat

Hi Candace!

Best wishes

Maz

contact owner: -owner Mail list: Delivered-mailing list List-Un: - no flaming arguing or denigration of others allowedcontact owner with complaints regarding posting/list or anything else. Thank you.please share/comment/inform and mostly enjoy this list

that sounds good - I just moved to NJ from Texas - so I'll have to find some local health food stores/ whole food market in this area and see if I can find this kind of stuff.

I do appreciate everyone's help!

Candace

-

Liz Harding

Friday, November 30, 2001 3:43 PM

RE: A substitute for meat

Hi Candace

Another 'meat' substitute is Tempeh. It's fermented soy beans ( I think!) and is available fresh/frozen in small blocks. I came across it while living in Bermuda, and a lot of the food there came from N America, so if that's where you're based you should be able to find it. I used to use it in stir fries - cut into small cubes, fry in a little sesame oil, splash in a bit of soy sauce then take out the pan while you fry up the rest of your veggies and add back in at the end. Comes out similar to chicken, and has a better texture than tofu I think, which can be a bit slimey!

Hope this helps...

Liz

Candace Selph [candace]Friday, November 30, 2001 10:28 Subject: Re: A substitute for meat

Candace

-

Jackiepotato

Quick Vegetarian

A substitute for meat

Hi Candace!

Best wishes

Maz

I just looked at it at Amazon. Does it have dairy in it? I love cheese.

Megan Milligan wrote:

get

"the meat lover's vegetarian cookbook" by stephen ferry and tanya petrovna.

good cookbook. :-) megan

-

Jackiepotato

Quick

Vegetarian

Friday, November 30, 2001 12:09

PM

A substitute

for meat

"Candace Selph" <candace

Re: Hellooooo!

I am not a vegetarian at this time.

I am not going to make excuses or give

reasons for why I'm not a vegetarian (was

a long time ago)... Just going to

ask for some tips and advice about becoming

one while living with a family

full of carniverous.

I do try to eat vegetarian as much as possible.

I even managed to get my

husband to eat at Zen Palate the other day.

My husband told me that if I could cook dishes

that taste that way he would

eat more vegetarian dishes... <sigh>

I'm a good cook, but I have no idea how to

make pecans taste like "chicken"

in sweet and sour delights.

So - anyone have any tips on:

making dishes that are vegetarian but will

fool a meat eater.

what substitutions will work in the recipes

I already have so my family can

have their comfort foods?

how to gradually wean people off of meat?

Thank you,

Candace************************************************Hi

Candace! One good way of persuading meat-eaters

to eat vegetarian is to substitute Quorn for the meat. Not sure if

Quorn is available world-wide, but here in the UK you can buy it in supermarkets.

It's basically a mico-protein made from, I think, mushrooms and it looks

like chicken. It's available as pieces and fillets and also in a

"chunk" so you can roast it, as well as ready-made meals. When cooked,

it has a sort of chicken-y taste, and my 13-year-old son loves it!

It's useful because it can be cooked so many

ways, even on a BBQ, and it's great when you're cooking for a household

of meat-eaters and vegetarians as both can eat the same things, except

for meat/Quorn. Hope that's of some help?

Best wishesMaz

contact owner: -owner

Mail list:

Delivered-mailing list

List-Un: -

no flaming arguing or denigration of others allowed

contact owner with complaints regarding posting/list

or anything else. Thank you.

please share/comment/inform and mostly enjoy this list

Thank you Megan! I've eaten so much macaroni & cheese in my life that

I've gotten burned out on it. I do have a couple of "gourmet" recipes I'm

going to try. I've tried a couple of the veggie dogs & didn't

like them.

Megan Milligan wrote:

yeah, some

of the recipes do, and they even include options for adding soy cheese

to those recipes. I even found something of a thanksgiving layout

in it using seitan (a meat substitute) fillets. :-)

One thing I like to do is cook up regular

macaroni cheese & slice some soy/veggie dogs in them after I nuked

them for about 20 seconds in the microwave to cook them. Especially

when they're mixed in with the mac, you really can't tell the difference

from regular hotdogs. I like using Lightlife brand SmartDogs.

They taste good and have 0 fat too. *grin* Megan

-

dognut

Saturday, December 01, 2001

4:44 AM

Re: A

substitute for meat

I just looked at it at Amazon. Does it have dairy in it? I love cheese.

Megan Milligan wrote:

get

"the meat lover's vegetarian cookbook" by stephen ferry and tanya petrovna.

good cookbook. :-) megan

-

Jackiepotato

Quick

Vegetarian

Friday, November 30, 2001 12:09

PM

A substitute

for meat

"Candace Selph" <candace

Re: Hellooooo!

I am not a vegetarian at this time.

I am not going to make excuses or give

reasons for why I'm not a vegetarian (was

a long time ago)... Just going to

ask for some tips and advice about becoming

one while living with a family

full of carniverous.

I do try to eat vegetarian as much as possible.

I even managed to get my

husband to eat at Zen Palate the other day.

My husband told me that if I could cook dishes

that taste that way he would

eat more vegetarian dishes... <sigh>

I'm a good cook, but I have no idea how to

make pecans taste like "chicken"

in sweet and sour delights.

So - anyone have any tips on:

making dishes that are vegetarian but will

fool a meat eater.

what substitutions will work in the recipes

I already have so my family can

have their comfort foods?

how to gradually wean people off of meat?

Thank you,

Candace************************************************Hi

Candace! One good way of persuading meat-eaters

to eat vegetarian is to substitute Quorn for the meat. Not sure if

Quorn is available world-wide, but here in the UK you can buy it in supermarkets.

It's basically a mico-protein made from, I think, mushrooms and it looks

like chicken. It's available as pieces and fillets and also in a

"chunk" so you can roast it, as well as ready-made meals. When cooked,

it has a sort of chicken-y taste, and my 13-year-old son loves it!It's

useful because it can be cooked so many ways, even on a BBQ, and it's great

when you're cooking for a household of meat-eaters and vegetarians as both

can eat the same things, except for meat/Quorn. Hope

that's of some help?Best wishesMaz

Mail list:

Delivered-mailing list

I'd have to have a vat of it! :o)

Megan Milligan wrote:

heh,.

drown 'em with cheese & vegetarian chili and you'll never tell the

difference. *Ggg* Megan

-

dognut

Saturday, December 01, 2001

5:06 AM

Re: A

substitute for meat

I've tried a couple of the veggie dogs & didn't like them.

Mail list:

Delivered-mailing list

get "the meat lover's vegetarian cookbook" by stephen ferry and tanya petrovna. good cookbook. :-)

megan

-

Jackiepotato

Quick Vegetarian

Friday, November 30, 2001 12:09 PM

A substitute for meat

Hi Candace!

Best wishes

Maz

yeah, some of the recipes do, and they even include options for adding soy cheese to those recipes. I even found something of a thanksgiving layout in it using seitan (a meat substitute) fillets. :-)

One thing I like to do is cook up regular macaroni cheese & slice some soy/veggie dogs in them after I nuked them for about 20 seconds in the microwave to cook them. Especially when they're mixed in with the mac, you really can't tell the difference from regular hotdogs. I like using Lightlife brand SmartDogs. They taste good and have 0 fat too. *grin*

Megan

-

dognut

Saturday, December 01, 2001 4:44 AM

I just looked at it at Amazon. Does it have dairy in it? I love cheese. Megan Milligan wrote:

get "the meat lover's vegetarian cookbook" by stephen ferry and tanya petrovna. good cookbook. :-) megan

-

Jackiepotato

Quick Vegetarian

Friday, November 30, 2001 12:09 PM

A substitute for meat "Candace Selph" <candace Re: Hellooooo! I am not a vegetarian at this time. I am not going to make excuses or give reasons for why I'm not a vegetarian (was a long time ago)... Just going to ask for some tips and advice about becoming one while living with a family full of carniverous. I do try to eat vegetarian as much as possible. I even managed to get my husband to eat at Zen Palate the other day. My husband told me that if I could cook dishes that taste that way he would eat more vegetarian dishes... <sigh> I'm a good cook, but I have no idea how to make pecans taste like "chicken" in sweet and sour delights. So - anyone have any tips on: making dishes that are vegetarian but will fool a meat eater. what substitutions will work in the recipes I already have so my family can have their comfort foods? how to gradually wean people off of meat? Thank you, Candace************************************************Hi Candace! One good way of persuading meat-eaters to eat vegetarian is to substitute Quorn for the meat. Not sure if Quorn is available world-wide, but here in the UK you can buy it in supermarkets. It's basically a mico-protein made from, I think, mushrooms and it looks like chicken. It's available as pieces and fillets and also in a "chunk" so you can roast it, as well as ready-made meals. When cooked, it has a sort of chicken-y taste, and my 13-year-old son loves it! It's useful because it can be cooked so many ways, even on a BBQ, and it's great when you're cooking for a household of meat-eaters and vegetarians as both can eat the same things, except for meat/Quorn. Hope that's of some help? Best wishesMaz contact owner: -owner Mail list: Delivered-mailing list List-Un: - no flaming arguing or denigration of others allowed contact owner with complaints regarding posting/list or anything else. Thank you. please share/comment/inform and mostly enjoy this list

heh,. drown 'em with cheese & vegetarian chili and you'll never tell the difference. *Ggg*

Megan

-

dognut

Saturday, December 01, 2001 5:06 AM

I've tried a couple of the veggie dogs & didn't like them.

Carol we should all be open to new info. If we can't deal with it then

we're narrow minded children. I have studied nutrition for both my dogs

& me for years. I know cheese is unhealthy but might debate the info.

that it's worse than meat. But even though my brain knows it's all bad,

my body still craves cheese. Going veggie, for me, is hard enough. To take

cheese out of my efforts to be a veggie would be a veggie diet killer.

If you can give it up, I give you points!

caroltreehugger wrote:

I looked for the Meat Lovers Cookbook at the

library today, and they

didn't have it. I wanted to see what it was like before I ordered

it.

I am trying to avoid cheese as from studies, it looks like it is

unhealthier to eat than meat. And since I live in dairy country,

I see

the dairy cows in small areas, standing up to their belly's in

muck.

They are now milked 3 times a day, and don't live more than 5 years,

as

a result.

No offense intended to anyone, and I don't say anything to start

another

debate. :-) Hugs, Carol

Mail list:

Delivered-mailing list

I looked for the Meat Lovers Cookbook at the library today, and they

didn't have it. I wanted to see what it was like before I ordered it.

I am trying to avoid cheese as from studies, it looks like it is

unhealthier to eat than meat. And since I live in dairy country, I see

the dairy cows in small areas, standing up to their belly's in muck.

They are now milked 3 times a day, and don't live more than 5 years, as

a result.

No offense intended to anyone, and I don't say anything to start another

debate. :-) Hugs, Carol

the growth horome they give milk cows must be really

painful.im a 40d and that feels too big for me lol.but

they do not have a higher being about them so let em'

be in pain with 25 lb teets.ugh

--- caroltreehugger wrote:

> I looked for the Meat Lovers Cookbook at the library

> today, and they

> didn't have it. I wanted to see what it was like