IndiaDivine.org

Salisbury Tempeh Was: FAKE MEAT: what's your favourite?

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Here you go again, this is what I have to replace turkey on Thanksgiving. I actually think I might have posted this a couple of weeks ago. Sorry if I did!

Salisbury Tempeh

2 c. onion soup broth ( be careful, many have meat-somethings! :))

1 tbsp. pepper

1 tsp. basil

1/2 tsp. thyme

1/2 tsp. oregano

1/4 tsp. salt

1/4 tsp. garlic

2 tbsp. margarine

1 tbsp. tahini

pinch of sugar

1/2 tsp. worcestershire sauce (again, be careful!)

1/2 c. water

2 tbsp. flour

8 oz. tempeh

1/2 c. water

2 tbsp. soy sauce

1 c. sliced mushrooms

Gravy: Set aside the 1/2 c. water and 2 tbsp. flour (mixed together well). In a sauce pan, heat on medium high all other gravy ingredients. When it starts to boil, add (slowly stirring) the flour mixture.

Tempeh: Cut tempeh down the middle, then into 4 squares, then into triangles. Put 1/2 c. water and 2 tbsp. soy sauce in medium sized frying pan. On medium high heat, fry tempeh for 8 minutes on each side. If the water evaporates before you turn the tempeh over, add 1/4 c. more (do not add more soy sauce) at a time. It is fine if the water is all gone at the end of the 16 minutes. Add the mushrooms to the pan 3 to 5 minutes before hte last 8 minutes is up. Mix them around.

Put tempeh on a plate and put some mushrooms on top. Drizzle with gravy.

I would love those recipes, they sound very good!

Candace

-

Jocelyn Roach

Friday, November 30, 2001 8:23 PM

Re: FAKE MEAT: what's your favourite?

Fake burgers? Garden burgersFake chicken patties/nuggets? Morningstar FarmsFake bologna? yucko!Fake ground beef (TVP)? Have not worked with TVP, I like Yves, with taco seasoning in mex food!Fake sausage? yucko again!

Anyone cook with tempeh? What's it best in? What should one NOT use itin? This is why I really answered the post. :) I like tempeh a lot. I have a recipe for "Salisbury Tempeh" from Vegetarian Times that I could post if anyone wants it, that's kind of steak-y, I also have a recipe that calls for it in "Enchilada Casserole", which is absolutely yummy. :) Tempeh tastes kind of nutty to me.

Jocelyncontact owner: -owner Mail list: Delivered-mailing list List-Un: - no flaming arguing or denigration of others allowedcontact owner with complaints regarding posting/list or anything else. Thank you.please share/comment/inform and mostly enjoy this list