IndiaDivine.org

Pie crust tips for Gayle

Rate this topic

Guest guest

> I can not make pie crust, it comes out tough and hard every time.

> No matter what I do I seem to overwork the dough.

Gayle, my best method/tips for you if you want to try again at pie crust:

Take your very cold stick of butter and chop it up in tiny pieces,

*before* you add it to the dry ingredients. After you've dumped it

into the dry ingredients, do a good " mushing " with your pastry cutter

(or two knives, or use your food processor in very short pulses) to

mix them thoroughly so it looks like crumbs... then, push the crumb

mixture to the sides, to make a well in the middle. Now: go wash your

hands so the next step doesn't leave you pasty/glue-y, then grab a

couple of ice cubes and hold them for a minute (over the sink is good

:-). When your fingers are good and cold, dry them off. Quickly pour

your recipe's cold liquid (it usually isn't much) into the well you

made earlier, and dig in with your fingers, rubbing the crumbs between

your fingers - do this quickly, while your hands are chilly still, and

remember speed is more important than finesse. :-) As soon as it

starts to come together, that's your cue to stop... gather it up and

start rolling it, gently. Chill after rolling and setting it in your

pan - it's much easier than chilling before!

Good luck!!

*pastryhugs*

Amy

Amy -

Had to jump in and say thanks. Crusts are on my next item to tackle. I used to make l*rd crusts, but that is now out of the realm of our lifes. Troy's mom and stepdad are coming into town and I'm making apple pie today. Can't wait to try the pie.

JennAmy <sandpiperhiker wrote:

> I can not make pie crust, it comes out tough and hard every time. > No matter what I do I seem to overwork the dough. Gayle, my best method/tips for you if you want to try again at pie crust: Take your very cold stick of butter and chop it up in tiny pieces,*before* you add it to the dry ingredients. After you've dumped itinto the dry ingredients, do a good "mushing" with your pastry cutter(or two knives, or use your food processor in very short pulses) tomix them thoroughly so it looks like crumbs... then, push the crumbmixture to the sides, to make a well in the middle. Now: go wash yourhands so the next step doesn't leave you pasty/glue-y, then grab acouple of ice cubes and hold them for a minute (over the sink is good:-). When your fingers are good and cold, dry them off. Quickly pouryour recipe's cold liquid (it

usually isn't much) into the well youmade earlier, and dig in with your fingers, rubbing the crumbs betweenyour fingers - do this quickly, while your hands are chilly still, andremember speed is more important than finesse. :-) As soon as itstarts to come together, that's your cue to stop... gather it up andstart rolling it, gently. Chill after rolling and setting it in yourpan - it's much easier than chilling before!Good luck!!*pastryhugs*Amy

ahh so the in-laws are guinea pigs huh?

LOL just kiddin'

Ok you are gonna think this is whacky but ya know what goes great with apple pie? ....... cheese.

I even melt some and put it in with my sautéed apples.

My grandmom uncle and me would always eat a piece of cheese with our apple pie. She started it and it was really yummy so we always did it. :o)

Blessings,

Chanda

-

Jennifer

Saturday, September 10, 2005 8:40 AM

Re: Pie crust tips for Gayle

Amy -

Had to jump in and say thanks. Crusts are on my next item to tackle. I used to make l*rd crusts, but that is now out of the realm of our lifes. Troy's mom and stepdad are coming into town and I'm making apple pie today. Can't wait to try the pie.

JennAmy <sandpiperhiker wrote:

> I can not make pie crust, it comes out tough and hard every time. > No matter what I do I seem to overwork the dough. Gayle, my best method/tips for you if you want to try again at pie crust: Take your very cold stick of butter and chop it up in tiny pieces,*before* you add it to the dry ingredients. After you've dumped itinto the dry ingredients, do a good "mushing" with your pastry cutter(or two knives, or use your food processor in very short pulses) tomix them thoroughly so it looks like crumbs... then, push the crumbmixture to the sides, to make a well in the middle. Now: go wash yourhands so the next step doesn't leave you pasty/glue-y, then grab acouple of ice cubes and hold them for a minute (over the sink is good:-). When your fingers are good and cold, dry them off. Quickly pouryour recipe's cold liquid (it usually isn't much) into the well youmade earlier, and dig in with your fingers, rubbing the crumbs betweenyour fingers - do this quickly, while your hands are chilly still, andremember speed is more important than finesse. :-) As soon as itstarts to come together, that's your cue to stop... gather it up andstart rolling it, gently. Chill after rolling and setting it in yourpan - it's much easier than chilling before!Good luck!!*pastryhugs*Amy

> Had to jump in and say thanks. Crusts are on my next item to tackle.

> I used to make l*rd crusts, but that is now out of the realm of our

> lifes. Troy's mom and stepdad are coming into town and I'm making

> apple pie today. Can't wait to try the pie.

You're welcome, Jenn!! Good luck with your apple pie, and let us know

how it went! :-)

*appleyhugs*

Amy

wow I never thought about it in a sandwich, what a great idea.

I am thinking of a wrap :o)

Blessings,

Chanda

-

glpveg4life

Saturday, September 10, 2005 2:08 PM

Re: Pie crust tips for Gayle

Hi Chanda:

I love to eat cheese and apples.. I slice the cheese and apples and eat them together. Yum, makes a good sandwich also.

Gayle