IndiaDivine.org

Kaldomar Swedish Cabbage rolls recipe post can easily be vegan

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Now this recipe is an old family favorite I promised to post. My Gran made this almost once a week. Since then I had to vegetarianize them to fit into my lifestyle. The vegans can also adjust by replacing the egg. I hope you enjoy these. A new twist on the boiled in tomato sauce type.

"Kaldomar" Swedish cabbage rolls

1 large head of green cabbage (need the large leaves to roll up)

Filling

~~~~~~

1 cup (scant) of TVP reconstituted in a (full) cup of boiled water or use frozen Crumbles thawed

1/2 chopped onion

1 egg beaten

2 slices of stale dry bread torn into very small pieces

(optional I toss a handful of cooked rice into the mixture)

1 Tblspn. dried parsley

1/4 tsp. dried dill

pinch of cardamom if you like it (we cook with it quite a bit)

salt & pepper to taste

Note* Swedes don't eat spicy food so this mixture can be your own creation. Use the basics and adjust spices. You could make these spicy. My sister the spice hound, crumbles up the Tofurky Italian sausages and adds red pepper flakes.

Core the head of cabbage and place in a big pot of boiling water, boil until the leaves are limp but still firm enough to pull off the head and roll with filling. Cooking time depends but usually between 7-10 minutes. Keep checking. Cool the cabbage head when done and very carefull pull the leaves off in whole and set aside while you make the filling.

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

Mix the filling ingredients together. Depending on the size of the leaves, place 2-3 tablespoons of mixture in the cabbage leaf near the center. Fold the sides of the leaf over the filling and roll up. Place the rolls in a baking dish that has been brushed with a little canola oil. Brush the top of the rolls with a little melted butter or canola oil and bake for about 45 mins. Turn the rolls over and baste the tops and bake about 35 or so more mins. These are wonderful served alone or with mashed potatoes but remember I love everything served with mashed potatoes................ Vi ses (see you later)"In the present position of the planets, it's impossible to say;Just when I'll find my course again, with the boulders in my way.I should be rolling down the skyway on my cosmic wheels;Instead of stumbling down this highway on my boots of steel"Source: Cosmic Wheels by

Donovan