That's the special part of this group too, the warm and caring way everyone

wants to help and share.

melissa_hopp <hoppmel wrote:

i end up buying the pan for a few dollars and teaching someone how

to make them and giving them the pan.

>

what a super gift idea!!!

• 5 months later...

Hi! Yes, my in-laws are guinea pigs. The pie will taste good (I hope) but the crust looks absolutely horrible. I gave up. I'll need to practice. I can just hear Troy, darn, you have to practice :)

Yes, I have heard of cheese with apple pie. It is a neat combination. In fact, I think someone in my family has a recipe for it. I'll see if I can look that up. . .

JennPuterWitch <puterwitch wrote:

ahh so the in-laws are guinea pigs huh?

LOL just kiddin'

Ok you are gonna think this is whacky but ya know what goes great with apple pie? ....... cheese.

I even melt some and put it in with my sautéed apples.

My grandmom uncle and me would always eat a piece of cheese with our apple pie. She started it and it was really yummy so we always did it. :o)

Blessings,

Chanda

-

Jennifer

Saturday, September 10, 2005 8:40 AM

Re: Pie crust tips for Gayle

Amy -

Had to jump in and say thanks. Crusts are on my next item to tackle. I used to make l*rd crusts, but that is now out of the realm of our lifes. Troy's mom and stepdad are coming into town and I'm making apple pie today. Can't wait to try the pie.

JennAmy <sandpiperhiker wrote:

> I can not make pie crust, it comes out tough and hard every time. > No matter what I do I seem to overwork the dough. Gayle, my best method/tips for you if you want to try again at pie crust: Take your very cold stick of butter and chop it up in tiny pieces,*before* you add it to the dry ingredients. After you've dumped itinto the dry ingredients, do a good "mushing" with your pastry cutter(or two knives, or use your food processor in very short pulses) tomix them thoroughly so it looks like crumbs... then, push the crumbmixture to the sides, to make a well in the middle. Now: go wash yourhands so the next step doesn't leave you pasty/glue-y, then grab acouple of ice cubes and hold them for a minute (over the sink is good:-). When your fingers are good and cold, dry them off. Quickly pouryour recipe's cold liquid (it

usually isn't much) into the well youmade earlier, and dig in with your fingers, rubbing the crumbs betweenyour fingers - do this quickly, while your hands are chilly still, andremember speed is more important than finesse. :-) As soon as itstarts to come together, that's your cue to stop... gather it up andstart rolling it, gently. Chill after rolling and setting it in yourpan - it's much easier than chilling before!Good luck!!*pastryhugs*Amy

I microwave apples cheese and brown sugar and a little apple juice, then I pour that over graham cracker crumbs,

thhhhlllllurp!

hugs,

Chanda

-

Jennifer

Saturday, September 10, 2005 2:46 PM

Re: Chanda

Hi! Yes, my in-laws are guinea pigs. The pie will taste good (I hope) but the crust looks absolutely horrible. I gave up. I'll need to practice. I can just hear Troy, darn, you have to practice :)

Yes, I have heard of cheese with apple pie. It is a neat combination. In fact, I think someone in my family has a recipe for it. I'll see if I can look that up. . .

JennPuterWitch <puterwitch wrote:

ahh so the in-laws are guinea pigs huh?

LOL just kiddin'

Ok you are gonna think this is whacky but ya know what goes great with apple pie? ....... cheese.

I even melt some and put it in with my sautéed apples.

My grandmom uncle and me would always eat a piece of cheese with our apple pie. She started it and it was really yummy so we always did it. :o)

Blessings,

Chanda

-

Jennifer

Saturday, September 10, 2005 8:40 AM

Re: Pie crust tips for Gayle

Amy -

Had to jump in and say thanks. Crusts are on my next item to tackle. I used to make l*rd crusts, but that is now out of the realm of our lifes. Troy's mom and stepdad are coming into town and I'm making apple pie today. Can't wait to try the pie.

JennAmy <sandpiperhiker wrote:

> I can not make pie crust, it comes out tough and hard every time. > No matter what I do I seem to overwork the dough. Gayle, my best method/tips for you if you want to try again at pie crust: Take your very cold stick of butter and chop it up in tiny pieces,*before* you add it to the dry ingredients. After you've dumped itinto the dry ingredients, do a good "mushing" with your pastry cutter(or two knives, or use your food processor in very short pulses) tomix them thoroughly so it looks like crumbs... then, push the crumbmixture to the sides, to make a well in the middle. Now: go wash yourhands so the next step doesn't leave you pasty/glue-y, then grab acouple of ice cubes and hold them for a minute (over the sink is good:-). When your fingers are good and cold, dry them off. Quickly pouryour recipe's cold liquid (it usually isn't much) into the well youmade earlier, and dig in with your fingers, rubbing the crumbs betweenyour fingers - do this quickly, while your hands are chilly still, andremember speed is more important than finesse. :-) As soon as itstarts to come together, that's your cue to stop... gather it up andstart rolling it, gently. Chill after rolling and setting it in yourpan - it's much easier than chilling before!Good luck!!*pastryhugs*Amy

I'm in Grand Rapids, Michigan. My parents for awhile lived in Tuscan. I used to pick on them about it being a "dry heat." After I visited them for a week in August, I stopped picking on them. It was amazing how much heat one can tolerate if there is very little humidity.

Hopefully next summer will be more enjoyable. I want to try to grow some Thai basil since I've been getting into Thai food. Or all sorts of food, now :)

Have a great day.

Jenn

eah I have noticed that when a summer is bad, the next is better.

:o)

-

Jennifer

Friday, September 16, 2005 8:16 AM

Re: Chanda

I'm in Grand Rapids, Michigan. My parents for awhile lived in Tuscan. I used to pick on them about it being a "dry heat." After I visited them for a week in August, I stopped picking on them. It was amazing how much heat one can tolerate if there is very little humidity.

Hopefully next summer will be more enjoyable. I want to try to grow some Thai basil since I've been getting into Thai food. Or all sorts of food, now :)

Have a great day.

Jenn