IndiaDivine.org

Amy and her kitchen items

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Did you find a thrift shop near you? I wish I could toss a bunch of items your way. I have my fingers crossed you get everything soon. It's extremely hard living without your kitchen being set up and your furniture....Hugs, DonnaAmy <sandpiperhiker wrote:

That's ok, I'm patient! Plus I *still* haven't got my household goodsyet... I was really hoping today. But I got a glass cooking dish, soI can at least make rice & beans."In the present position of the planets, it's impossible to say;Just when I'll find my course again, with the boulders in my way.I should be rolling down the skyway on my cosmic wheels;Instead of stumbling down this highway on my boots of steel"Source: Cosmic Wheels by Donovan

> Did you find a thrift shop near you? I wish I could toss a bunch of

> items your way. I have my fingers crossed you get everything soon.

> It's extremely hard living without your kitchen being set up and your

> furniture....Hugs, Donna

I didn't yet, but I found a cheap dish with a lid that is good in the

microwave and in the oven (and I think on a burner even??) at Ikea.

They're supposed to have our stuff to us by Friday... they sure are

holding it out as long as they can!

Amy,where's the other Navy wives?? I know things have changed a lot since I was a Navy brat but has the military stopped taking care of its own? Every time we moved ( sometimes after only 1- 3 mos) there would be at least one, usually 2 navy wives who would come by to welcome us to the area/base, give my mom info on good civilian stores, babysitters, etc. We usually lived off base so often got a visit from the Welcome Wagon too.

First time I ever tasted apple butter it was home made by our new nieghbor who was retired navy wife. it was late, pouring rain, don't remember how long we'd been on the road - in a pick up truck, pulling a 8' x 40' housetrailer. Think I was about 8 or 9. I remember being sooooo tired and this nice man met us and led us to our spot in the trailer park- while he helped daddy hook up the elec, plumbing,etc this beautiful, smiling, grandmotherly woman took me, mama and baby sister in charge. there was other food too but I just remember that first taste of apple butter, it was sooo good and she was sooo nice and maybe this wasn't such a bad place to live after all and maybe we'd stay for a while. ( still loooove apple butter )

ooops, didn't mean to go off on a tangent there but its such a lovely memory to share, I got carried away LOL

Now movers not showing up was the same then - one of the reasons we lived in a trailerhouse we (daddy) could move ourselves!!

peace,

Angela

"Who I am is fine, it's just this body that's disabled!"

Amy <sandpiperhiker wrote:

> Did you find a thrift shop near you? I wish I could toss a bunch of > items your way. I have my fingers crossed you get everything soon. > It's extremely hard living without your kitchen being set up and your > furniture....Hugs, DonnaI didn't yet, but I found a cheap dish with a lid that is good in themicrowave and in the oven (and I think on a burner even??) at Ikea. They're supposed to have our stuff to us by Friday... they sure areholding it out as long as they can!

> Amy,where's the other Navy wives?? I know things have changed a lot

> since I was a Navy brat but has the military stopped taking care of

> its own? Every time we moved ( sometimes after only 1- 3 mos) there

> would be at least one, usually 2 navy wives who would come by to

> welcome us to the area/base, give my mom info on good civilian

> stores, babysitters, etc. We usually lived off base so often got a

> visit from the Welcome Wagon too.

Yeah, that seems to only work if the Navy person is working on a base.

:-( DH doesn't work for the base, he works for BRAC... *sigh* his

office doesn't even seem ready for him - no computer, no phone,

nothing. This hasn't been one of our most seamless moves! *lol*

> ooops, didn't mean to go off on a tangent there but its such a

> lovely memory to share, I got carried away LOL

That is indeed a lovely memory!! :-)

> Now movers not showing up was the same then - one of the reasons we

> lived in a trailerhouse we (daddy) could move ourselves!!

*grin* We have one more move or we'd probably consider it!!

*thankyouhugs*

Amy

ay know, sadly find people aren't like they used to be. It used to be "it takes a community to raise a Child" and it still does. When I was a kid I behaved because if mom didn't see me, a neighbor would and would tell her. Nowadays try to tell a working single mom that her son is dealing dope on the corner and she will bite your head off. When I tutored in the public schools a teacher had to wear armor to tell a parent their child wasn't doing well.

people don't care about community anymore. I notice they are mostly self absorbed andit's all about them. They don't care how other people feel, or if they are doing something that is ignorant to somebody else. I keep searching though, I keep searching for the good ones, the keepers, and if I sift through 50 of them I get to a diamond, like some of the diamonds right here in this room.

Most of the people who I treasure as being different from the rest I have met online too. Just like this. :o)

sorry for the rant,

hugs,

Chanda

-

Angela

Monday, September 12, 2005 10:40 PM

Re: Re: Amy and her kitchen items

Amy,where's the other Navy wives?? I know things have changed a lot since I was a Navy brat but has the military stopped taking care of its own? Every time we moved ( sometimes after only 1- 3 mos) there would be at least one, usually 2 navy wives who would come by to welcome us to the area/base, give my mom info on good civilian stores, babysitters, etc. We usually lived off base so often got a visit from the Welcome Wagon too.

First time I ever tasted apple butter it was home made by our new nieghbor who was retired navy wife. it was late, pouring rain, don't remember how long we'd been on the road - in a pick up truck, pulling a 8' x 40' housetrailer. Think I was about 8 or 9. I remember being sooooo tired and this nice man met us and led us to our spot in the trailer park- while he helped daddy hook up the elec, plumbing,etc this beautiful, smiling, grandmotherly woman took me, mama and baby sister in charge. there was other food too but I just remember that first taste of apple butter, it was sooo good and she was sooo nice and maybe this wasn't such a bad place to live after all and maybe we'd stay for a while. ( still loooove apple butter )

ooops, didn't mean to go off on a tangent there but its such a lovely memory to share, I got carried away LOL

Now movers not showing up was the same then - one of the reasons we lived in a trailerhouse we (daddy) could move ourselves!!

peace,

Angela

"Who I am is fine, it's just this body that's disabled!"

Amy <sandpiperhiker wrote:

> Did you find a thrift shop near you? I wish I could toss a bunch of > items your way. I have my fingers crossed you get everything soon. > It's extremely hard living without your kitchen being set up and your > furniture....Hugs, DonnaI didn't yet, but I found a cheap dish with a lid that is good in themicrowave and in the oven (and I think on a burner even??) at Ikea. They're supposed to have our stuff to us by Friday... they sure areholding it out as long as they can!

> people don't care about community anymore. I notice they are mostly

> self absorbed andit's all about them. They don't care how other people

> feel, or if they are doing something that is ignorant to somebody

> else. I keep searching though, I keep searching for the good ones, the

> keepers, and if I sift through 50 of them I get to a diamond, like

> some of the diamonds right here in this room.

>

> Most of the people who I treasure as being different from the rest I

> have met online too. Just like this. :o)

Ya know, Chanda, there are a lot of self-absorbed people out there,

really, but I think there are lots of diamonds too; they're just

hidden, or not polished yet so you can't tell they're diamonds until

you get to know them better....

*twinklyhugs*

Amy

>PuterWitch <puterwitch wrote:

>ay know, sadly find people aren't like they used to be. people >don't care about community anymore. I notice they are mostly >self absorbed andit's all about them. They don't care how other >people feel, or if they are doing something that is ignorant to >somebody else. <

In general I agree, but I went to the Big Spring Mall today ( in CA mini malls are bigger) 3 or 4 unleased store areas are full of things for Katrina survivors. one full of clothes( all new - not 'hand me overs'), one food, one household goods, toys, diapers, etc. all things donated by people here in B.S. and the surrounding area, all for the survivors that are living here now. Some will be staying permenantly, some will go back home or on to somewhere else. Last I heard I think we have 75 families here. The way this community has come together to help is wonderful. Kinda restored some of my faith in humanity. peace, Angela who I am is fine, it's just this body that's disabled!