IndiaDivine.org

epazote leaves was Pinto Beans recipe post-vegan

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Hi. For those who don't have access to the epazote leaves, you can order from http://www.penzeys.com/ We have a penzey spice store in town. I love it. But you do have to watch some of their products, high in salt if you aren't careful. I normally love to grow my own herbs, but there are some items I don't grow. Or like this summer it was so dreadfully hot (yes, I'm a wimp) that I didn't go out much. Actually it was the humidity that got me.

Anyway, Penzeys is a pretty neat place to visit if you go on vacation and find one.

Jenn purplepassion <thelilacflower wrote:

This is a simple basic recipe but they have a wonderful taste and everyone always asks, "please give me the recipe, what's in these."

'Pinto Beans"

2 cups of pinto beans, rinsed well

3 quarts of water

1 tsp. garlic powder or 2 cloves crushed

salt to taste when done.

I don't presoak the beans. I put all this in my crockpot and cook all day or place all ingedients on the stove in a dutch oven and bring to a boil and simmer uncovered for 2 1/2 to 3 hrs. Add water if necessary towards the end.

Note* I toss a 2 or 3 inch piece of kombu in the pot. It is a natural flavor enhancer and cuts down on the gas or I toss 2 epazote leaves in for flavor and it cuts down on the gas also. I know many members don't have access to these two products but I wanted to mention them just in case you find them along your travels. "In the present position of the planets, it's impossible to say;Just when I'll find my course again, with the boulders in my way.I should be rolling down the skyway on my cosmic wheels;Instead of stumbling down this highway on my boots of steel"Source: Cosmic Wheels by Donovan

for Good Click here to donate to the Hurricane Katrina relief effort.

I had the same problem this summer Jennifer. Where do you live? I live in Philadelphia Pennsylvania.

blessings,

Chanda

-

Jennifer

Friday, September 16, 2005 7:39 AM

Re: epazote leaves was "Pinto Beans" recipe post-vegan

Hi. For those who don't have access to the epazote leaves, you can order from http://www.penzeys.com/ We have a penzey spice store in town. I love it. But you do have to watch some of their products, high in salt if you aren't careful. I normally love to grow my own herbs, but there are some items I don't grow. Or like this summer it was so dreadfully hot (yes, I'm a wimp) that I didn't go out much. Actually it was the humidity that got me.

Anyway, Penzeys is a pretty neat place to visit if you go on vacation and find one.

Jenn purplepassion <thelilacflower wrote:

This is a simple basic recipe but they have a wonderful taste and everyone always asks, "please give me the recipe, what's in these."

'Pinto Beans"

2 cups of pinto beans, rinsed well

3 quarts of water

1 tsp. garlic powder or 2 cloves crushed

salt to taste when done.

I don't presoak the beans. I put all this in my crockpot and cook all day or place all ingedients on the stove in a dutch oven and bring to a boil and simmer uncovered for 2 1/2 to 3 hrs. Add water if necessary towards the end.

Note* I toss a 2 or 3 inch piece of kombu in the pot. It is a natural flavor enhancer and cuts down on the gas or I toss 2 epazote leaves in for flavor and it cuts down on the gas also. I know many members don't have access to these two products but I wanted to mention them just in case you find them along your travels. "In the present position of the planets, it's impossible to say;Just when I'll find my course again, with the boulders in my way.I should be rolling down the skyway on my cosmic wheels;Instead of stumbling down this highway on my boots of steel"Source: Cosmic Wheels by Donovan

for GoodClick here to donate to the Hurricane Katrina relief effort.

> Anyway, Penzeys is a pretty neat place to visit if you go on vacation

> and find one.

Hi, Jenn! I was spoiled when I lived in FL, because there was a

beautiful Penzey's store in town! It is indeed a great place to go -

the'll give you recipe ideas for every item (not necessarily veg for

sure, but still), and every spice has a " tester " jar for sniffing... :-)