IndiaDivine.org

How long do mushrooms keep?

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Hi. This is in response to the person who inquired about how long mushrooms keep. In my experience, I find that they keep about four or five days max. This is if you take them out of the plastic wrap immediately after buying them (if you get your mushrooms that way; that's the only way we can get ours here) and put them on a plate, and cover them loosely with a papertowel & refrigerate--until you are ready to use them.

Also, I don't cut out the black " gills " , I cook them and eat them too. Always have. Interesting, the different ideas on this, huh?

HTH,

Bron-- Just thought I'd drop you a vine...strawberry, watermelon, blackberry, pumpkin...

Those fans or gills give me the creeps.LOL I take a spoon and clean them out before I cook them.....DonnaBron <southernflower wrote:

Hi. This is in response to the person who inquired about how long mushrooms keep. In my experience, I find that they keep about four or five days max. This is if you take them out of the plastic wrap immediately after buying them (if you get your mushrooms that way; that's the only way we can get ours here) and put them on a plate, and cover them loosely with a papertowel & refrigerate--until you are ready to use them.

Also, I don't cut out the black "gills", I cook them and eat them too. Always have. Interesting, the different ideas on this, huh?

HTH,

Bron-- Just thought I'd drop you a vine...strawberry, watermelon, blackberry, pumpkin... "In the present position of the planets, it's impossible to say;Just when I'll find my course again, with the boulders in my way.I should be rolling down the skyway on my cosmic wheels;Instead of stumbling down this highway on my boots of steel"Source: Cosmic Wheels by Donovan

for Good Click here to donate to the Hurricane Katrina relief effort.

yeah this is true cause I have noticed theones I buy that are presliced last a week. :o)

blessings,

Chanda

-

Bron

Sunday, September 18, 2005 4:46 PM

How long do mushrooms keep?

Also, I don't cut out the black "gills", I cook them and eat them too. Always have. Interesting, the different ideas on this, huh?

HTH,

Bron-- Just thought I'd drop you a vine...strawberry, watermelon, blackberry, pumpkin...

LOL, so sorry to hear that, Donna, but to each her/his own, right? But still, I don't know, it makes me giggle. Sorry you don't like 'em. Too bad I can't get ahold of yours!

:>)

Oh, and to the lady, Amy, I think it was? who doesn't like greens? Cook you some up and make you some good buttermilk cornbread and dip your cornbread into the greens and pot likker...see if that doesn't change your mind on likin' greens!

But kudos to you for cookin' 'em for your dh, that's real lovin' of you to do.

REALLY loving!

Bron

On 9/18/05, purplepassion <thelilacflower wrote:

Those fans or gills give me the creeps.LOL I take a spoon and clean them out before I cook them.....Donna Bron <southernflower

wrote:

Also, I don't cut out the black " gills " , I cook them and eat them too. Always have. Interesting, the different ideas on this, huh?

HTH,

Bron-- Just thought I'd drop you a vine...strawberry, watermelon, blackberry, pumpkin... " In the present position of the planets, it's impossible to say;

Just when I'll find my course again, with the boulders in my way.I should be rolling down the skyway on my cosmic wheels;Instead of stumbling down this highway on my boots of steel " Source: Cosmic Wheels by Donovan

for GoodClick here to donate to the Hurricane Katrina relief effort.

I love greens. Try adding some garlic powder and sauté them in butter or margarine.

add some black pepper and salt or sea salt, yummy.

hugs,

Chanda

-

Bron

Sunday, September 18, 2005 5:05 PM

Re: How long do mushrooms keep?

LOL, so sorry to hear that, Donna, but to each her/his own, right? But still, I don't know, it makes me giggle. Sorry you don't like 'em. Too bad I can't get ahold of yours!

Oh, and to the lady, Amy, I think it was? who doesn't like greens? Cook you some up and make you some good buttermilk cornbread and dip your cornbread into the greens and pot likker...see if that doesn't change your mind on likin' greens!

REALLY loving!

Bron

On 9/18/05, purplepassion <thelilacflower wrote:

Those fans or gills give me the creeps.LOL I take a spoon and clean them out before I cook them.....Donna Bron <southernflower wrote:

HTH,

Bron-- Just thought I'd drop you a vine...strawberry, watermelon, blackberry, pumpkin... "In the present position of the planets, it's impossible to say;Just when I'll find my course again, with the boulders in my way.I should be rolling down the skyway on my cosmic wheels;Instead of stumbling down this highway on my boots of steel"Source: Cosmic Wheels by Donovan

Well, Chanda, as a traditional Southerner, I just like my greens that certain way. :>) But I'm glad you've found a way to love 'em too!

hugs back,

Bron

On 9/18/05, PuterWitch <puterwitch wrote:

I love greens. Try adding some garlic powder and sauté them in butter or margarine.

add some black pepper and salt or sea salt, yummy.

hugs,

Chanda

-

Bron

Sunday, September 18, 2005 5:05 PM

Re: How long do mushrooms keep?

REALLY loving!

Bron

On 9/18/05, purplepassion <thelilacflower

> wrote:

Those fans or gills give me the creeps.LOL I take a spoon and clean them out before I cook them.....Donna Bron <southernflower wrote:

HTH,

Bron-- Just thought I'd drop you a vine...strawberry, watermelon, blackberry, pumpkin... " In the present position of the planets, it's impossible to say;

Just when I'll find my course again, with the boulders in my way.I should be rolling down the skyway on my cosmic wheels;Instead of stumbling down this highway on my boots of steel " Source: Cosmic Wheels by Donovan

> Those fans or gills give me the creeps.LOL I take a spoon and clean

> them out before I cook them.....Donna

The whole mushroom gets me! I can only eat them minced *very* fine

and mixed in something.

> Oh, and to the lady, Amy, I think it was? who doesn't like greens?

> Cook you some up and make you some good buttermilk cornbread and dip

> your cornbread into the greens and pot likker...see if that doesn't

> change your mind on likin' greens!

That's me! And I've tried that too - that's how his folks do them

whenever we visit! But thanks for the effort! I only like them

minced fine and mixed into something (soup, maybe, or quiche, or raw).

> But kudos to you for cookin' 'em for your dh, that's real lovin' of

> you to do. REALLY loving!

Thanks, Bron! I do try to treat my guy well - he sure treats me well! :-)

Amy