IndiaDivine.org

Lobhia Punjabi recipe for black eye peas (Indian version) recipe post

Rate this topic

Guest guest

This is from Chandni Vegetarian Cuisine of India in Culver City, CA. He is from the Punjab. There's a bunch of us that get together and eat here every few months. The owner is good about sharing recipes. I'm not a huge fan of Indian cooking but these are wonderful....Donna

Punjabi Black Eye Peas (Lobhia)

2 cups blackeye peas1 1/2 teaspoons salt, or to taste1 1/2 teaspoons ground coriander3/4 teaspoon ground cumin1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric2 tablespoons oil1 small onion, chopped2 large cloves garlic, chopped1 (3/4-inch piece) ginger root, peeled and chopped Scant 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds1 medium tomato, chopped

Method

In pot soak beans overnight in water to cover generously. Next day, drain beans, cover with fresh water and bring to boil. Add salt, coriander, cumin and turmeric. Simmer until beans are just tender, about30 to 45 minutes. Heat oil in deep saucepan. Add onion, garlic, ginger and cumin. Fry10 minutes and add tomato. Cook another 5 minutes and add beans and cooking liquid. Continue to simmer, uncovered, until beans are soft but not completely dissolved. Mixture should be soupy. Makes 6 to 8 servings.

DeleteReplyForwardSpamMove... "We take a walk, the sun is shining down.Burns my feet as they touch the ground."Good Day Sunshine - Beatles

for Good Click here to donate to the Hurricane Katrina relief effort.

oh I am doing these!!!!!

-

purplepassion

GROUP

Sunday, September 25, 2005 9:23 AM

"Lobhia" Punjabi recipe for black eye peas (Indian version) recipe post

This is from Chandni Vegetarian Cuisine of India in Culver City, CA. He is from the Punjab. There's a bunch of us that get together and eat here every few months. The owner is good about sharing recipes. I'm not a huge fan of Indian cooking but these are wonderful....Donna

Punjabi Black Eye Peas (Lobhia)

2 cups blackeye peas1 1/2 teaspoons salt, or to taste1 1/2 teaspoons ground coriander3/4 teaspoon ground cumin1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric2 tablespoons oil1 small onion, chopped2 large cloves garlic, chopped1 (3/4-inch piece) ginger root, peeled and chopped Scant 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds1 medium tomato, chopped

Method

In pot soak beans overnight in water to cover generously. Next day, drain beans, cover with fresh water and bring to boil. Add salt, coriander, cumin and turmeric. Simmer until beans are just tender, about30 to 45 minutes. Heat oil in deep saucepan. Add onion, garlic, ginger and cumin. Fry10 minutes and add tomato. Cook another 5 minutes and add beans and cooking liquid. Continue to simmer, uncovered, until beans are soft but not completely dissolved. Mixture should be soupy. Makes 6 to 8 servings.

DeleteReplyForwardSpamMove... "We take a walk, the sun is shining down.Burns my feet as they touch the ground."Good Day Sunshine - Beatles

for GoodClick here to donate to the Hurricane Katrina relief effort.