IndiaDivine.org

veg. shortening question Hi Julie

Rate this topic

Guest guest

I might night be a big help here. When my quick breads call for oil I use canola but when I bake cookies I don't spare the real butter. I'm a Swede and we love baking with butter. As healthy as I eat I can't break that habit. I use Earth Balance on my mashed potatoes and toast though, I haven't tried baking with it. I'm sure Jenni or Amy will have the answer as far as a healthy shortening goes.

Donna Julie Braswell <abnjb wrote:

Hi all,I have a question for ya! When a recipe calls for veg. shortening, what can I use. Is there a "healthy" shortening. The ones in the store are man made and I don't eat man made! lol!help,Julie "Welcome to the jungle we've got fun n' games.We got everything you want, honey we know the names.We are the people that can find whatever you may need.Source: Guns N' Roses "Welcome to the Jungle"

for Good Click here to donate to the Hurricane Katrina relief effort.

there is a palm oil shortening.. I think it is put out by spectrum,

pretty sure they make organic as well.. but I am not certain about the

brand... easily googled...

... I bought it once from Trader joes... I tend to use the non

hydrogenated earth balance... I'm also experimented (successfully!)

with using olive oil in place of butter!

What recipe is calling for shortening?

=)

jenni

On Wednesday, September 28, 2005, at 09:13 PM, purplepassion wrote:

> I might night be a big help here.  When my quick breads call for oil I

> use canola but when I bake cookies I don't spare the real butter.  I'm

> a Swede and we love baking with butter.  As healthy as I eat I can't

> break that habit.  I use Earth Balance on my mashed potatoes and toast

> though, I haven't tried baking with it.  I'm sure Jenni or Amy will

> have the answer as far as a healthy shortening goes.

> Donna 

>

> Julie Braswell <abnjb wrote:

>

> Hi all,

> I have a question for ya!  When a recipe calls for veg. shortening,

> what can

> I use.  Is there a " healthy " shortening.  The ones in the store are

> man made

> and I don't eat man made! lol!

> help,

> Julie

Me too. I use canola and use real organic butter. I wonder if the recipe calls for shortening if I can substitute butter? I know i can substitute flaxseed, ground, for it but I had to use 3/4 cup and multiply that by 3 and that's how much flax I would have to use. And by golly, that is a lot!

Julie

p.s. Donna, who is tired here tonight? "I might night" did you mean might not? LOL!!! That cold is kicking your butt!

night, night,

Julie

I might night be a big help here. When my quick breads call for oil I use canola but when I bake cookies I don't spare the real butter. I'm a Swede and we love baking with butter. As healthy as I eat I can't break that habit. I use Earth Balance on my mashed potatoes and toast though, I haven't tried baking with it. I'm sure Jenni or Amy will have the answer as far as a healthy shortening goes.

Hi all,I have a question for ya! When a recipe calls for veg. shortening, what can I use. Is there a "healthy" shortening. The ones in the store are man made and I don't eat man made! lol!help,Julie "Welcome to the jungle we've got fun n' games.We got everything you want, honey we know the names.We are the people that can find whatever you may need.Source: Guns N' Roses "Welcome to the Jungle"

for GoodClick here to donate to the Hurricane Katrina relief effort.

In a cookie if it calls for shortening I use butter with better results. Flavor wise, and the cookie if it's a drop cookie stays round and doesn't spread all over the cookie sheet. hahahaha I always make typo errors up here in the loft area that's kind of dark and then my eyes are watery..LOL Night night anyway...hehehe DonnaJulie Braswell <abnjb wrote:

Me too. I use canola and use real organic butter. I wonder if the recipe calls for shortening if I can substitute butter? I know i can substitute flaxseed, ground, for it but I had to use 3/4 cup and multiply that by 3 and that's how much flax I would have to use. And by golly, that is a lot!

Julie

p.s. Donna, who is tired here tonight? "I might night" did you mean might not? LOL!!! That cold is kicking your butt!

night, night,

Julie

for GoodClick here to donate to the Hurricane Katrina relief effort. "Welcome to the jungle we've got fun n' games.We got everything you want, honey we know the names.We are the people that can find whatever you may need.Source: Guns N' Roses "Welcome to the Jungle"

for Good Click here to donate to the Hurricane Katrina relief effort.

I made banana cookies (I added oatmeal, raisins, and nuts) yum, yum!!

Julie

there is a palm oil shortening.. I think it is put out by spectrum, pretty sure they make organic as well.. but I am not certain about the brand... easily googled... .. I bought it once from Trader joes... I tend to use the non hydrogenated earth balance... I'm also experimented (successfully!) with using olive oil in place of butter!What recipe is calling for shortening?=)jenniOn Wednesday, September 28, 2005, at 09:13 PM, purplepassion wrote:

I might night be a big help here. When my quick breads call for oil I use canola but when I bake cookies I don't spare the real butter. I'm a Swede and we love baking with butter. As healthy as I eat I can't break that habit. I use Earth Balance on my mashed potatoes and toast though, I haven't tried baking with it. I'm sure Jenni or Amy will have the answer as far as a healthy shortening goes.Donna Julie Braswell <abnjb wrote:Hi all,I have a question for ya! When a recipe calls for veg. shortening, what canI use. Is there a "healthy" shortening. The ones in the store are man madeand I don't eat man made! lol!help,Julie

I'll have to try the olive oil and see how it works!

Julie

there is a palm oil shortening.. I think it is put out by spectrum, pretty sure they make organic as well.. but I am not certain about the brand... easily googled... .. I bought it once from Trader joes... I tend to use the non hydrogenated earth balance... I'm also experimented (successfully!) with using olive oil in place of butter!What recipe is calling for shortening?=)jenniOn Wednesday, September 28, 2005, at 09:13 PM, purplepassion wrote:

I might night be a big help here. When my quick breads call for oil I use canola but when I bake cookies I don't spare the real butter. I'm a Swede and we love baking with butter. As healthy as I eat I can't break that habit. I use Earth Balance on my mashed potatoes and toast though, I haven't tried baking with it. I'm sure Jenni or Amy will have the answer as far as a healthy shortening goes.Donna Julie Braswell <abnjb wrote:Hi all,I have a question for ya! When a recipe calls for veg. shortening, what canI use. Is there a "healthy" shortening. The ones in the store are man madeand I don't eat man made! lol!help,Julie

thanks for the feed back. I'd rather use butter than shortening any day. I am going to order the organic shortening from the website given to me by Amy.

nighty night,

Julie

**who's coo coo for more sleep!!!****

In a cookie if it calls for shortening I use butter with better results. Flavor wise, and the cookie if it's a drop cookie stays round and doesn't spread all over the cookie sheet. hahahaha I always make typo errors up here in the loft area that's kind of dark and then my eyes are watery..LOL Night night anyway...hehehe DonnaJulie Braswell <abnjb wrote:

Julie

night, night,

Julie

for GoodClick here to donate to the Hurricane Katrina relief effort. "Welcome to the jungle we've got fun n' games.We got everything you want, honey we know the names.We are the people that can find whatever you may need.Source: Guns N' Roses "Welcome to the Jungle"

for GoodClick here to donate to the Hurricane Katrina relief effort.