IndiaDivine.org

RE: Most important action: don't breed (kids, or any other animals)

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Tammy,

Certainly no argument about going vegan, but even though I

understand the point that you’re trying to convey in suggesting not to

breed as “the most important” action, you realize this is pretty

ludicrous. Yes, everyone should go vegan and help the world, but then when they

die, there won’t be kids that may be fortunate to be raised vegan from

birth (as I’m doing right now) who can instill the right environmental philosophy

into their peers as they grow. We all know that it’s much easier and more

effective to educate kids about vegan ethics than hoping adults “see

the light”. And who would make a better vegan “ambassador” to

the kids than another kid, especially if one becomes a celebrity on a scale

like Hannah Montana (I know almost nothing about her, except that she’s a

superstar).

I suppose if one wanted a child, adopting one would be the equivalent

of adopting a pet, but that doesn’t carry the same motivation as it’s

not like there are tons of unwanted babies that must be euthanized in a week.

Deciding to raise any animal, including human, would incur the same

environmental impact over a lifetime regardless whether the animal is adopted

or bred into existence. I will always adopt cats from a shelter, but deciding

on having one’s own child is just a personal decision that is unrelated

to veganism.

So while the philosophy of adding less impact to the environment

the better is sound—and “leave no trace” is certainly the backpacker’s

motto that I adhere to—telling *vegans* to not have kids isn’t so

sound. I’m proud of be raising a vegan daughter from birth who I hope

will be my investment that will pay back to all life big time in the

not-so-distant future.

Erhhung

On Behalf Of Tammy,

BAVeg

Saturday, June 27, 2009 6:18 PM

wynelleu; ''

RE: Confused- Is S.B. 250 good or is it bad because

it hurts feral and low-income cat households?

I think the two most important actions that anyone concerned with

the future of all

life on this planet can do is:

1) go vegan

2) don't breed (kids, or any other animals)

Tammy

Guest guest

Hi all,

> Certainly no argument about going vegan, but even though I understand the point that you’re trying to convey in suggesting not to breed as “the most important” action, you realize this is pretty ludicrous.

I was actually serious when I stated my opinion that the two most single-important actions for anyone concerned with the future of all life on this planet is to go vegan and not to breed (kids, or other animals). It's easy enough to say it's a personal choice to have kids or not have kids, and it really is. But, let me take this a step further, that's also the response I get from people about why they eat animals.

And, when it comes to offspring, yes, one may be raising them as veg*n now, but ultimately they do grow up and who knows what decisions they will make. After all, my parents raised me to eat animals and look how I turned out!

For those who do have children and who are raising them as vegan and vegetarian, that's excellent. Let me just add, for those who do want to create more veg*ns without experiencing childbirth, try public education and outreach, like leafleting, tabling, etc. We're not going to create a vegan world by giving birth to more vegans. The real solution to creating a more vegan world is public education and outreach.

Cheers,

Tammy

My two cents, vegan-style .. - today or read it on GenerationV.org

Save a life today - help us with public education & outreach

07/04 Sand-n-Surf Vegan Food Party! - Montara State Beach 07/12 San Pedro Valley Hike - Pacifica 07/12 Food for Thought Book Club (new members welcome)

On Behalf Of Erhhung YuanSaturday, June 27, 2009 9:59 PM'' RE: Most important action: don't breed (kids, or any other animals)

Tammy,

Certainly no argument about going vegan, but even though I understand the point that you’re trying to convey in suggesting not to breed as “the most important” action, you realize this is pretty ludicrous. Yes, everyone should go vegan and help the world, but then when they die, there won’t be kids that may be fortunate to be raised vegan from birth (as I’m doing right now) who can instill the right environmental philosophy into their peers as they grow. We all know that it’s much easier and more effective to educate kids about vegan ethics than hoping adults “see the light”. And who would make a better vegan “ambassador” to the kids than another kid, especially if one becomes a celebrity on a scale like Hannah Montana (I know almost nothing about her, except that she’s a superstar).

I suppose if one wanted a child, adopting one would be the equivalent of adopting a pet, but that doesn’t carry the same motivation as it’s not like there are tons of unwanted babies that must be euthanized in a week. Deciding to raise any animal, including human, would incur the same environmental impact over a lifetime regardless whether the animal is adopted or bred into existence. I will always adopt cats from a shelter, but deciding on having one’s own child is just a personal decision that is unrelated to veganism.

So while the philosophy of adding less impact to the environment the better is sound—and “leave no trace” is certainly the backpacker’s motto that I adhere to—telling *vegans* to not have kids isn’t so sound. I’m proud of be raising a vegan daughter from birth who I hope will be my investment that will pay back to all life big time in the not-so-distant future.

Erhhung

On Behalf Of Tammy, BAVegSaturday, June 27, 2009 6:18 PMwynelleu (AT) pacbell (DOT) net; ''RE: Confused- Is S.B. 250 good or is it bad because it hurts feral and low-income cat households?

I think the two most important actions that anyone concerned with the future of all life on this planet can do is:

1) go vegan

Tammy

Guest guest

Here's my two cents for what it's worth.

I agree 100% with Tammy. If you already have kids and are raising them vegan and teaching them values like compassion, respect for the earth, etc., that is just awesome!!! More power to you. Kudos, Kudos! You get my applause!

But if you don't have kids and are thinking about having them, you might want to rethink that idea. The amount of resources a person uses in their lifetime is HUGE even if they are extremely environmentally responsible people.

There are WAY too many people on this planet now and it's causing many environmental problems.

If you do want children please consider adoption. There are many kids out there who want to be adopted

And I do think that educating the public about issues including veganism is a much smarter way to go then putting another person on the earth and hoping they follow your values. BTW, I have met people who eat meat and say they were raised vegetarian.

Warren

In a message dated 6/30/09 1:08:02 AM, tammy writes:

Hi all,

> Certainly no argument about  going vegan, but even though I understand the point that you’re trying to convey in suggesting not to breed as “the most important†action, you realize this is pretty ludicrous.

I was actually serious when I stated my opinion that the two most single-important actions for anyone concerned with the future of all life on this planet is to go vegan and not to breed (kids, or other animals).  It's easy enough to say it's a personal choice to have kids or not have kids, and it really is.  But, let me take this a step further, that's also the response I get from people about why they eat animals. 

And, when it comes to offspring, yes, one may be raising them as veg*n now, but ultimately they do grow up and who knows what decisions they will make.  After all, my parents raised me to eat animals and look how I turned out!

For those who do have children and who are raising them as vegan and vegetarian, that's excellent.  Let me just add, for those who do want to create more veg*ns without experiencing childbirth, try public education and outreach, like leafleting, tabling, etc.  We're not going to create a vegan world by giving birth to more vegans.  The real solution to creating a more vegan world is public education and outreach.

Cheers,

Tammy

My two cents, vegan-style ..

- today or read it on GenerationV.Gene

Save a life today - help us with public education & outreach

07/04 Sand-n-Surf Vegan Food Party! - Montara State Beach

07/12 San Pedro Valley Hike - Pacifica

07/12 Food for Thought Book Club (new members welcome)

@ @<wbr @yah sfbaOn Behalf Of Erhhung Yuan

Saturday, June 27, 2009 9:59 PM

''

RE: Most important action: don't breed (kids, or any other animals)

Tammy,

Certainly no argument about  going vegan, but even though I understand the point that you’re trying to convey in suggesting not to breed as “the most important†action, you realize this is pretty ludicrous. Yes, everyone should go vegan and help the world, but then when they die, there won’t be kids that may be fortunate to be raised vegan from birth (as I’m doing right now) who can instill the right environmental philosophy into their peers as they grow. We all know that it’s much easier and more effective to educate kids about vegan ethics than hoping adults  “see the lightâ€. And who would make a better vegan “ambassador†to the kids than another kid, especially if one becomes a celebrity on a scale like Hannah Montana (I know almost nothing about her, except that she’s a superstar).

I suppose if one wanted a child, adopting one would be the equivalent of adopting a pet, but that doesn’t carry the same motivation as it’s not like there are tons of unwanted babies that must be euthanized in a week. Deciding to raise any animal, including human, would incur the same environmental impact over a lifetime regardless whether the animal is adopted or bred into existence. I will always adopt cats from a shelter, but deciding on having one’s own child is just a personal decision that is unrelated to veganism.

So while the philosophy of adding less impact to the environment the better is sound—and “leave no trace†is certainly the backpacker’s motto that I adhere to—telling *vegans* to not have kids isn’t so sound. I’m proud of be raising a vegan daughter from birth who I hope will be my investment that will pay back to all life big time in the not-so-distant future.

Erhhung

@ @<wbr @yah sfbaOn Behalf Of Tammy, BAVeg

Saturday, June 27, 2009 6:18 PM

wynelleu (AT) pacbell (DOT) wynelleu@p

RE: Confused- Is S.B. 250 good or is it bad because it hurts feral and low-income cat households?

I think the two most important actions that anyone concerned with the future of all life on this planet can do is:

1) go vegan

Tammy

**************A Good Credit Score is 700 or Above. See yours in just 2 easy steps! (http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100126575x1222377075x1201454393/aol?redir=http://www.freecreditreport.com/pm/default.aspx?sc=668072 & hmpgID=62 & bcd=JunestepsfooterNO62)

Guest guest

Tammy's point about education and outreach is excellent, and it likely

has a much better ROI than raising vegan kids who may or may not remain

vegan and who may or may not become advocates or activists.

But I'm 100% opposite re the kids issue. Yes, Americans are a drain on

the planet. However, the families that are reproducing at high rates in

this country and around the world are often religious zealots (very bad

for civilization), religious wackos (very bad for pro-choice people and

other progressives), political conservatives (very bad for the

environment ( " Global Warming is a lie! " ) and world peace), and in

general, idiotic unenlightened people who feel it's their duty to

populate the planet with clones of themselves (think Rush Limbaugh

dittoheads). Education and outreach won't have any effect on the vast

majority of those brainwashed offspring, and eventually we progressives

will essentially die out or be imprisoned and put to death (that's not a

joke). This is a global culture war, and we need more people on our

side....and the odds ARE much better than 50/50 that a vegan child will

grow up to be a free-thinking progressive human.

Cheers,

--Mark