IndiaDivine.org

Sonoma Vegan and Vegetarian Food Festival

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Just received this press release from a friend...

North Bay Goes Big on " Green Cuisine "

Sonoma's First Annual Vegan & Vegetarian Food Festival to be held in Downtown

Cotati

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

From down home Hominy Black Bean Chili to Middle Eastern specialties, Cotati-

best known for its annual Accordion Festival- will enter the Bay Area's

food-centric event world on Saturday and Sunday August 1 & 2 when over 5000

locals and visitors are expected to partake in Sonoma's 1st Annual Vegan &

Vegetarian Food Festival in La Plaza Park in downtown Cotati, at the corner of

Old Redwood Highway and West Sierra Avenue; only 40 minutes drive from the GG

and Richmond bridges.

Organized as a " Green Cuisine " Appreciation Day by Robby Garcha of Cotati's

popular Masala Jack's Indian Restaurant, 15 restaurants and caterers will

showcase their vegan and vegetarian specialties from 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. each day-

with musical bands and performances by children's groups, martial arts students

and dance troupes adding to the festive atmosphere. Arranged to coincide with a

national conference of vegetarians staying at nearby Sonoma State, the event is

free for all to attend.

Delicious food representing a wide variety of styles will be sold by Raw Bliss

Foods, Taqueria El Coronel, Sahara Middle Eastern Cuisine, Oliver's Market,

Nan's Gourmet Foods, JK's Four Season, Seed, El Malecon, Fresh China, Karma

Bistro, and Sally Tomatoes. Meals for Change, a new East Bay based " social

enterprise kitchen " launching in Bay Area grocery stores this fall, will be

serving up unusual vegan dishes such as a " Shepherdless " Pie and Chunky

Vegetable Paella while those with a craving for something sweet will be happily

accommodated by California Funnel Cakes, Pinky's Old Fashion Cotton Candy &

Treats and Del Secco's Gelato 'N Sweets. Various service & craft vendors will

also display their wares.

The Vegan & Vegetarian Food Festival is sponsored by the Cotati Chamber of

Commerce (http://www.cotati.org/index.cfm/fuseaction/events.main/) . For more

information, call Robby Garcha at 707-591-1786 or email chamber.

Francie Salle

franciesalle

Guest guest

Hi Francie,

Are the restaurants in the Vegan & Vegetarian Food Festival vegan & vegetarian?

Thanks,

Claire Wylde

franciesalle <franciesalle Sent: Saturday, July 25, 2009 7:34:06 AM Sonoma Vegan and Vegetarian Food Festival

Just received this press release from a friend...North Bay Goes Big on "Green Cuisine"Sonoma's First Annual Vegan & Vegetarian Food Festival to be held in Downtown CotatiFOR IMMEDIATE RELEASEFrom down home Hominy Black Bean Chili to Middle Eastern specialties, Cotati- best known for its annual Accordion Festival- will enter the Bay Area's food-centric event world on Saturday and Sunday August 1 & 2 when over 5000 locals and visitors are expected to partake in Sonoma's 1st Annual Vegan & Vegetarian Food Festival in La Plaza Park in downtown Cotati, at the corner of Old Redwood Highway and West Sierra Avenue; only 40 minutes drive from the GG and Richmond bridges.Organized as a "Green Cuisine" Appreciation Day by Robby Garcha of Cotati's popular Masala Jack's Indian Restaurant, 15 restaurants and caterers will showcase their vegan and vegetarian specialties from 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. each day- with musical bands

and performances by children's groups, martial arts students and dance troupes adding to the festive atmosphere. Arranged to coincide with a national conference of vegetarians staying at nearby Sonoma State, the event is free for all to attend.Delicious food representing a wide variety of styles will be sold by Raw Bliss Foods, Taqueria El Coronel, Sahara Middle Eastern Cuisine, Oliver's Market, Nan's Gourmet Foods, JK's Four Season, Seed, El Malecon, Fresh China, Karma Bistro, and Sally Tomatoes. Meals for Change, a new East Bay based "social enterprise kitchen" launching in Bay Area grocery stores this fall, will be serving up unusual vegan dishes such as a "Shepherdless" Pie and Chunky Vegetable Paella while those with a craving for something sweet will be happily accommodated by California Funnel Cakes, Pinky's Old Fashion Cotton Candy & Treats and Del Secco's Gelato 'N Sweets. Various service & craft vendors will also display their

wares.The Vegan & Vegetarian Food Festival is sponsored by the Cotati Chamber of Commerce (http://www.cotati. org/index. cfm/fuseaction/ events.main/) . For more information, call Robby Garcha at 707-591-1786 or email chamber (AT) cotati (DOT) org.Francie Sallefranciesalle@ hotmail.com

Guest guest

if you hear anything about the sonoma state veg conference, pls post!

this is the best news,, great posting, especially when it's supported by a

local government.

http://www.cotati.org/index.cfm/fuseaction/events.main/

Seed and Raw Bliss are the only 100% veg places to eat at that event.

Masala Jack, Fresh China and most of the restaurants are mixed-veg restaurants.

My vegan friend S. works for the event. She is trying to get more veg

businesses to be at the event.

If you want to rent a vegan studio for $30 a night in Sebastopal which is 20 min

away, pls contact me. It's cheaper than a $50-$150 hotel rooms.

winnie

, " franciesalle " <franciesalle wrote:

>

>

> FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

>\

>

> Delicious food representing a wide variety of styles will be sold by Raw

Bliss Foods, Taqueria El Coronel, Sahara Middle Eastern Cuisine, Oliver's

Market, Nan's Gourmet Foods, JK's Four Season, Seed, El Malecon, Fresh

China, Karma Bistro, and Sally Tomatoes. Meals for Change, a new East Bay

based " social enterprise kitchen " launching in Bay Area grocery stores this

fall, will be serving up un

>

Guest guest

I also found this photo on yelp. Most unappetizing. So far as I know, there are no veg restaurants in Cotati. Why is a "Vegetarian/Vegan Food Festival" comprised of animal-based venues (and the Chamber of Commerce)?

sunny_outdoors <sunny_outdoorsClaire Wylde <vegartSunday, July 26, 2009 8:50:23 PMRe: Sonoma Vegan and Vegetarian Food Festivalthe main restaurant that's sponsoring the event is not veghttp://www.yelp.com/biz/masala-jacks-original-good-ol-indian-curryhouse-cotatiand baveg don't have any veg restaurant listed in cotatiwould like to know what kind of Veg Conference is going on in Sonomamust be for students cause we haven't heardpls find out if you can , Claire Wylde <vegart wrote:>> Hi

Francie,>> Are the restaurants in the Vegan & Vegetarian Food Festival vegan & vegetarian?>> Thanks,> Claire Wylde>>>>> ________________________________> franciesalle <franciesalle> > Saturday, July 25, 2009 7:34:06 AM> Sonoma Vegan and Vegetarian Food Festival>> > Just received this press release from a friend...>> North Bay Goes Big on "Green Cuisine"> Sonoma's First Annual Vegan & Vegetarian Food Festival to be held in Downtown Cotati>> FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE> From down home Hominy Black Bean Chili to Middle Eastern specialties, Cotati- best known for its annual Accordion Festival- will enter the Bay Area's

food-centric event world on Saturday and Sunday August 1 & 2 when over 5000 locals and visitors are expected to partake in Sonoma's 1st Annual Vegan & Vegetarian Food Festival in La Plaza Park in downtown Cotati, at the corner of Old Redwood Highway and West Sierra Avenue; only 40 minutes drive from the GG and Richmond bridges.>> Organized as a "Green Cuisine" Appreciation Day by Robby Garcha of Cotati's popular Masala Jack's Indian Restaurant, 15 restaurants and caterers will showcase their vegan and vegetarian specialties from 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. each day- with musical bands and performances by children's groups, martial arts students and dance troupes adding to the festive atmosphere.. Arranged to coincide with a national conference of vegetarians staying at nearby Sonoma State, the event is free for all to attend.>> Delicious food representing a wide variety of styles will be sold by Raw Bliss Foods, Taqueria El

Coronel, Sahara Middle Eastern Cuisine, Oliver's Market, Nan's Gourmet Foods, JK's Four Season, Seed, El Malecon, Fresh China, Karma Bistro, and Sally Tomatoes. Meals for Change, a new East Bay based "social enterprise kitchen" launching in Bay Area grocery stores this fall, will be serving up unusual vegan dishes such as a "Shepherdless" Pie and Chunky Vegetable Paella while those with a craving for something sweet will be happily accommodated by California Funnel Cakes, Pinky's Old Fashion Cotton Candy & Treats and Del Secco's Gelato 'N Sweets. Various service & craft vendors will also display their wares.>> The Vegan & Vegetarian Food Festival is sponsored by the Cotati Chamber of Commerce (http://www.cotati. org/index. cfm/fuseaction/ events.main/) . For more information, call Robby Garcha at 707-591-1786 or email chamber (AT) cotati (DOT) org.>> Francie Salle> franciesalle@ hotmail.com>

Guest guest

> "Why is a "Vegetarian/Vegan Food Festival" comprised of animal-based venues (and the Chamber of Commerce)? "

I don't believe that vegans and vegetarians have the exclusive rights to promote veg food .. and since there are no veg restaurants in Cotati, maybe the best they can do is get their existing restaurants to offer veg and vegan food. And, if any of these restaurants were to incorporate these offerings onto their menus on a regular basis, this would make it easier to eat veg.

I always thought the Chamber of Commerce exists to promote their local businesses, so if they want to give it a veg slant instead of focusing on foie gras or some other atrocity to animals, I think we should be applauding them instead of questioning them.

Honestly, my first thought when I read this was there's a veg insider working on it, and how clever it is to get the Chamber of Commerce to sponsor it. It just makes it look more mainstream.

Cheers,

Tammy

My two cents, vegan-style .. - today or read it on GenerationV.org

Save a life today - help us with public education & outreach

08/09 Food for Thought Philosophy Discussion: Case for Animal Rights - SF 09/19 Food for Thought Book Club: Ethics Into Action (new members welcome) - SF

Guest guest

Tammy, your last post was well written. It came from a very intelligent and

open minded person.

==

Thanks for guiding/leading a lot of us towards helping/educating others to a

potential vegan lifestyle.

==

I met a passonate vegan that said she won't associate with anyone who's not a

vegan. Then I told her " but we need people like you to interact with non-vegans

so we can educate them "

What I'm trying to say, I'll never forget what John Robbins said, " Every small

step, no matter how small or insignificant is a good positive step to a larger

goal " (he said something like that)

==

more details this weekend in Cotati:

The Group " Science of the Soul " will be in town. They promotes a vegetarian

diet. That's why the town is " going vegetarian " on Aug 1 and 2.

http://www.scienceofthesoul.org/

(read the last line)

My vegan friend who's a vegan chef and has nothing to do with Science of the

Soul, who's helping out, said, the main reason there's a big " conference " is

because Guru Singh is coming to town.

I called Robby, the owner of Masala Jacks, he said this weekend 3,500

vegetarians will be staying at Sonoma State University. 3,000 of those people

are Asian Indians. He said they expect 12,000 people this weekend... mostly

vegetarians.. to be in Cotati.

I'm still waiting for Robby to email me more details.

winnie

, " Tammy, BAVeg " <tammy wrote:

> I don't believe that vegans and vegetarians have the exclusive rights to

> promote veg food .. and since there are no veg restaurants in Cotati, maybe

> the best they can do is get their existing restaurants to offer veg and

> vegan food. And, if any of these restaurants were to incorporate