IndiaDivine.org

Culture Jamming for Animal Rights

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Culture jamming (according to Wikipedia, at least) is " a tactic in which an activist attempts to disrupt or subvert mainstream cultural institutions or corporate advertising (that) sometimes entails transforming mass media to produce ironic or satirical commentary about itself, using the original medium's communication method. " Among the masters of this approach to social change are The Yes Men, whose new comedy/documentary premiered a few days ago on HBO. Watch The Yes Men Fix the World to learn all about their valiant and very amusing efforts to combat the flawed doctrine of corporate dominance that is destroying our fragile planet and its myriad lifeforms.

For those interested in applying culture jamming strategies to animal rights advocacy, please read my recent blog post entitled Pranking the Monkey: What The Yes Men can teach animal activists. I also encourage anyone interested in potentially collaborating on animal rights projects inspired by this unorthodox but highly effective form of activism to contact me.

Mat Thomaswww.animalrighter.org