IndiaDivine.org

vegan catfood

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Does anyone know where to buy vegan 'wet' catfood? I checked at Rainbow - they

don't carry one.

Any advice to switching them over to vegan is welcome. ANy health concerns?

Thanks Pam

I had my girls on vegan cat food for just over a year and then Bella got s bladder stone. That was the end of the vegan cat food for them.Sent from my iPhoneOn Aug 13, 2009, at 10:13 PM, "spider5259" <shepherdpr wrote:

Does anyone know where to buy vegan 'wet' catfood? I checked at Rainbow - they don't carry one.

Any advice to switching them over to vegan is welcome. ANy health concerns?

Thanks Pam

yah, dana's little kitty isn't the only cat to experience that sort of thing. thing is, cat's are carnivores.

there's a whole book on the subject of raising cats as vegans, but...well, let's just say the funding of

the book brings its accuracy into question.

as much as we've learned about nutrition in the recent past (from the perspective of the lifetime of the

sciences), it is still a blossoming field of study.

i know there are those who raise there cats vegan, and say they have had no problems with it...at least

for a while. however, the science of substituting synthetics into the diet of any creature -- including us

humans, for that matter -- is far beyond us at this point in our scientific understanding of how nutrition

works within our bodies.

to suggest for humans to eat whole plant foods on one hand (which i make a point of doing myself)

cuz it's the best source of nutrition, yet simultaneously suggest to raise cats as vegans based on

a scientifically unfounded hypothesis that it is possible, i.e. a philosophy, is...well, in my opinion,

an intrinisicly contradictory and irresponsible act for those taking care of their feline companions.

no offense is meant to those doing so, as i can relate to wishing it were possible, being a vegan and all. < =

in fact, i imagine it IS possible...just not yet.

raising DOGS vegan, on the other hand...is another story. but, they are omnivores.

~will^iii

========================== ==== ==== ==== ==

============== ==== ================ ==== ==

======== ========== ========== ========== ==

me = (pythagorean + beans).

"I observed, sir, the contempt denoted by your manner of enunciating the word abolitionists;

but this does not affect me."

~ The Yankee Slave-Dealer; or, An Abolitionist Down South. A Tale for the Times by "A Texan."

Dana Portnoy <dportno1spider5259 <shepherdprCc: Friday, August 14, 2009 9:02:51 AMRe: vegan catfood

I had my girls on vegan cat food for just over a year and then Bella got s bladder stone. That was the end of the vegan cat food for them.Sent from my iPhone

On Aug 13, 2009, at 10:13 PM, "spider5259" <shepherdpr (AT) hotmail (DOT) com> wrote:

Does anyone know where to buy vegan 'wet' catfood? I checked at Rainbow - they don't carry one.Any advice to switching them over to vegan is welcome. ANy health concerns?Thanks Pam

I have to agree with this.  Cats are members of the, well, the cat family.  Like lions and tigers, they instinctively hunt (as anyone with a cat knows) and most toys for cats are based on their inborn need to hunt.  They are, as William says, obligate carnivores (they have no grinding teeth, all their teeth are sharp and pointy, they have the short digestive tracts of a carnivore), evolved to eat animals.  Them unfortunately is the facts.  So we bring them in our homes and it is very difficult, because as vegans we hate buying dead animals. 

Wysong *claims* they have free range animals in their food and so does some Newman's Organics.  Of course, we all know this means a great deal of cruelty, but it is better than the others (I think).  Actually, I have been reading that plant-based kibble is terrible for cats health, done for owner's convenience, and I have my little guy on a grain-free diet. 

I know this is a controversial and difficult subject.  If you do put your cat on a vegan diet, of course give it a lot of thought, because the diet will be lacking essential components (especially taurine, only found in food made from dead animals, and cats will go blind without it). 

Stephanie 

On 8/14/09, William Beazley <wbeazleyiii wrote:

yah, dana's little kitty isn't the only cat to experience that sort of thing.  thing is, cat's are carnivores. 

there's a whole book on the subject of raising cats as vegans, but...well, let's just say the funding of

the book brings its accuracy into question. 

as much as we've learned about nutrition in the recent past (from the perspective of the lifetime of the

i know there are those who raise there cats vegan, and say they have had no problems with it...at least

for a while.  however, the science of substituting synthetics into the diet of any creature -- including us

humans, for that matter -- is far beyond us at this point in our scientific understanding of how nutrition

works within our bodies. 

to suggest for humans to eat whole plant foods on one hand (which i make a point of doing myself)

cuz it's the best source of nutrition, yet simultaneously suggest to raise cats as vegans based on

a scientifically unfounded hypothesis that it is possible, i.e. a philosophy,  is...well, in my opinion,

an intrinisicly contradictory and irresponsible act for those taking care of their feline companions.

no offense is meant to those doing so, as i can relate to wishing it were possible, being a vegan and all.  < =

raising DOGS vegan, on the other hand...is another story.  but, they are omnivores.

~will^iii   

" I observed, sir, the contempt denoted by your manner of enunciating the word abolitionists;

but this does not affect me. "

~  The Yankee Slave-Dealer; or, An Abolitionist Down South. A Tale for the Times by " A Texan. "

Dana Portnoy <dportno1spider5259 <shepherdpr

Cc: " "

Friday, August 14, 2009 9:02:51 AMRe: vegan catfood 

I had my girls on vegan cat food for just over a year and then Bella got s bladder stone. That was the end of the vegan cat food for them.Sent from my iPhone

On Aug 13, 2009, at 10:13 PM, " spider5259 " <shepherdpr (AT) hotmail (DOT) com> wrote:

Does anyone know where to buy vegan 'wet' catfood? I checked at Rainbow - they don't carry one.Any advice to switching them over to vegan is welcome. ANy health concerns?Thanks Pam

-- " Our task must be to widen our circle of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature in its beauty. "   Albert Einstein

" The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the ways its animals are treated. "    Mahatma Gandhi

> Wysong *claims* they have free range animals in their food and so does

> some Newman's Organics.

As does " Organix. "

--Zack

_

Zack Subin

PhD Student, UC Berkeley Energy & Resources Group

subin / subin / zack.subin

I understand the dilemma faced by any vegan with carnivorous companion

animals, and this is among the many reasons I've chosen not to have any

in my home. I'm going to agree with Stephanie and WIll and add one other comment. I often hear the word "speciesism" pop up in discussions about veganism and animal rights. By forcing a vegan diet onto a cat, would that not be another way of practicing speciesism? Just as humans are physiologically suited to a plant based diet, cats are physiologically suited to an animal based diet. By denying cats their natural diet and imposing our own diet on them, aren't we practicing a form of cruelty?-RobS Falcone <bekindbecause Sent:

Friday, August 14, 2009 3:48:48 PMRe: vegan catfood

I have to agree with this. Cats are members of the, well, the cat family. Like lions and tigers, they instinctively hunt (as anyone with a cat knows) and most toys for cats are based on their inborn need to hunt. They are, as William says, obligate carnivores (they have no grinding teeth, all their teeth are sharp and pointy, they have the short digestive tracts of a carnivore), evolved to eat animals. Them unfortunately is the facts. So we bring them in our homes and it is very difficult, because as vegans we hate buying dead animals.

Wysong *claims* they have free range animals in their food and so does some Newman's Organics. Of course, we all know this means a great deal of cruelty, but it is better than the others (I think). Actually, I have been reading that plant-based kibble is terrible for cats health, done for owner's convenience, and I have my little guy on a grain-free diet.

I know this is a controversial and difficult subject. If you do put your cat on a vegan diet, of course give it a lot of thought, because the diet will be lacking essential components (especially taurine, only found in food made from dead animals, and cats will go blind without it).

Stephanie

On 8/14/09, William Beazley <wbeazleyiii@ > wrote:

yah, dana's little kitty isn't the only cat to experience that sort of thing. thing is, cat's are carnivores.

there's a whole book on the subject of raising cats as vegans, but...well, let's just say the funding of

as much as we've learned about nutrition in the recent past (from the perspective of the lifetime of the

for a while. however, the science of substituting synthetics into the diet of any creature -- including us

works within our bodies.

cuz it's the best source of nutrition, yet simultaneously suggest to raise cats as vegans based on

a scientifically unfounded hypothesis that it is possible, i.e. a philosophy, is...well, in my opinion,

an intrinisicly contradictory and irresponsible act for those taking care of their feline companions.

no offense is meant to those doing so, as i can relate to wishing it were possible, being a vegan and all. < =

raising DOGS vegan, on the other hand...is another story. but, they are omnivores.

~will^iii

you know, i'd say that many people who go vegan already had feline companions before hand.

just as a couple of rather staunch vegans for whom this is the case, my girlfriend and I take care

of a cat whom she took into her care long before she became vegan.

another case in point are the "vegan freaks," bob and jenna torres, from the vegan freaks podcast,

etc. (AWEsome podcast, by the way). they, too, care for a cat who was a member of their family

before they went vegan.

from my point of view, it's a bit of an unfortunate situation all together that humans have bread animals

into existence that depend on them to survive. still, given this to be a fact, we must do the responsible

thing: take care of them, yet attempt to stop having any more of them...being born.

in the mean time, the same responsibility is upon those of us who've gone vegan before adopting

a cat into our lives.

~will

"I observed, sir, the contempt denoted by your manner of enunciating the word abolitionists;

~ The Yankee Slave-Dealer; or, An Abolitionist Down South. A Tale for the Times by "A Texan."

S Falcone <bekindbecause Friday, August 14, 2009 3:48:48 PMRe: vegan catfood

I have to agree with this. Cats are members of the, well, the cat family. Like lions and tigers, they instinctively hunt (as anyone with a cat knows) and most toys for cats are based on their inborn need to hunt. They are, as William says, obligate carnivores (they have no grinding teeth, all their teeth are sharp and pointy, they have the short digestive tracts of a carnivore), evolved to eat animals. Them unfortunately is the facts. So we bring them in our homes and it is very difficult, because as vegans we hate buying dead animals.

Wysong *claims* they have free range animals in their food and so does some Newman's Organics. Of course, we all know this means a great deal of cruelty, but it is better than the others (I think). Actually, I have been reading that plant-based kibble is terrible for cats health, done for owner's convenience, and I have my little guy on a grain-free diet.

I know this is a controversial and difficult subject. If you do put your cat on a vegan diet, of course give it a lot of thought, because the diet will be lacking essential components (especially taurine, only found in food made from dead animals, and cats will go blind without it).

Stephanie

works within our bodies.

~will^iii

============ ========= ===== ==== ==== ==== ==

============ == ==== ============ ==== ==== ==

Dana Portnoy <dportno1 >spider5259 <shepherdpr (AT) hotmail (DOT) com>Cc: "@ .com" <@ .com>Friday, August 14, 2009 9:02:51 AMRe: vegan catfood

On Aug 13, 2009, at 10:13 PM, "spider5259" <shepherdpr (AT) hotmail (DOT) com> wrote:

-- "Our task must be to widen our circle of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature in its beauty." Albert Einstein"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the ways its animals are treated." Mahatma Gandhi

No new animals are killed for cat food. The parts of the animals that humans do not eat are used: the scraps. If we all contribute by helping with trap neuter return and adopting homeless cats, we can gradually reduce the population in a humane manner. As humans eat less meat and cat overpopulation is humanely reduced with spay-neuter, the meat industry can also phase out. More animal suffering is caused by denying homes to cats which die and suffer in the streets or in shelters thanks to humans.

--- On Fri, 8/14/09, soy boy <soyboyincali wrote:

soy boy <soyboyincaliRe: vegan catfood"S Falcone" <bekindbecause, "" Friday, August 14, 2009, 9:36 PM

I understand the dilemma faced by any vegan with carnivorous companion animals, and this is among the many reasons I've chosen not to have any in my home. I'm going to agree with Stephanie and WIll and add one other comment. I often hear the word "speciesism" pop up in discussions about veganism and animal rights. By forcing a vegan diet onto a cat, would that not be another way of practicing speciesism? Just as humans are physiologically suited to a plant based diet, cats are physiologically suited to an animal based diet. By denying cats their natural diet and imposing our own diet on them, aren't we practicing a form of cruelty?-Rob

S Falcone <bekindbecause@ gmail.com> <@ .com>Friday, August 14, 2009 3:48:48 PMRe: vegan catfood

Stephanie

works within our bodies.

~will^iii