IndiaDivine.org

Taurine in vegan cat food

Rate this topic

Guest guest

They now have a veggie source for taurine so vegan food should be fine.-- Judith Gottesman, MSW, MatchmakerSoul Mates Unlimited TM - Personalized Matchmakingwww.soulmatesunlimited.com

510.418.8813, cell

To Judith and the SF Bay Veg List,

I have had pets all my adult life, including my current cat who is 16 years old, and I became a vegan five years ago. I immediately made my two dogs vegans and they have thrived and love their vegan dog food. I investigated vegan cat food, but my friend, Eric, told me that he and his roommates added Taurine to vegan cat food, but their cat still went blind. What a terrible thing. I feel very sad buying conventional, meat-filled cat food, but I am afraid about the consequences to my cat, who trusts me to care for her properly.

Bonnie Knight, San Francisco

In a message dated 8/16/2009 10:39:36 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time, judithrachelleg writes:

They now have a veggie source for taurine so vegan food should be fine.-- Judith Gottesman, MSW, MatchmakerSoul Mates Unlimited TM - Personalized Matchmakingwww.soulmatesunlimited.com510.418.8813, cell

Judith,The evolution cat food that my cats were eating did have synthetic taurine, yet my Bella still developed a bladder stone. From what I've read, that along with other urinary issues are quite common (more so in males) when using vegan cat food.Took over a year for the problem to develop, but it develop and since moving to Newman's Own (following a rather expensive surgery and multiple tests) all issues have cleared up.DanaSent from my iPhoneOn Aug 15, 2009, at 11:27 PM, Judith Gottesman <judithrachelleg wrote:

They now have a veggie source for taurine so vegan food should be fine.-- Judith Gottesman, MSW, MatchmakerSoul Mates Unlimited TM - Personalized Matchmakingwww.soulmatesunlimited.com

510.418.8813, cell