IndiaDivine.org

PETA bashing - a whale of an idea

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Hi all

I've been reading some of the recent posts. And, you know what .. while I may not agree with everything that PETA does or how they do it, I think the real problem isn't with PETA. It's with us.

First, there are over 1,200 people on this list. We're not all going to agree on everything.

Second, if every person on this list, if every person who belongs to some veg social networking group (facebook, meetup, twitter, etc) took all that same time and energy and applied it towards outreach, maybe, just maybe, we would have a groundswell of grassroots outreach and we would all be too busy with our own work to care what some other group is doing.

Yes, I know it does take some effort to be an armchair critic and to send these witty and well-crafted opinions to the list, which are entertaining and sometimes educational. But the real opportunity that most people miss is to walk their talk and be active in promoting veg*nism in the manner which they find appropriate.

I don't understand why people spend so much time complaining about how other individuals or groups do their advocacy, instead of using that same time and energy to focus on their own advocacy.

Anyways, all the complaints about PETA's billboard gave me an idea: What I would love to see is your brilliant message for a billboard. Once you've designed it, arranged funding, and secured a location, you're all set for your own veg billboard. Please let the rest of us on the list know when its done. And, hey, maybe if it's a really great idea, BAVeg would even give you some funding towards it ...

If you disagree with what I've said, that just proves my point - we won't all agree on everything.

Cheers,

Tammy

Thanks, Tammy.

As I noted in a previous email to our group, we know what we need to do, and we can use our energy for education and outreach. If we rely on organizations (which do offer us valuable resources) to speak and act for us, we are not using our power to create the change we seek.

I'd like to see more animal rights activists and vegans connecting with people in public places. There are many opportunities to leaflet, speak out and educate and for animals. And it is very rewarding.

Freedom and peace for all,

Claire

"Tammy, BAVeg" <tammyBAV mail list Wednesday, September 2, 2009 10:17:01 PM PETA bashing - a whale of an idea

Hi all

I've been reading some of the recent posts. And, you know what .. while I may not agree with everything that PETA does or how they do it, I think the real problem isn't with PETA. It's with us.

First, there are over 1,200 people on this list. We're not all going to agree on everything.

Second, if every person on this list, if every person who belongs to some veg social networking group (facebook, meetup, twitter, etc) took all that same time and energy and applied it towards outreach, maybe, just maybe, we would have a groundswell of grassroots outreach and we would all be too busy with our own work to care what some other group is doing.

Yes, I know it does take some effort to be an armchair critic and to send these witty and well-crafted opinions to the list, which are entertaining and sometimes educational. But the real opportunity that most people miss is to walk their talk and be active in promoting veg*nism in the manner which they find appropriate.

I don't understand why people spend so much time complaining about how other individuals or groups do their advocacy, instead of using that same time and energy to focus on their own advocacy.

Anyways, all the complaints about PETA's billboard gave me an idea: What I would love to see is your brilliant message for a billboard. Once you've designed it, arranged funding, and secured a location, you're all set for your own veg billboard. Please let the rest of us on the list know when its done. And, hey, maybe if it's a really great idea, BAVeg would even give you some funding towards it ...

If you disagree with what I've said, that just proves my point - we won't all agree on everything.

Cheers,

Tammy

I think healthy debate is a whale of an idea that should be encouraged. I believe the posts on the PETA issue have been informed and educational. Some of the most active vegans have posted informative and heartfelt views and information on both sides. Healthy debate keeps people informed and inspired and can make people better activists. Inviting and encouraging people to join leafletting campaigns can be a great way to get the word out, but people do choose all different ways of promoting veganism. Some promote on a daily basis through their work, their school, their writing, their researching, etc. All should be valued, and all are important ways of promoting the cause: in fact internet (armchair) activism can reach thousands of people with a click of a button.

Thu, 9/3/09, Tammy, BAVeg <tammy wrote:

Tammy, BAVeg <tammy PETA bashing - a whale of an idea"BAV mail list" Thursday, September 3, 2009, 1:17 AM

Hi all

Cheers,

Tammy

I have been a member of PETA for many years. I give money to the organization because I oppose animal cruelty, not because it fights obesity, takes on the tobacco industry, opposes assault rifles or seeks to legalize marijuana and gay marriage. While I support all of these causes, I give to PETA because I am against cruelty to animals. I have been a vegetarian for more than a decade, but, again, I do not donate to PETA because I want the organization to focus its attention on an anti-fat vegan lifestyle. I give to the organization because I want it to continue to focus its money and its efforts on exposing and irradiating cruelty to animals.

If PETA wants to branch out into the war on obesity or the war on smoking or the war on drugs, I will take my money elsewhere. In fact, I am considering doing so after I saw the billboard on a link someone at posted.

My advice to PETA is that it should clean house before it becomes a spokesperson for an anti-fat vegan lifestyle. Bill Maher, who is on its board, is neither a vegan nor a vegetarian. He is a meat eater, something I have heard him broadcast on his show on HBO. Perhaps PETA should consider removing him from his post. Afterall, Bill Maher is a spokesperson for PETA, which promotes a vegan lifestyle, yet he is not a vegan, not even a vegetarian, but someone who openly talks about eating meat. But PETA is in many ways a hypocrite, and wouldn't dare criticize or cut a Hollywood benefactor. No, it's easier to go after fat people.

Several years ago I contacted PETA to protest its "membership" policy. I had given the organization some $150 the year before, and I received a membership renewal stating that I must give $150 or more to continue my membership in the organization. I looked on the web, and membership dues were $15. Why, I asked, was I being charged $150 to renew my membership? I was told that it's the organization's policy that people must meet or exceed their previous year's donation if they want to continue membership. I cancelled my membership, and did not give for many years.

PETA is often capricious and arbitrary in its polices, and I believe it's time for new direction and new leadership within the organization.

Just my two cents.

Jamie Sanchez

I think it's time to end the PETA bashing and concentrate our energy towards ending the human consumption of other animals.

Claire

"BeingIrish" <BeingIrish Sent: Monday, September 7, 2009 7:18:54 AMRe: PETA bashing - a whale of an idea

I have been a member of PETA for many years. I give money to the organization because I oppose animal cruelty, not because it fights obesity, takes on the tobacco industry, opposes assault rifles or seeks to legalize marijuana and gay marriage. While I support all of these causes, I give to PETA because I am against cruelty to animals.. I have been a vegetarian for more than a decade, but, again, I do not donate to PETA because I want the organization to focus its attention on an anti-fat vegan lifestyle. I give to the organization because I want it to continue to focus its money and its efforts on exposing and irradiating cruelty to animals.If PETA wants to branch out into the war on obesity or the war on smoking or the war on drugs, I will take my money elsewhere. In fact, I am considering doing so after I saw the

billboard on a link someone at posted.My advice to PETA is that it should clean house before it becomes a spokesperson for an anti-fat vegan lifestyle. Bill Maher, who is on its board, is neither a vegan nor a vegetarian. He is a meat eater, something I have heard him broadcast on his show on HBO. Perhaps PETA should consider removing him from his post. Afterall, Bill Maher is a spokesperson for PETA, which promotes a vegan lifestyle, yet he is not a vegan, not even a vegetarian, but someone who openly talks about eating meat. But PETA is in many ways a hypocrite, and wouldn't dare criticize or cut a Hollywood benefactor.. No, it's easier to go after fat people.Several years ago I contacted PETA to protest its "membership" policy. I had given the organization some $150 the year before, and I received a membership renewal stating that I must give $150 or more to continue my membership in

the organization. I looked on the web, and membership dues were $15. Why, I asked, was I being charged $150 to renew my membership? I was told that it's the organization' s policy that people must meet or exceed their previous year's donation if they want to continue membership. I cancelled my membership, and did not give for many years. PETA is often capricious and arbitrary in its polices, and I believe it's time for new direction and new leadership within the organization.Just my two cents.Jamie Sanchez

Beth: "Some of the most active vegans have posted informative and heartfelt views"

Active in bashing PETA? Or did you mean active in organizing outreach events? We don't think there is an overlap in those 2 groups. The people that we see posting to bash PETA spend more time bashing PETA than organizing outreach activities for the public. Bashing PETA is not our definition of an armchair activist, it's being an armchair critic.

Jamie: "My advice to PETA...."

More to the point -- this list is not run by PETA, it's not run for PETA, Ingrid is not reading this list. There is no value to bashing PETA on this list -- unless you have a hidden agenda of some sorts, i.e. a troll working for the CCF and your goal is to create dissension in the veg community and to sidetrack us from what we should be doing -- promoting veganism, not fighting within.

Claire: "I'd like to see more animal rights activists and vegans connecting with people in public places."

Yes! Instead of spending all this time and energy talking about another group's activities, plan your own or work with BAVeg and we'll support you in this! Also, not surprised to see not ONE response with a suggestion for a veg billboard from anyone on this list.

Don't just talk ... walk your talk ....

Any further posts bashing PETA or any other animal rights/veg group by name, or inference

That is not the purpose of this list. Speaking as the list owner, any further posts bashing animal rights/veg groups are off-topic. We have zero tolerance for activities that are destructive to the veg and animal rights community.

If you disagree with this, the instructions to are at the bottom of each message from the list.

Thank you

Tammy & Chris

List Owners