IndiaDivine.org

Food Assessment: Milk Mythology (casein, casomorphins, lactose intolerance (WAS: 60% adults can't consume milk)

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Hi Sunny and everyone,

I appreciate your sharing this link, and I'd like to correct the premise of the study/article, which is that the milk of other animals is food for humans. ALL humans are "lactose intolerant" after the age of weaning, and the only distinction is whether the level of reaction rises to a diagnosable level. Many people's vitality is so compromised that their system cannot produce the requisite symptoms.

More important, NO human body is designed to digest casein. This protein is found in the milk of all mammals, to my knowledge, and the quantity is directly related to the amount and rate of post-natal growth typical of each species. For example, cow's milk has an astronomical amount of casein, commensurate with growing a 65-pound calf at birth into a 400-pound cow one year later. In contrast, human mother's milk contains a much smaller proportion of casein, commensurate with growing an 7-8-pound baby into a 15-20-pound infant/toddler one year later.

When a human baby drinks cow's milk, the digestive system becomes congested, as human digestion cannot handle more than a tiny amount of casein. This remains true of all humans throughout their lives. What most people don't realize is that protein poisoning is the ... THE ... primary cause of most acute symptoms and many chronic and degenerative diseases. There's just no diagnosis for this, because it's what they are selling, not what they are healing.

Of additional consequence, human digestion of casein results in formation of homocysteine, the substance most highly correlated with heart disease in humans.

Also, digestion of casein results in intermediate substances called "casomorphins", casein-derived variants of morphine. That is, we are addicting our precious babies to opioids when we feed them the milk of other species, particularly cows.

Well, thought some might find this of interest. Best regards,Elchanan

sunny_outdoorsTuesday, September 01, 2009 9:46 AM Subject: 60% adults can't consume milk

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/science/2009-08-30-lactose-intolerance_N.htm?poe=HFMostPopular

that's a huge figure

I'm trying to get Fresh Choice to develop more vegan entrees... This week, they are offerring around 2 vegan soups

winnie

Strictly from a health perspective, T. Colin Campbell in his book The China Study discusses the correlation between casein (a milk protein) and cancer. I have known 2 vegetarians who have had cancer.

From an ethical perspective, so many reasons to not drink milk or otherwise consume it in by-products. One of my favorite stickers to wear when doing tabling is one that says "Got Pus?" Yeah, it's gross, but that's the whole point .... I guess you can say I'm lactose intolerant in my own way.

Tammy

My two cents, vegan-style .. - today or read it on GenerationV.org

On Thu, Sep 3, 2009 at 11:04 PM, Tammy, BAVeg <tammy wrote:

Strictly from a health perspective, T. Colin Campbell in his book The China Study discusses the correlation between casein (a milk protein) and cancer.  I have known 2 vegetarians who have had cancer.  

There are two problems (that I know of) with this book.

1) The human part of the evidence is based on the China study.  Lactose tolerance is most sparse in this population.  It is reasonable to expect that other adaptations for drinking milk would be equally sparse in this population.

2) The other part of the evidence is based on studies in mice.  The ability to digest milk is based on at least one gene, lactase, which has not yet even completed its selective sweep through the human population.  So it certainly was not present in the ancestor of rodents and primates.  In other words, we should not expect studies in mice to tell us anything about humans' ability to digest cow's milk.  Everything we know about how evolution works would lead us to expect that there may be other genes involved in digesting other components of cow's milk (e.g., casein) that are also sweeping through the human population.

So, generalizations like " NO human body is designed to digest casein " are ill-founded.  Rather, the evidence suggests that *some* human bodies may be adapted to digest casein, while others may not be.  I recommend the book _10,000 Years of Human Evolution_, which describes human adaptation to drinking cow's milk in particular.  

There may be good reasons not to drink milk (i.e., the mistreatment of cows), but spreading misinformation is not useful.--Ruchira 

From an ethical perspective, so many reasons to not drink milk or otherwise consume it in by-products.  One of my favorite stickers to wear when doing tabling is one that says " Got Pus? "   Yeah, it's gross, but that's the whole point .... I guess you can say I'm lactose intolerant in my own way. 

Tammy

My two cents, vegan-style .. - today or read it on GenerationV.org

I've seen a lot of " it is the case, " " it is not the case, " " it is

sometimes the case " statements made without references to scientific

studies. Instead of spouting off the latest views someone has read

from self-serving source, one should do some scholarly research to see

if there is data supporting their assertions,

monica