IndiaDivine.org

Boycotting Amazon for another reason: selling dogfighting and cockfighting mags

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Dear List,

Several years ago, I received an email encouraging me to boycott Amazon because they profit from the sale of dogfighting and cockfighting magazines. The classified ads in these magazines are a critical way for animal abusers to stay in contact with one another.

I wrote to Amazon and they sent me back a letter citing free speech as a reason for them to continue to profit from these horrendous publications. I used to shop there regularly. I have boycotted them for years and I wrote to tell them why.

Many moons ago, someone posted to this list that Amazon no longer has a "contact us" feature on the website and that it only accepts letters regarding an Amazon purchase with an invoice number. I am guessing that they received a lot of protest mail from animal people. So, I don't think there's any way to write to express dismay, but you can act by withholding your business!

The Humane Society has sued Amazon to stop selling cockfighting magazines, and Amazon's lawyers have countered that they have a constitutional right to sell them. I googled this issue and it appears that although the suit was filed two years ago, that it is not yet resolved.

Bonnie Knight, San Francisco

Hi Bonnie,Amazon does have a contact page, it just takes a little digging to find it. I did the digging and it's at https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/contact-us/general-questions.html?ie=UTF8 & nodeId=518316 & type=email & skip=true#csTop One thing I learned a long time ago is that a boycott is generally useless unless the target of the boycott knows why it's happening. If 10,000 people boycott a company without saying why, there's little if any impact, especially on a large company that wouldn't notice any difference in sales. If those same 10,000 people contact the company and explain why they're withholding their

business, it can lead to change. My biggest concern with contacting Amazon through their website is that these emails will be received by some underpaid customer service employee at the bottom of the totem pole who will simply delete emails of this nature. Unfortunately, Jeff Bezos' email address appears to be a highly guarded secret, and if anyone can do something, he would be that person. It's possible that emails sent to jeffb will be read by someone with more clout than the regular customer service department (according to what I read-not verified though), so if it's something that is important to you, send your message there as well.-Rob"Bonbonsf" <Bonbonsf Sent: Sat, October 31, 2009 11:30:24 PM Boycotting Amazon for another reason: selling dogfighting and cockfighting mags

Dear List,

Several years ago, I received an email encouraging me to boycott Amazon because they profit from the sale of dogfighting and cockfighting magazines. The classified ads in these magazines are a critical way for animal abusers to stay in contact with one another.

I wrote to Amazon and they sent me back a letter citing free speech as a reason for them to continue to profit from these horrendous publications. I used to shop there regularly. I have boycotted them for years and I wrote to tell them why.

Many moons ago, someone posted to this list that Amazon no longer has a "contact us" feature on the website and that it only accepts letters regarding an Amazon purchase with an invoice number. I am guessing that they received a lot of protest mail from animal people. So, I don't think there's any way to write to express dismay, but you can act by withholding your business!

The Humane Society has sued Amazon to stop selling cockfighting magazines, and Amazon's lawyers have countered that they have a constitutional right to sell them. I googled this issue and it appears that although the suit was filed two years ago, that it is not yet resolved.

Another way to act is to educate by writing a product review and giving the product a negative rating. Your review/rating may reach potential buyers of offensive materials. They may buy anyway, but at least they will have the facts about it. Claire

soy boy <soyboyincaliBonbonsf; Sent: Sun, November 1, 2009 10:00:17 AMRe: Boycotting Amazon for another reason: selling dogfighting and cockfighting mags

Hi Bonnie,Amazon does have a contact page, it just takes a little digging to find it. I did the digging and it's at https://www. amazon.com/ gp/help/contact- us/general- questions. html?ie=UTF8 & nodeId=518316 & type=email & skip=true#csTop One thing I learned a long time ago is that a boycott is generally useless unless the target of the boycott knows why it's happening. If 10,000 people boycott a company without saying why, there's little if any impact, especially on a large company that wouldn't notice any difference in sales. If those same 10,000 people contact the company and explain why they're withholding their business, it can lead to change. My biggest concern with contacting Amazon through their website is that these emails will be

received by some underpaid customer service employee at the bottom of the totem pole who will simply delete emails of this nature. Unfortunately, Jeff Bezos' email address appears to be a highly guarded secret, and if anyone can do something, he would be that person. It's possible that emails sent to jeffb (AT) amazon (DOT) com will be read by someone with more clout than the regular customer service department (according to what I read-not verified though), so if it's something that is important to you, send your message there as well.-Rob

"Bonbonsf (AT) aol (DOT) com" <Bonbonsf (AT) aol (DOT) com>@ .comSat, October 31, 2009 11:30:24 PM Boycotting Amazon for another reason: selling dogfighting and cockfighting mags

Dear List,