IndiaDivine.org

What are you eating for Thanksgiving?

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday of the year because I love the carb-centric, comfort food style of the vegan foods that I normally associate with Thanksgiving. I was at a work lunch on Wednesday (sidebar: they took us to Local Kitchen and Wine Merchant In SF, nothing marked vegan on the menu but they were able to make a couple of items without cheese or bacon to accomodate vegans; I had the funghi pizza ... it was good ... and it was vegan, and a free lunch, so I've got no complaints) and it came up .. what do I eat on Thanksgiving?

I told them I eat everything but the turkey :-) Truthfully, though, I celebrate Thanksgiving with other vegans so I don't have to deal with a "but" at Thanksgiving meal -- I eat everything on the table. I truly enjoy Thanksgiving for the vegan feast that it is, knowing at Christmas with my family, I will have the "but" in my holiday meal.....

So I'd love to hear from folks regarding:

-What are you eating for Thanksgiving?

-If you are celebrating Thanksgiving with non-vegans, how have you worked it out?

I am raising this topic as a discussion of what vegan foods people like to eat during holidays, and how we relate to our families at important meals. As not everyone celebrates "Thanksgiving" (as we have folks of all cultures and perspectives on the list), please feel welcome to respond to the above two questions framing it around a different holiday/family celebration (and if your extended family is entirely vegan and you don't have these issues, congratulations!)

I hosted our Food for Thought book club discussion* yesterday with Thanksgiving foods at my home and here is what we feasted on:

- Acorn squash with wild rice stuffing

- Tofurky roast & giblet gravy

- Mashed Potatoes

- Veggie Pate **

- Mashed Potatoes

- Couscous cranberry salad

- Pumpkin Pie

- Pumpkin Cookies (from fresh pumpkin!)

Cheers,

Tammy

* Our January selection is Ethics into Action, a biography of activist Henry Spira by Peter Singer. Email me for info.

** I made the Veggie Pate and it is one of my favorite dishes to do for Thanksgiving. It's supposed to be a served as a pate on crackers, but I serve it instead as a 'nut loaf' type of dish. Sunflower seeds give it a rich base, mixed with carrot, potato, celery, with Thanksgiving spices (sage, thyme, basil) and baked. If you have a food processor, cleaning the food processor is a harder job than making the dish. Makes a great sandwich filling, and also freezes well. Try it, the recipe is the last one on this page:

http://www.bayareaveg.org/ny/

Great post, Tammy!This year my husband and I will be doing the same thing we do every year - going to Millennium for their amazing feast!  For those of us who much prefer the eating to the cooking, it can't be beat.   I also have a longstanding tradition of pumpkin pie for breakfast the day after Thanksgiving, and this year I've ordered mine from In the Mood for Food who is offering a whole Thankgiving catering menu.  Good stuff:

http://philipgelb.blogspot.com/2009/11/thanksgiving-catering-menu.htmlNo matter what we all decide to eat, I hope that taking a minute or more for thanks is part of all our Thanksgivings.  We all have blessings, not the least of which is the ability to lessen the suffering of animals world wide by choosing to eat the foods for which our bodies are designed!

Thankfully,Sky

My mom and I REALLY need a good pumpkin pie recipe (among other recipes!). Last year the middle just wouldn't harden up. Got a good recipe? I will be the only vegan at this nearly 100% vegan feast for 18+ people (my mom and sis are veg) and we need to IMPRESS people.Brian GrupeNorthern California Outreach CoordinatorVegan OutreachPlease visit: www.adoptacollege.orgTo: From: tammyDate: Sun, 22 Nov 2009 09:53:00 -0800 What are you eating for Thanksgiving?

Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday of the year because I love the carb-centric, comfort food style of the vegan foods that I normally associate with Thanksgiving. I was at a work lunch on Wednesday (sidebar: they took us to Local Kitchen and Wine Merchant In SF, nothing marked vegan on the menu but they were able to make a couple of items without cheese or bacon to accomodate vegans; I had the funghi pizza ... it was good ... and it was vegan, and a free lunch, so I've got no complaints) and it came up .. what do I eat on Thanksgiving?

I told them I eat everything but the turkey :-) Truthfully, though, I celebrate Thanksgiving with other vegans so I don't have to deal with a "but" at Thanksgiving meal -- I eat everything on the table. I truly enjoy Thanksgiving for the vegan feast that it is, knowing at Christmas with my family, I will have the "but" in my holiday meal.....

-If you are celebrating Thanksgiving with non-vegans, how have you worked it out?

I am raising this topic as a discussion of what vegan foods people like to eat during holidays, and how we relate to our families at important meals. As not everyone celebrates "Thanksgiving" (as we have folks of all cultures and perspectives on the list), please feel welcome to respond to the above two questions framing it around a different holiday/family celebration (and if your extended family is entirely vegan and you don't have these issues, congratulations!)

I hosted our Food for Thought book club discussion* yesterday with Thanksgiving foods at my home and here is what we feasted on:

- Mashed Potatoes

- Veggie Pate **

- Mashed Potatoes

- Pumpkin Pie

Cheers,

Tammy

* Our January selection is Ethics into Action, a biography of activist Henry Spira by Peter Singer. Email me for info.

** I made the Veggie Pate and it is one of my favorite dishes to do for Thanksgiving. It's supposed to be a served as a pate on crackers, but I serve it instead as a 'nut loaf' type of dish. Sunflower seeds give it a rich base, mixed with carrot, potato, celery, with Thanksgiving spices (sage, thyme, basil) and baked. If you have a food processor, cleaning the food processor is a harder job than making the dish. Makes a great sandwich filling, and also freezes well. Try it, the recipe is the last one on this page:

Hotmail: Trusted email with Microsoft's powerful SPAM protection. Sign up now. Windows 7: I wanted simpler, now it's simpler. I'm a rock star.

Dear Brian and anyone else who would like a great Pumpkin Pie recipe,

Below is a Pumpkin Pie recipe that I have been making for years. It is very easy and delicious (I've had non-vegans rave about it!)

1 can (15 oz) pumpkin

2 T vanilla

1/2 container tofutti cream cheese

1 box mori-nu firm tofu

1/4 cup agave or rice syrup)

2 T pumpkin pie spice

Mix in a blender until smooth. Pour into a vegan graham cracker crust. Bake at 360 for one hour. Allow to cool before serving.If you like, you can top with vegan cool whip.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

Elaine

Brian Grupe <tricksfortrends

Bay Area Veg Group

Sun, Nov 22, 2009 10:34 am

Re: What are you eating for Thanksgiving?

My mom and I REALLY need a good pumpkin pie recipe (among other recipes!). Last year the middle just wouldn't harden up. Got a good recipe? I will be the only vegan at this nearly 100% vegan feast for 18+ people (my mom and sis are veg) and we need to IMPRESS people.

Brian Grupe

Northern California Outreach Coordinator

Vegan Outreach

Please visit: www.adoptacollege.org

tammy (AT) bayareaveg (DOT) org

Sun, 22 Nov 2009 09:53:00 -0800

What are you eating for Thanksgiving?

- Mashed Potatoes

- Veggie Pate **

- Mashed Potatoes

- Pumpkin Pie

Cheers,

Tammy

Hotmail: Trusted email with Microsoft's powerful SPAM protection. Sign up now.

Windows 7: I wanted simpler, now it's simpler. I'm a rock star.

, " Tammy " <tammy wrote:

> So I'd love to hear from folks regarding:

> -What are you eating for Thanksgiving?

> -If you are celebrating Thanksgiving with non-vegans, how have you

> worked it out?

I always go to my sister's, and I am the only vegan (or vegetarian) there. I

usually bring a slice of Tofurky with gravy and microwave it. I have a very

nice family, and they make most of the side dishes vegan so that I can eat them.

At times I've brought my own vegan pumpkin pie, but sometimes I don't because I

am usually too full for pie anyway.

Karen

Here you go!http://philipgelb.blogspot.com/2009/10/pumpkin-pie.htmlOn 2009-11-22, at 10:34 AM, Brian Grupe wrote:

My mom and I REALLY need a good pumpkin pie recipe (among other recipes!). Last year the middle just wouldn't harden up. Got a good recipe? I will be the only vegan at this nearly 100% vegan feast for 18+ people (my mom and sis are veg) and we need to IMPRESS people.Brian GrupeNorthern California Outreach CoordinatorVegan OutreachPlease visit: www.adoptacollege.orgTo: From: tammy (AT) bayareaveg (DOT) orgDate: Sun, 22 Nov 2009 09:53:00 -0800 What are you eating for Thanksgiving?

- Mashed Potatoes

- Veggie Pate **

- Mashed Potatoes

- Pumpkin Pie

Cheers,

Tammy

Hotmail: Trusted email with Microsoft's powerful SPAM protection. Sign up now. Windows 7: I wanted simpler, now it's simpler. I'm a rock star.

Sounds like my family, except one cousin's kid became a vegetarian a couple

years ago (I like to think my example helped a little). I'm usually so full

eating the mostly vegan appetizers and side dishes that I have no need for

dessert and have a hard time completely eating any special vegan main course my

Mom or aunt might have brought along just for me.

Greg

--- On Sun, 11/22/09, karen_ <karen wrote:

> I always go to my sister's, and I am the only vegan (or

> vegetarian) there. I usually bring a slice of Tofurky

> with gravy and microwave it. I have a very nice

> family, and they make most of the side dishes vegan so that

> I can eat them. At times I've brought my own vegan

> pumpkin pie, but sometimes I don't because I am usually too

> full for pie anyway.