IndiaDivine.org

I think leather is my only option- ugh. Read on.

Rate this topic

Guest guest

On Nov 27, 2009, at 9:12 AM, giegrrrl wrote:

> These shoes appear NOT to have any non-leather models.

>

> Advice? My inclination is to buy the leather and save my knee. After

> all, being vegan is about making the most compassionate choice.

>

> If I don't wear the cam walker, my foot fracture may not heel

> properly and I will endure years of nerve twinging, muscle and

> tendons aches, etc...

>

> If I use the cam walker and can't find proper shoes, I ruin my knee

> and hips.

>

My advice, see if you can find the shoes used on eBay. Used leather is

still leather, but at least it hasn't been made new for you. It's not

as good as buying vegan shoes, but used leather is at least a " less

bad " option.

Best of luck!

I would say the shoes are a medical necessity and make an exception in this case.--RuchiraOn Fri, Nov 27, 2009 at 9:12 AM, giegrrrl <giegrrrl wrote:

I broke my foot. My doctor put me in a Cam Walker (or Walking Boot).

The boot is almost 3 " off the ground. When I wear it with my current shoes (vegan), that makes one leg about 3 " shorter than the other and I'm blowing out my knee, my hips, etc...walking with one leg shorter than the other.

I have been looking for shoes to compensate for the 3 " height. I need an entire wedge, not just a high heel. The only shoes I have found that will support my other leg without destroying my knee are MBTs, Sketchers Shape-Ups and Easy Spirit Anti-Gravity.

I haven't bought any yet. I don't want to buy leather but I don't want to blow out my knees and hips at age 47 and end up tweeked for life.

These shoes appear NOT to have any non-leather models.

Advice? My inclination is to buy the leather and save my knee. After all, being vegan is about making the most compassionate choice.

If I don't wear the cam walker, my foot fracture may not heel properly and I will endure years of nerve twinging, muscle and tendons aches, etc...

If I use the cam walker and can't find proper shoes, I ruin my knee and hips.

What would you do?

Thanks,

Amy in Pacifica

Hi : )  Steve had good advice, but it sounds like U need this pretty quickly.  I know this will not be popular, but if you have to, buy leather shoes.

I have faced a similar dilemma.  It has been incredibly difficult to find the shoes I need (plantar fasciitis, fallen arch, must be supportive and accomodate orthotics,  E width) AT ALL, much less vegan shoes. 

At a talk in the spring Bruce Friedrich said something that has stayed with me (I'm paraphrasing):  it is more important to live compassionately and be a vegan as much as you can w/out driving yourself crazy,  than to really stress yourself about your prescription medicine (NONE are vegan, as all are tested on non-humans), etc.  IMO, it's more important to the animals that we have a functional vegan than amount you add to the suffering by buying one pair of shoes.    I know others will probably disagree. Good luck and I hope you can find something used!

Stephanie 

On 11/27/09, giegrrrl <giegrrrl wrote:

I broke my foot. My doctor put me in a Cam Walker (or Walking Boot).The boot is almost 3 " off the ground. When I wear it with my current shoes (vegan), that makes one leg about 3 " shorter than the other and I'm blowing out my knee, my hips, etc...walking with one leg shorter than the other.

I have been looking for shoes to compensate for the 3 " height. I need an entire wedge, not just a high heel. The only shoes I have found that will support my other leg without destroying my knee are MBTs, Sketchers Shape-Ups and Easy Spirit Anti-Gravity.

I haven't bought any yet. I don't want to buy leather but I don't want to blow out my knees and hips at age 47 and end up tweeked for life.These shoes appear NOT to have any non-leather models.

Advice? My inclination is to buy the leather and save my knee. After all, being vegan is about making the most compassionate choice.If I don't wear the cam walker, my foot fracture may not heel properly and I will endure years of nerve twinging, muscle and tendons aches, etc...

If I use the cam walker and can't find proper shoes, I ruin my knee and hips.What would you do?Thanks,Amy in Pacifica

-- " Our task must be to widen our circle of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature in its beauty. "   Albert Einstein

" The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the ways its animals are treated. "    Mahatma Gandhi

Hi Amy,

I lived in India in an ashram for some years as a monk and one of our

principles was to not wear any leather, so I understand something of how you

feel.

While you inquire about a specific moral issue which we vegetarians/vegans

often face, you reveal by your quandary and feelings of ambivalence, there are

also contextual considerations at stake.

First of all, any philosophy of life that demands unquestioning and

uncritical allegiance can become an ideology, or a recipe for dysfunctional and

undesirable consequences. Even a truth becomes another false dogma when

inappropriately understood or implemented.

The Buddha therefore recommended a Middle Path.

Of course, the wisdom to follow the most prudent path is precisely your question

at hand!

In the name of a middle path, many Buddhist monks accept whatever is placed in

their begging bowls, so they will eat meat if it is offered but the animal was

not slaughtered for them specifically. On the other hand, some Buddhist lineages

adhere to a strict vegetarian regimen, to the point of taking no onion or

garlic. Go figure.

The danger is that in the name of situational ethics we can excuse away taking

a firm stance on any moral issue. Being a morally upright person, however,

demands us to walk our talk, even if that means it is sometimes personally

inconvenient.

My advice: Take care of your health first and do what is necessary. You would

be a poor (if not a foolish) example for others if you became permanently

crippled because of some fanatical beliefs about being vegetarian and

animal-friendly.

My spiritual teacher once surprised us when he responded to a student's inquiry

about adjusting to illness. Instead of stressing spiritual duties or

meditation, he replied: "First take care of your health."

According to yogic philosophy, one of the first prequisites for a spiritual candidate is

to follow the least violent path (ahimsrena). Sometimes, there

are no good choices. In such cases, it becomes a matter of choosing the lesser

of two evils. That’s a reality of life.

We may entertain certain ideals; then in any particular situation, we have to do what is practical.

Our own conscience will be the guide.

Sri (Irvin Collins)--- On Fri, 11/27/09, giegrrrl <giegrrrl wrote:giegrrrl <giegrrrl I think leather is my only option- ugh. Read on. Date: Friday, November 27, 2009, 9:12 AM

I broke my foot. My doctor put me in a Cam Walker (or Walking Boot).

The boot is almost 3" off the ground. When I wear it with my current shoes (vegan), that makes one leg about 3" shorter than the other and I'm blowing out my knee, my hips, etc...walking with one leg shorter than the other.

I have been looking for shoes to compensate for the 3" height. I need an entire wedge, not just a high heel. The only shoes I have found that will support my other leg without destroying my knee are MBTs, Sketchers Shape-Ups and Easy Spirit Anti-Gravity.

I haven't bought any yet. I don't want to buy leather but I don't want to blow out my knees and hips at age 47 and end up tweeked for life.

These shoes appear NOT to have any non-leather models.

Advice? My inclination is to buy the leather and save my knee. After all, being vegan is about making the most compassionate choice.

If I don't wear the cam walker, my foot fracture may not heel properly and I will endure years of nerve twinging, muscle and tendons aches, etc...

If I use the cam walker and can't find proper shoes, I ruin my knee and hips.

What would you do?

Thanks,

Amy in Pacifica