IndiaDivine.org

New vegan restaurant opening 1/15 in Berkeley:

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Thanks for the update. The options keep expanding...There is a new place called Green Papaya Thai Vegetarian opening in downtown Berkeley soon. It looks like they're putting the finishing touches on it now.Maoz falafel restaurant is supposed to open on Telegraph Ave one of these months. It still has a long way to go.Greg--- On Tue, 12/1/09, Alex Bury <alexbury1 wrote:Alex Bury <alexbury1 New vegan restaurant opening 1/15 in Berkeley:"" Tuesday, December 1, 2009, 6:17 PM

http://www.natures-express.com/Yum! Alex

Oh, right! We walked by Green Papaya after the McCruelty protest last weekend. It does say "vegetarian" in nice big letters! Can't wait to try it, and Maoz. Vegetarianism is definitely taking over the world. :)AOn Dec 1, 2009, at 8:11 PM, Greg Smith wrote:Thanks for the update. The options keep expanding...There is a new place called Green Papaya Thai Vegetarian opening in downtown Berkeley soon. It looks like they're putting the finishing touches on it now.Maoz falafel restaurant is supposed to open on Telegraph Ave one of these months. It still has a long way to go.Greg--- On Tue, 12/1/09, Alex Bury <alexbury1 wrote:Alex Bury <alexbury1 New vegan restaurant opening 1/15 in Berkeley:"" Tuesday, December 1, 2009, 6:17 PMhttp://www.natures-express.com/Yum! Alex

I went to a branch of this restaurant in San Diego last winter. It was a

nice place, fun atmosphere, and tasty! Sort of like Smart Alec's on

Telegraph, near UC Berkeley, before they added meat to their menu years

ago (they still have some great food though...I love their thick tofu &

avocado sandwich!). It'll be a nice addition to the Bay Area.

Peace, Dan

Eco-Eating at www.brook.com/veg

The Vegetarian Mitzvah at www.brook.com/jveg

No Smoking? at www.brook.com/smoke

New vegan restaurant opening 1/15 in Berkeley:

</message/17664;_ylc=X3oDMTJyNnNzaW5pBF9TAz\

k3MzU5NzE1BGdycElkAzQwODM1MzYEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MDE1NDgyBG1zZ0lkAzE3NjY0BHNlYwNkbX\

NnBHNsawN2bXNnBHN0aW1lAzEyNTk3NjUzNDY->

>

>

> Posted by: " Alex Bury " alexbury1

>

<alexbury1?Subject=%20Re%3ANew%20vegan%20restaurant%20opening%2\

01%2F15%20in%20Berkeley%3A>

>

>

>

> Tue Dec 1, 2009 7:08 pm (PST)

>

> http://www.natures-express.com/ <http://www.natures-express.com/>

>

> Yum!

>

> Alex

Does anybody know what happened to the opening of Radiance in San Rafael? It was supposed to open in January of 09? I was really looking forward to having a vegetarian restaurant where they offer cooked food. Don't get me wrong, I love Cafe' Gratitude, but sometimes I just want my food warm and comforting, especially going into the winter season. Guess my midwest roots are showing.Speaking of raw, I went to see Simply Raw: Reversing Diabetes in 30 Days, at a showing in San Rafael, with a small, but influential group of folks in the veg community, i.e. chefs, health practitioners, animal advocates...etc. It was quite powerful. In the film, they take several folks with diabetes, put them on a raw foods diet for 30 days, in a controlled study, under the supervision of Gabriel Cousins. If you get a chance to see it, it was very well done. I think it would be very easy for people to watch and grasp, whether diabetic or not. It was persuasive, articulate and entertaining.Most of the folks they used in the study in this film were on your Standard American Diet (SAD). Lots of animal products, processed foods, soda, etc... So any diet was better then the one they were on. I was curious to know how much of a difference raw vs. vegan would make in such a situation but I was too shy and to slow to ask the producer of the movie afterwards. I did speak to a macrobiotic chef after the show however, and she said that she has a diabetic client that has been predominantly Macrobiotic for a period of time and although she's had measurable improvements in her health, when she started incorporating more raw food in her diet, she began to lose weight and of course, as a result, her health started improving yet even more so. In other words, you don't have to go completely raw to benefit from eating raw food. I prefer a moderate approach, so I was pleased to have my opinion validated, although it's only one example. Anyway, If you have a chance to see the film, it's worth seeing. I would encourage you to take a non-vegan friend or two, as it is non-threatening and again, very persuasive. Check it out online. It is available on DVD. Simply Raw: Reversing Diabetes in 30 Days5 min - Mar 5, 2009www.youtube.comI would like to add, that it is my experience, in the raw community the focus is typically on health. In the vegan community, it encapsulates all the benefits of eating non-animal food. And although health is a strong motivator to get started on the path of a plant-based diet, I think compassion for the animals and the environment is what makes it a life-long commitment for most folks. People seem receptive and curious about going Raw. It's new and trendy and effective but it rarely addresses the animal and environmental concerns. Vegan, on the other hand, has been around a long time with an implication that it's for tree hugging hippies that love animals and some people are not as receptive to that. Go figure? I often hear, "oh yeah, I was vegetarian in the 70's". As if it were a fashion statement of some sort. Or, "I eat mostly vegetarian, but not for the animal's sake". What's up with that? They declare it so as not to be mistaken, God forbid, as an animal lover.Anyway, I guess my point is that a raw food approach is a great way to get people interested and at some point, one would hope that they would be receptive to learning more about the other reasons to go vegan. It's nice when the two intertwine and it's great that we have organizations that support that possibility, such as Bay Area Veg, SF Veg Society, Marin VEG...etc. Syndee Collison, CPT, CNC1on1 Personal Health Solutions www.syndee1on1.com

Syndee,

I have a copy of Dr. Neal Barnard's book " Dr. Neal Barnard's Program for

Reversing Diabetes, " if you want to borrow it from me. He provides lots of

examples of patients who were able to reverse diabetes by following a vegan

diet. It's an excellent book.

http://pcrm.org/shop/neal/diabetes.html

Take care,

Rachel D.

San Francisco, CA

, Syndee Collison <syndee1on1 wrote:

> Most of the folks they used in the study in this film were on your

> Standard American Diet (SAD). Lots of animal products, processed

> foods, soda, etc... So any diet was better then the one they were on.

> I was curious to know how much of a difference raw vs. vegan would

> make in such a situation but I was too shy and to slow to ask the

> producer of the movie afterwards. I did speak to a macrobiotic chef

> after the show however, and she said that she has a diabetic client

> that has been predominantly Macrobiotic for a period of time and

> although she's had measurable improvements in her health, when she

> started incorporating more raw food in her diet, she began to lose

> weight and of course, as a result, her health started improving yet

> even more so. In other words, you don't have to go completely raw to

> benefit from eating raw food. I prefer a moderate approach, so I was

> pleased to have my opinion validated, although it's only one example.

>