IndiaDivine.org

Green Papaya rocks!

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Hey Everyone,

If anyone hasn't been to the new restaurant "Green Papaya" in Berkeley yet, I highly recommend you try it out. I went there today for lunch and it was delicious and very reasonably priced. I believe it is all vegan! Check it out! It's located at 2016 Shattuck Ave. Support veggie businesses so that they stay in business!!!

Warren

Warren,I agree 110%. I've already had both lunch and dinner there, everything was excellent so far. I expect to be back there before the week is over, as there are lots of interesting dishes beyond green/yellow/red curry and pad thai.I highly recommend folks check them out and then get their review in the Ultimate Guide at: http://bayareaveg.org/ug/display.htm?id=962Greg--- On Wed, 12/30/09, wgjii <wgjii wrote:wgjii <wgjii "Green Papaya" rocks! Date: Wednesday, December 30, 2009, 10:15 PMHey Everyone,

If anyone hasn't been to the new restaurant "Green Papaya" in Berkeley yet, I highly recommend you try it out. I went there today for lunch and it was delicious and very reasonably priced. I believe it is all vegan! Check it out! It's located at 2016 Shattuck Ave. Support veggie businesses so that they stay in business!!!

Warren

I'm looking forward to trying it! Early reviews look really good -

http://bayareaveg.org/ug/display.htm?id=962

An even better way to introduce more people to it -- and help get the word out -- maybe someone will organize a group dinner there?? We had a lovely group dinner at Merit just yesterday that Chris and I organized. We ate and talked and ate and talked, and then did the re-gift exchange. We even talked about Green Papaya (although none of us had been there yet so we couldn't say much)

Organizing a dinner at a restaurant is very straight-forward.

- pick a date and time

- write up the event and post to the list, and to the website calendar

- reply to RSVPs

- let the restaurant know how many to expect

- greet everyone at the dinner

- eat

I'm guessing that the time I spent at the actual dinner (about 2.5 hours) was probably more than the time that I spent doing all of the above. Just think how many events there would be if each person just organized one event in a year ... just one ... Maybe that could be a New Year's resolution to support BAVeg and the local veg community -- organize an event!

Cheers,

Tammy

Until he extends his circle of compassion to all living things, man will not himself find peace. - Albert Schweitzer

We've been there three times now, and I agree, it is wonderful.  It is vegan.  I will review it in the Ultimate Guide. They have all the standard Thai dishes along with some unusual ones (the daikon dish is delish).  Most of their food is mild, of course, but when they say something is spicy they mean it!  I'm used to " spicy " being " mild " at most Thai restaurants, but Green Papaya served a yummy yellow curry last week that was really hot.  Yum.

The place is clean and bright, the service is great.  Brown and white rice.  Beer and wine and Thai desserts, not the usual Black China cake (don't take that as an insult to Black China).  Fried bananas, roti with syrup, etc.  

AlexOn Wed, Dec 30, 2009 at 10:15 PM, <wgjii wrote:

Hey Everyone,

If anyone hasn't been to the new restaurant " Green Papaya " in Berkeley yet, I highly recommend you try it out. I went there today for lunch and it was delicious and very reasonably priced. I believe it is all vegan! Check it out! It's located at 2016 Shattuck Ave.  Support veggie businesses so that they stay in business!!!

Warren

My husband and I ate there yesterday for lunch...the food was quite good. We arrived in the middle of lunchtime and were sad to see so few patrons, as we were eating our meal many more patrons arrived. Friendly staff, interesting though somewhat predictable Thai menu. We ordered the Coconut soup and it was one of the best we have eaten (even in thailand). The daikon with bamboo shoots was my favorite, the pad thai had a good flavor, the peanut sauce was very good, the house brown rice was good, the fried taro and red beans was o.k., curry puffs were o.k., we will definitely be back soon. BarbaraAlex Bury <alexbury1Cc: Sent: Thu, December 31, 2009 11:20:53 AMRe: "Green Papaya" rocks!

We've been there three times now, and I agree, it is wonderful. It is vegan. I will review it in the Ultimate Guide. They have all the standard Thai dishes along with some unusual ones (the daikon dish is delish). Most of their food is mild, of course, but when they say something is spicy they mean it! I'm used to "spicy" being "mild" at most Thai restaurants, but Green Papaya served a yummy yellow curry last week that was really hot. Yum.

The place is clean and bright, the service is great. Brown and white rice. Beer and wine and Thai desserts, not the usual Black China cake (don't take that as an insult to Black China). Fried bananas, roti with syrup, etc.

AlexOn Wed, Dec 30, 2009 at 10:15 PM, <wgjii wrote:

Hey Everyone,

Warren