IndiaDivine.org

Supplementation: Vitamin D - D2 vs. D3

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Yes, Jack there are many such studies that show different results. The folks who built this web site chose to cite studies favorable to a position they wish to take. Ergo, this is not a stunning demonstration of academic integrity.

Also, please look at the studies they do cite ... they are all VERY short-term in nature. The steroidal effects of which I have written would not show up in those time frames.

There is more, no time now. I just encourage you and everyone not to confuse symptomatic relief with health. I mean, you can "knock out a fever", "get rid of a cold", "break a fever", or the like, but no such course of action will ever make you healthy.

Best,

Elchanan

Jack Norris [jacknorris]Friday, January 29, 2010 10:03 AM Subject: Vitamin D

The research I have seen (which is documented here: http://www.veganhealth.org/articles/bones/#d2d3) indicates that vitamin D2 does increase vitamin D levels comparable to vitamin D3, but that they last for shorter periods in the blood (about 3 days). So if you are relying on D2, you need to take it every day or every other day.

Also note that if you can’t get sunburned, your body probably isn’t making vitamin D. At this time of year in the Bay Area, only some people can get sunburned so the sun probably isn’t creating much vitamin D for the other people. Once March hits, though, almost everyone should be able to get vitamin D from the sun here.

Jack Norris, Registered Dietitian

Vegan Outreach

VeganOutreach.org

VeganHealth.org

I found it helpful to use the information from Dr. Fuhrman at http://www.drfuhrman.com/I think it is consistent with the science and all the other great "vegan" Doctors we know and love like Esselstyn, Goldhammer, Greger, Harris, McDougal, Klaper, Lyle etc... I don't think there is much controversy please let me know if you think the "Osteo-Sun" is not the best vegan form of Vitamin D to take when/if necessary, I can always change.thanks SamSam Halsey415 309 1879On Jan 29, 2010, at 11:31 AM, Elchanan wrote:Yes, Jack there are many such studies that show different results. The folks who built this web site chose to cite studies favorable to a position they wish to take. Ergo, this is not a stunning demonstration of academic integrity. Also, please look at the studies they do cite ... they are all VERY short-term in nature. The steroidal effects of which I have written would not show up in those time frames. There is more, no time now. I just encourage you and everyone not to confuse symptomatic relief with health. I mean, you can "knock out a fever", "get rid of a cold", "break a fever", or the like, but no such course of action will ever make you healthy. Best,ElchananJack Norris [jacknorris (AT) spamarrest (DOT) com]Friday, January 29, 2010 10:03 AM Vitamin D The research I have seen (which is documented here: http://www.veganhealth.org/articles/bones/#d2d3) indicates that vitamin D2 does increase vitamin D levels comparable to vitamin D3, but that they last for shorter periods in the blood (about 3 days). So if you are relying on D2, you need to take it every day or every other day. Also note that if you can’t get sunburned, your body probably isn’t making vitamin D. At this time of year in the Bay Area, only some people can get sunburned so the sun probably isn’t creating much vitamin D for the other people. Once March hits, though, almost everyone should be able to get vitamin D from the sun here. Jack Norris, Registered DietitianVegan OutreachVeganOutreach.orgVeganHealth.org

Hi Sam,

I would simply point out that, with the quasi-exception of Dr. Esselstyn, none of these people are scientists. They are all practitioners, all having something to peddle. When I speak of the science behind vitamin D, I'm referring to the underlying biochemistry and to the long-term studies. And not one of these practitioners, to my knowledge, has any such involvement. Again, Dr. Esselstyn may be the one exception in your list.

So, what I'm suggesting is that you are looking in the wrong places, listening to the wrong resources.

Best,

Elchanan

Halsey SamFriday, January 29, 2010 2:07 PMElchananCc: Subject: Re: Supplementation: Vitamin D - D2 vs. D3

I found it helpful to use the information from Dr. Fuhrman at http://www.drfuhrman.com/

I think it is consistent with the science and all the other great "vegan" Doctors we know and love like Esselstyn, Goldhammer, Greger, Harris, McDougal, Klaper, Lyle etc...

I don't think there is much controversy please let me know if you think the "Osteo-Sun" is not the best vegan form of Vitamin D to take when/if necessary, I can always change.

thanks

Sam

Sam Halsey

415 309 1879