IndiaDivine.org

Follow Your Heart/Fellini's vegan cheese question

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Hi all,Has anyone ordered vegan cheese on their Fellini's pizzas recently? I went there the other night and was shocked by how stringy the "vegan" cheese was. The really clueless server (who messed up pretty much everything else in our order) swore up and down that it was Follow Your Heart. If this is the case, did FYH recently reformulate their "cheese" to make it shockingly similar to dairy cheese? I know Daiya is more dairy-like in its texture but, if memory serves, FYH is mostly just a blob of congealed oil when melted. My boyfriend and I did not get sick after eating the pizza, so I'm guessing it was FYH as promised. However, he thinks we would probably be okay with dairy because we used to eat it and are probably still able to digest lactose; we frequently eat soy yogurt so our

stomachs have plenty of lactose-loving bacteria. I'm not trying to spread false rumors about Fellini or Follow Your Heart. I'm just curious if there's either been a huge change in the FYH cheese line, or if Fellini is doing something drastically different to make their vegan cheese pizzas taste and look like dairy cheese.Thanks,Louisa

> Has anyone ordered vegan cheese on their Fellini's pizzas recently? I went there the other night and was shocked by how stringy the "vegan" cheese was.

What I find works well with restaurants is to validate the same information with multiple people. So perhaps if you call them up and ask what kind of vegan cheese they use on their pizza, you'll hopefully get the information and can report back ... I know the owner who started the restaurant sold it a couple of years ago ..

Whenever we use FYH to make pizza at home, we always put it on broil for a few minutes to help it get more melty.

Cheers,

Tammy

Join us at an upcoming Bay Area Vegetarians event!

03/13 Food for Thought Book Club: Slaughterhouse by Gail Eisnitz - Berkeley 03/27 Secrets of Vegan Baking: The Chocolate Trio - San Mateo 04/24 Secrets of Vegan Baking: Berry Sweets - San Mateo

Say it your way .. with an Ultimate Guide Review

On Behalf Of LouisaSunday, February 28, 2010 12:38 PMBay Area Vegetarians Follow Your Heart/Fellini's "vegan" cheese question

Hi all,

Has anyone ordered vegan cheese on their Fellini's pizzas recently? I went there the other night and was shocked by how stringy the "vegan" cheese was. The really clueless server (who messed up pretty much everything else in our order) swore up and down that it was Follow Your Heart. If this is the case, did FYH recently reformulate their "cheese" to make it shockingly similar to dairy cheese? I know Daiya is more dairy-like in its texture but, if memory serves, FYH is mostly just a blob of congealed oil when melted.

My boyfriend and I did not get sick after eating the pizza, so I'm guessing it was FYH as promised. However, he thinks we would probably be okay with dairy because we used to eat it and are probably still able to digest lactose; we frequently eat soy yogurt so our stomachs have plenty of lactose-loving bacteria.

I'm not trying to spread false rumors about Fellini or Follow Your Heart. I'm just curious if there's either been a huge change in the FYH cheese line, or if Fellini is doing something drastically different to make their vegan cheese pizzas taste and look like dairy cheese.

Thanks,

Louisa

Guest guest

I had the " vegan " cheese at Fellini, its definitely not real cheese. I'm not really sure what brand it is or if they make their own vegan cheese. I agree with Tammy, ask multiple people the same information or if you go there again just ask them if you can see the packaging. Just act clueless and throw out some compliments and say that you never heard of it before and you just want to know what the packaging looks like so that you can spot it in the store.

-NatashaOn Sun, Feb 28, 2010 at 5:46 PM, Tammy <tammy wrote:

> Has anyone ordered vegan cheese on their Fellini's pizzas recently? I went there the other night and was shocked by how stringy the " vegan " cheese was.  

What I find works well with restaurants is to validate the same information with multiple people.  So perhaps if you call them up and ask what kind of vegan cheese they use on their pizza, you'll hopefully get the information and can report back ... I know the owner who started the restaurant sold it a couple of years ago ..

Whenever we use FYH to make pizza at home, we always put it on broil for a few minutes to help it get more melty.

Cheers,

Tammy

Join us at an upcoming Bay Area Vegetarians event!

03/13 Food for Thought Book Club: Slaughterhouse by Gail Eisnitz - Berkeley

03/27 Secrets of Vegan Baking: The Chocolate Trio - San Mateo

04/24 Secrets of Vegan Baking: Berry Sweets - San Mateo

Say it your way .. with an Ultimate Guide Review

On Behalf Of LouisaSunday, February 28, 2010 12:38 PMBay Area Vegetarians Follow Your Heart/Fellini's " vegan " cheese question

Hi all,

Has anyone ordered vegan cheese on their Fellini's pizzas recently? I went there the other night and was shocked by how stringy the " vegan " cheese was.  The really clueless server (who messed up pretty much everything else in our order) swore up and down that it was Follow Your Heart.  If this is the case, did FYH recently reformulate their " cheese " to make it shockingly similar to dairy cheese?  I know Daiya is more dairy-like in its texture but, if memory serves, FYH is mostly just a blob of congealed oil when melted.  

My boyfriend and I did not get sick after eating the pizza, so I'm guessing it was FYH as promised.  However, he thinks we would probably be okay with dairy because we used to eat it and are probably still able to digest lactose; we frequently eat soy yogurt so our stomachs have plenty of lactose-loving bacteria.  

I'm not trying to spread false rumors about Fellini or Follow Your Heart.  I'm just curious if there's either been a huge change in the FYH cheese line, or if Fellini is doing something drastically different to make their vegan cheese pizzas taste and look like dairy cheese.

Thanks,

Louisa

Guest guest

A friend of mine went, and she said they are now using Daiya cheese!On 2010-03-01, at 8:12 AM, Natasha Prince wrote:

I had the "vegan" cheese at Fellini, its definitely not real cheese. I'm not really sure what brand it is or if they make their own vegan cheese. I agree with Tammy, ask multiple people the same information or if you go there again just ask them if you can see the packaging. Just act clueless and throw out some compliments and say that you never heard of it before and you just want to know what the packaging looks like so that you can spot it in the store.

-NatashaOn Sun, Feb 28, 2010 at 5:46 PM, Tammy <tammy (AT) bayareaveg (DOT) org> wrote:

> Has anyone ordered vegan cheese on their Fellini's pizzas recently? I went there the other night and was shocked by how stringy the "vegan" cheese was.

What I find works well with restaurants is to validate the same information with multiple people. So perhaps if you call them up and ask what kind of vegan cheese they use on their pizza, you'll hopefully get the information and can report back ... I know the owner who started the restaurant sold it a couple of years ago ..

Cheers,

Tammy

Join us at an upcoming Bay Area Vegetarians event!03/13 Food for Thought Book Club: Slaughterhouse by Gail Eisnitz - Berkeley

03/27 Secrets of Vegan Baking: The Chocolate Trio - San Mateo

04/24 Secrets of Vegan Baking: Berry Sweets - San Mateo Say it your way .. with an Ultimate Guide Review

On Behalf Of LouisaSunday, February 28, 2010 12:38 PMBay Area Vegetarians Follow Your Heart/Fellini's "vegan" cheese question

Hi all,

Has anyone ordered vegan cheese on their Fellini's pizzas recently? I went there the other night and was shocked by how stringy the "vegan" cheese was. The really clueless server (who messed up pretty much everything else in our order) swore up and down that it was Follow Your Heart. If this is the case, did FYH recently reformulate their "cheese" to make it shockingly similar to dairy cheese? I know Daiya is more dairy-like in its texture but, if memory serves, FYH is mostly just a blob of congealed oil when melted.

My boyfriend and I did not get sick after eating the pizza, so I'm guessing it was FYH as promised. However, he thinks we would probably be okay with dairy because we used to eat it and are probably still able to digest lactose; we frequently eat soy yogurt so our stomachs have plenty of lactose-loving bacteria.

I'm not trying to spread false rumors about Fellini or Follow Your Heart. I'm just curious if there's either been a huge change in the FYH cheese line, or if Fellini is doing something drastically different to make their vegan cheese pizzas taste and look like dairy cheese.

Thanks,

Louisa

Karine BrightenkarinebrightenPlease think before you print