IndiaDivine.org

No to Taco Bell!! Owned by Yum! Brands, parent co. of Kentucky ...

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Dear Vasile,

Taco Bell is a very special example, entirely separate from Naked Juice: (1) KFC and Taco Bell share the same restaurant space with shared cash registers; (2) There is a PETA boycott of that specific space because of extreme cruelty to chickens, with the goal of putting that space out of business if animal welfare measures are not adopted. The boycott has succeeded in Canada. With enough support, it is possible it could succeed in America.

On behalf of the KFC chickens, I beg you not to eat at Taco Bell.

Sincerely, Bonnie Knight, San Francisco

In a message dated 5/10/2010 9:04:28 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time, vts writes:

You raise an interesting issue about Taco Bell.

But the reality is that companies which profit from the exploitation of animal are so interwoven in our society it would seem to be structurally impossible to boycott them all. For example Pepsi/Yum foods also owns Naked Juice. Should we also boycott Naked Juice ? How would Pepsi/Yum foods realize (assuming they even noticed) that the reason we were boycotting vegan food at Taco Bell or vegan Naked Juice was because of their mistreatment of chickens at KFC? It would seem to me to be equally likely that they would instead conclude that vegan foods was not selling as well as they hoped and discontinue them/invest more in meat products.

I would instead respectfully suggest the we support vegan food where ever we can.

Yours,

Vasile

Guest guest

Hi all,

Bonnie, I do not think that all KFC and Taco Bells are necessarily co-located and share the same space/registers. I have seen independent Taco Bell and KFC restaurants. I know the KFC that we used to protest at in Pacifica before it closed was a standalone restaurant. And the Taco Bell that remains in Pacifica is still a standalone restaurant.

I actually prefer -- whenever I have a choice -- to dine at exclusively veg restaurants. However, I acknowledge that there are reasons to support eating at mixed restaurants, one being it may encourage them to offer more vegan options or if it's pizza.

My favorite exception is pizza at Amici's because they are now offering Daiya vegan cheese at all of their restaurants in the Bay Area, at no extra cost. So, in this case, I think my patronage of their vegan pizza is a good thing, because it shows a demand for it and maybe one day they will sell more Daiya cheese on their pizzas instead of cow cheese! Although, in all fairness, I don't really eat at Amici's frequently enough for it to make a noticeable difference...

Cheers,

Tammy

My Ultimate Guide Reviews | GenerationVegan blogUpcoming BAVeg Events I'm hosting05/13 Basil Cha Cha Vegan Thai Dinner + Bay Trail walk - Foster City 06/26 SF Pride - Veg outreach / Education - SF 06/27 SF Pride - Veg outreach / Education - SF 07/04 Sand-n-Surf Vegan Food Party! - Montara State Beach

(more events at bayareaveg.org/events )

Guest guest

It's worth noting that even PETA supports and endorses some parts

of the KFC/Yum! Empire. Case in point, a few years ago, our very own Alex and

Jack got married at a KFC in Canada to help promote newly added vegan options

and a landmark agreement between PETA and the company that coordinates the

purchase of chickens for all KFC franchises in Canada.

http://blog.peta.org/archives/vegan_wedding/

There is no black and white answer to this, and it's up to each

one of us to make our own educated decisions.

Bonnie - Thank you for all that you do for the animals, I know

you've been working for years on this campaign.

Chris

On Behalf Of Bonbonsf

Monday, May 10, 2010 9:54 PM

vts;

Re: No to Taco Bell!! Owned by Yum! Brands, parent

co. of Kentucky ...

Dear

Vasile,

Taco Bell is a very special example, entirely separate from Naked Juice:

(1) KFC and Taco Bell share the same restaurant space with shared cash

registers; (2) There is a PETA boycott of that specific space because of

extreme cruelty to chickens, with the goal of putting that space out of

business if animal welfare measures are not adopted. The boycott has

succeeded in Canada. With enough support, it is possible it could succeed

in America.

On behalf of the KFC chickens, I beg you not to eat at Taco Bell.

Sincerely, Bonnie Knight, San Francisco