IndiaDivine.org

Scallopini w/Mushroom Sauce (vegan or lacto)

Rate this topic

Guest guest

I thought I'd pass this along. I fixed it for supper last night. It's delicious & best of all the original recipe is vegan (though I used milk last night because i didn't have any soy milk on hand). This recipe is from the Meat Lover's Vegetarian Cookbook by Steven Ferry & Tanya Petrovna. Might make a nice romantic valentine meal. :-)

Megan

SCALLOPINI WITH MUSHROOM SAUCE

6 4-oz. tempeh patties (OR) 6 thin slices of seitanolive oil6 shallots, sliced8 oz. button mushrooms, thinly sliced1/2 t. sea salt1 T. unbleached, white flour1/2 c. (soy) milk1/4 c. white winesea saltpepper1/2 c. parsley, finely chopped

1. Braise seitan/tempeh slices in saucepan 2-3 minutes each side in olive oil, until golden brown. Add 1 c. vegetable stock to pan & simmer until all liquid is evaporated, turning slices occasionally so the patties can absorb the broth. Set patties aside. (This is just to flavor the patties themselves, if you prefer plain tempeh/seitan you can maybe leave this step out).

2. In a medium skillet, saute shallots in olive oil until transparent and lightly browned. Add mushroomsj & 1/2 t. sea salt. Saute 3 minutes until soft.

3. Add flour and stir well for 2 minutes. Stir in soy milk and white wine, bring to simmer and stir until sauce has light, creamy consistency, about 1 minute. Add salt and pepper to taste. Take off heat and stir in parsley.

4. On serving plate, arrange scallopini slices in fan shape and pour mushroom sauce on top (before hand if slices have cooled, microwave them for a minute or two to warm them up again). Pour mushroom sauce on top. Serve with rice and vegetables of your choice.