Guest guest

In a message dated 4/8/02 9:08:29 PM Pacific Daylight Time,

haralvarez writes:

<< This is the native's diet, perhaps not what most tourists or even middle-

or upper-class people might follow either. Just my two cents on Vietnam. I'm

jealous of your visit! >>

There is a Vietnamese restaurant around here that I totally love. They

owners are an old Vietnamese couple who came over here and started this

restaurant and the food is out of this world. It is my favorite place to eat.

I have introduced every friend I have to this place, and when I eat there,

they will always substitute tofu in any meat or fish dish they serve. Their

vegetarian Vietnamese Spring Rolls with peanut dipping sauce are to die for!!

Gloria

Guest guest

I happen to have grown up in Vietnam when I was quite young, and my mom is always touting the healthy diet that the Vietnamese follow (of course, this was back in the 70s). And, of course, their foods don't have the nasty additives that ours do, and is heavily based on vegetables and fruit. This is the native's diet, perhaps not what most tourists or even middle- or upper-class people might follow either. Just my two cents on Vietnam. I'm jealous of your visit!

Anita

-

rpa1960

Monday, April 08, 2002 11:59 PM

eating out veggie

Hi,This is the most active group around, I think. Every recipe I read makes my mouth water.I have moved about the US a lot and I prefer going to Asian restaurants. Most have vegetarian dishes, it is easier to order tofu, they are relatively fast and delicious.However, we visited Vietnam last fall and I thought I would have no problems getting vegetarian dishes but I was wrong. The Vietnamese restaurants around here all have extensive vegetarian options. In Vietnam the population is listed as 1/3rd Buddist and we could get vegetarian food when we sought out Buddist establishments. But the Vietnamese use fish sauce for many dishes. And the traditional noodle soup, pho, is made with beef. But I am so in love with the country that I will just take more protein bars with me when I go back. I am looking forward to tomorrows recipes :-) Maxcontact owner: -owner Mail list: Delivered-mailing list List-Un: - no flaming arguing or denigration of others allowedcontact owner with complaints regarding posting/list or anything else. Thank you.please share/comment/inform and mostly enjoy this list

Guest guest

Vietnamese food is excellent and I have a great favourite called "pottery rice" which is the specialty of a good restaurant not far from me. Naturally, I choose the veggie version although it does come with shrimp or chicken, I believe. I do not have the recipe for this dish and the chef is obviously not anxious to give it away, so I wonder if any of you can suggest which spices are used. The dish contains rice, broccoli, snow peas, baby corn, perhaps something that looks a lot like bamboo shoots but might be something unknown to me and has a clear reddish sauce of some kind, but the spices are a source of puzzlement to me. The taste is quite spicy, not too hot but lively, and perhaps a bit on the sweetish side...definitely nothing of a fish or meat nature is used! Any suggestions would be appreciated since I will make this dish if I can just isolate the appropriate spices to use. Many thanks in advance. Katherine Anita Alvarez <haralvarez wrote:

I happen to have grown up in Vietnam when I was quite young, and my mom is always touting the healthy diet that the Vietnamese follow (of course, this was back in the 70s). And, of course, their foods don't have the nasty additives that ours do, and is heavily based on vegetables and fruit. This is the native's diet, perhaps not what most tourists or even middle- or upper-class people might follow either. Just my two cents on Vietnam. I'm jealous of your visit!

Anita

-

rpa1960

Monday, April 08, 2002 11:59 PM

eating out veggie

Hi,This is the most active group around, I think. Every recipe I read makes my mouth water.I have moved about the US a lot and I prefer going to Asian restaurants. Most have vegetarian dishes, it is easier to order tofu, they are relatively fast and delicious.However, we visited Vietnam last fall and I thought I would have no problems getting vegetarian dishes but I was wrong. The Vietnamese restaurants around here all have extensive vegetarian options. In Vietnam the population is listed as 1/3rd Buddist and we could get vegetarian food when we sought out Buddist establishments. But the Vietnamese use fish sauce for many dishes. And the traditional noodle soup, pho, is made with beef. But I am so in love with the country that I will just take more protein bars with me when I go back. I am looking forward to tomorrows recipes :-) Maxcontact owner: -owner Mail list: Delivered-mailing list List-Un: - no flaming arguing or denigration of others allowedcontact owner with complaints regarding posting/list or anything else. Thank you.please share/comment/inform and mostly enjoy this list

Guest guest

Hi, Anita,

We ate semi-native at times. Tried different places whenever we

could. Had some of the best fruit I've ever had. When we ordered

fresh fruit, they would go out to the sidewalk to the street vendors

and bring back bananas and pineapples, papayas and things I've never

seen before but were delicious.

We also had a favorite place in Ha Noi--Mama Rosa's. An Italian

cafe. Yum. The meat eaters got some unique pizzas :-)

The food in Saigon (Ho Chi Minh City) was different than Ha Noi but

also good. Found a small vegetarian cafe where I got a big bowl of

noodle soup with fake meat for 75 cents.

Anyhow, the country is beautiful and is filled with wonderful

people. We have met several people who were from VN and who

returned to visit. Several liked it, some did not. I would like to

learn more of the language before returning.

Max

, " Anita Alvarez " <haralvarez@p...>

wrote:

> I happen to have grown up in Vietnam when I was quite young, and

my mom is always touting the healthy diet that the Vietnamese follow

(of course, this was back in the 70s). And, of course, their foods

don't have the nasty additives that ours do, and is heavily based on

vegetables and fruit. This is the native's diet, perhaps not what

most tourists or even middle- or upper-class people might follow

either. Just my two cents on Vietnam. I'm jealous of your visit!

>

> Anita

>

> -

> rpa1960

>

> Monday, April 08, 2002 11:59 PM

> eating out veggie

>

>

> Hi,

>

> This is the most active group around, I think. Every recipe I

read

> makes my mouth water.

>

> I have moved about the US a lot and I prefer going to Asian

> restaurants. Most have vegetarian dishes, it is easier to order

> tofu, they are relatively fast and delicious.

>

> However, we visited Vietnam last fall and I thought I would have

no

> problems getting vegetarian dishes but I was wrong. The

Vietnamese

> restaurants around here all have extensive vegetarian options.

In

> Vietnam the population is listed as 1/3rd Buddist and we could

get

> vegetarian food when we sought out Buddist establishments. But

the

> Vietnamese use fish sauce for many dishes. And the traditional

> noodle soup, pho, is made with beef. But I am so in love with

the

> country that I will just take more protein bars with me when I

go

> back.

>