Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Hi Lu,

Meant to put " hint,hint " next to my statement since

Autumn mentioned that she was Native American,

from a great nation of peoples. I like to learn about

different cultures and am enjoying Mirian's format on

world vegans. That why the awkward comment.

Before my first stay in Europe (Germany 1997), my

friend Chris, took me to his former home on a

Montana reservation (he's mostly Blackfoot) and I had

a wonderful, enlighting experience. I felt it was

neccessary before traveling oversees. This is part of

our collective culture and should be honored.

I am glad to see the involvement in this group and so

glad that Megan has so much energy! I was off

checking out two cool sites - living-foods.com and

vegsource.com--- I couldn't bring up

Childrenofthemillennium.org for some reason. I have

problems bringing up sites when the size is large - I

have not purchased a computer yet, though I bought

one in '82! I hope to find one fast enough to upload

and scan pics - without spending $$. Am wanting to

save for next trip. :-) David

, vls <jdoe@b...> wrote:

> David,

>

> Will you please explain your statement regarding

Native Americans,

> " There are many nations represented though a

modest population and no

> Native Americans yet " !

>

> Thank you,

> Lu

Guest guest

Kwai (Hi!!)

I would be more then glad to share some of my culture with anyone, if you have any questions I will try to answer them if possible. My tribe the Penobscot's hunted and fished but also were farmers and canoe makes and basket makers. There are many vegetable dishes that I learned to cook from my grandmother who did most of her coooking on a wood stove and by oil lamps as I grew up. Acorn squash and most squashes as well as corn and beans and potatoes were a staple to us on the reservation. If you would like for me to share some of my culture with the group I do not mind as questions are a means of learning.

Love & Happiness

Ne-Do-Ba (friends)

Autumn

willustillneedme <starcollage wrote: Hi Lu,Meant to put "hint,hint" next to my statement since Autumn mentioned that she was Native American, from a great nation of peoples. I like to learn about different cultures and am enjoying Mirian's format on world vegans. SNIP

Autos - Get free new car price quotes

Guest guest

Kwai Autumn! I'm not much for squash, but I love corn and beans and

potatoes. Do you have any Native American recipes you cd share? Thanks and

glad you're here.

L

Ne-Do-Ba

> Kwai (Hi!!)

>

>I would be more then glad to share some of my culture with anyone, if you

>have any questions I will try to answer them if possible. My tribe the

>Penobscot's hunted and fished but also were farmers and canoe makes and

>basket makers. There are many vegetable dishes that I learned to cook from

>my grandmother who did most of her coooking on a wood stove and by oil

>lamps as I grew up. Acorn squash and most squashes as well as corn and

>beans and potatoes were a staple to us on the reservation. If you would

>like for me to share some of my culture with the group I do not mind as

>questions are a means of learning.

>

>Love & Happiness

>

>Ne-Do-Ba (friends)

>

>Autumn

Guest guest

Kwai, Jane

I am from Old Town, Maine I grew on on the Indian Island Reservation. Not many peopel know of our tribe so you would have to be from around the area to know of us, where in NH did you grow up. I stayed for a short time in Meredith, NH it a beautiful place. My favorite recipe which is a very simpel recipe is to take a Acorn Squash and cut in half, scoop out the seeds with a spoon, then drizzle over each half of the squash one teaspoon of pure maple syrup. Put in a glass baking dish with about 1/4 cup of water in the bottom of the pan, so that the squash can draw up the water as it cooks and it does not get dry. Bake at 350 degrees till when a fork is inserted it feels tender. This came to mind as I am eating an Acorn Squash fixe like this this very momment and boy is it good.

I will post some more traditional Native Amercian recipes when I get the chance. Got to go and get ready for my workout, I workout with weight 3 -4 times a week in my weight room, I love the feel of weight lifting it makes me feel great.

Hope you ahve a great weekend.

Love & Happiness

Ne-Do-Ba

Autumn

twoslim <twoslim wrote:

Welcome, Autumn, are you from Maine or NH? I grew up in NH and often heard about the Penobscots. Squash is such a familiar food in that area and it's still one of my very favorites. Any squash recipes from your Grandma to pass on?

janecontact owner: -owner Mail list: Delivered-mailing list List-Un: - no flaming arguing or denigration of others allowedcontact owner with complaints regarding posting/list or anything else. Thank you.please share/comment/inform and mostly enjoy this list

Guest guest

Kwai

Before I go to workout here is a recipe for Brown Corn that is one my grandmother used to make in the old wood stove. I admit that using a gas or electric stove to me seems to change the taste a little but is still great, I hope you like it. I had to change a few things to modernazie it for the way I eat now but it is dynamite.

"Brown Corn". Bake 6 ears in husks at 400 for 15 minutes. Fry 6 to 8 sliced mushrooms with 3 cloves garlic chopped fine in olive oil.. Then shuck the cooled-off corn and brush it with olive oil. Broil it, turning a couple times about 10 minutes till it turns light brown, then cut off the kernels. Mix corn, mushrooms, and 3 tablespoons olive oil with 2 TBS chopped cilantro, 1 tsp marjoram, and some mild chile in adobo sauce chopped fine with sauce from the can -- not more than a couple tablespoons.you can add more or less depending on how hot you like it? Squeeze in juice from 1/2 lime. Toss it all togeather to coat it all evenly like a salad.. Add about 1/4 tsp salt (depends on how salty you like it or if you use salt). Best when served hot or at room temperature

Love & Happiness

Ne-Do-Ba

Autumn

"L. Sturdevant" <schro wrote:

Kwai Autumn! I'm not much for squash, but I love corn and beans andpotatoes. Do you have any Native American recipes you cd share? Thanks andglad you're here.LNe-Do-Ba> Kwai (Hi!!)>>I would be more then glad to share some of my culture with anyone, if you>have any questions I will try to answer them if possible. My tribe the>Penobscot's hunted and fished but also were farmers and canoe makes and>basket makers. There are many vegetable dishes that I learned to cook from>my grandmother who did most of her coooking on a wood stove and by oil>lamps as I grew up. Acorn squash and most squashes as well as corn and>beans and potatoes were a staple to us on the reservation. If you would>like for me to share some of my culture with the group I do not mind as>questions are a means of learning.>>Love & Happiness>>Ne-Do-Ba (friends)>>Autumn

Guest guest

Welcome, Autumn, are you from Maine or NH? I grew up in NH and often heard about the Penobscots. Squash is such a familiar food in that area and it's still one of my very favorites. Any squash recipes from your Grandma to pass on?

jane

Guest guest

Autumn, I love acorn squash with real maple syrup drizzled over it. I must admit to also adding real butter in the hole when cooking them.

It's a small world, Autumn, I grew up in Center Harbor, NH. If you remember, it's the next town over from Meredith, and my family now lives in Laconia, the next town over the other way!! I live in Va but I'll be up there in the fall...yeah!

jane

My favorite recipe which is a very simpel recipe is to take a Acorn Squash and cut in half, scoop out the seeds with a spoon, then drizzle over each half of the squash one teaspoon of pure maple syrup. Put in a glass baking dish with about 1/4 cup of water in the bottom of the pan, so that the squash can draw up the water as it cooks and it does not get dry. Bake at 350 degrees till when a fork is inserted it feels tender.