IndiaDivine.org

The Real Benefit

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Yes, when I first became a vegetarian my parents freaked out. My co-workers got very upset and would verbally abuse me. My son almost didnt have a bar mitzvah because of the arguements we had over what would be served. My son (who was raised as a vegetarian from age 11 until he left for college) finally told them if they had meat that he was not going to show up. Finally we settled on pasta, and only one couple did not show up because the husband would not go to a party if there was no meat. The funny thing about it was we got all kinds of compliments on the food!!!

I strayed from my vegetarian ways for 6 years...the result, I gained 70 pounds, became diabetic, increased asthma and felt all around crappy. I decided to go back to become a reborn vegetarian, but to do it EVEN better (for me) this time. (Believe me, I am not knocking those of you that eat dairy, this just works better for my disease) I eat nothing but healthy foods, eat low fat, no added oil, and now I am a Vegan. My blood sugar is still a little high, but my doctor applaudes my new diet and told me to keep on it. I lost 11 pounds the first three weeks, and I feel alot better. I am exercising and taking good care of myself.

Now for the problem....my parents once again are nagging me about it. This time it seems to be a little different, they are not worried about my health, but every time I go over there my mother asks the same questions (and I go over 4 times a week, LOL) "Can you eat fish?Can you eat chicken?Can you eat cheese?Can you drink milk?Can you have butter?" I go through this every time, and when I say no to each one, they start saying, "How can you live without (fill in the blank)?" Like it is something that is really HARD to do. I explain to them that I cook grains, and we eat lots of vegetables and our food is tasty, but they think we are STARVING. They think I am torturing my husband, who actually loves the food I make for him.

Yesterday when she started in again, I asked her why she asks me the same questions every single time, and she tells me that she has more on her mind than what I eat...Okay, I accept that, after all she is 79 years old. But I am going to make a list for her and take it there, so she will stop asking me the same questions!!! Anyway that is my story....I would love to hear other peoples experiences, anyone want to share???

The Stewarts wrote:

Not so dumb at all, I've experienced the same bizarre pro-meat bigotry myself, and I've lived all over the world and all over the states, too. It's pretty much everywhere that the fast food industries have penetrated.I'm sure those of us not raised vegetarian remember when we switched, and stopped eating meat, how relatives and well-meaning friends pretty much assured us we'd die of malnutrition without meat. All that's happened is we stopped having diarrhea all the time. LOLOn Thursday, August 15, 2002, at 06:21 PM, wrote:> I didnt know that, its very interesting. I think most people trust > meat WAY too much, I dont know where you live, but people in Las Vegas > seem to be very adamant about their meat, and will stick up for it no > matter what. I just dont understand it myself, but maybe alot of > people find it easier to blame vegetables, which a lot of people dont > seem to like, than meat....Just a theory, and I will admit a dumb one > at that, LOL.>To see truly, dowse the light.contact owner: -owner Mail list: Delivered-mailing list List-Un: - no flaming arguing or denigration of others allowedcontact owner with complaints regarding posting/list or anything else. Thank you.please share/comment/inform and mostly enjoy this list

In a message dated 8/16/02 10:33:09 AM, stews9 writes:

<<

I'm sure those of us not raised vegetarian remember when we switched,

and stopped eating meat, how relatives and well-meaning friends pretty

much assured us we'd die of malnutrition without meat. All that's

happened is we stopped having diarrhea all the time. LOL

>>

LOL!

Jo

I'm new to this group. But finally! something I can

relate to. When I became a vegetarian my mom was more

than supportive, however my father was and still is a

different story. At first he was very taunting and I

would break down in tears all because I wouldn't,

couldn't eat meat. Now after 7 years he still makes

comments about what I eat or don't eat and it drives

me crazy! You would think after all this time he'd

figure it out that it isn't simply a phase it is a

lifestyle choice.

--- susi hall <susiwagnerhall wrote:

>

> Yes, when I first became a vegetarian my parents

> freaked out. My co-workers got very upset and would

> verbally abuse me. My son almost didnt have a bar

> mitzvah because of the arguements we had over what

> would be served. My son (who was raised as a

> vegetarian from age 11 until he left for college)

> finally told them if they had meat that he was not

> going to show up. Finally we settled on pasta, and

> only one couple did not show up because the husband

> would not go to a party if there was no meat. The

> funny thing about it was we got all kinds of

> compliments on the food!!!

> I strayed from my vegetarian ways for 6 years...the

> result, I gained 70 pounds, became diabetic,

> increased asthma and felt all around crappy. I

> decided to go back to become a reborn vegetarian,

> but to do it EVEN better (for me) this time.

> (Believe me, I am not knocking those of you that eat

> dairy, this just works better for my disease) I eat

> nothing but healthy foods, eat low fat, no added

> oil, and now I am a Vegan. My blood sugar is still

> a little high, but my doctor applaudes my new diet

> and told me to keep on it. I lost 11 pounds the

> first three weeks, and I feel alot better. I am

> exercising and taking good care of myself.

> Now for the problem....my parents once again are

> nagging me about it. This time it seems to be a

> little different, they are not worried about my

> health, but every time I go over there my mother

> asks the same questions (and I go over 4 times a

> week, LOL) " Can you eat fish? " " Can you eat

> chicken? " " Can you eat cheese? " " Can you drink

> milk? " " Can you have butter? " I go through this

> every time, and when I say no to each one, they

> start saying, " How can you live without (fill in the

> blank)? " Like it is something that is really HARD to

> do. I explain to them that I cook grains, and we

> eat lots of vegetables and our food is tasty, but

> they think we are STARVING. They think I am

> torturing my husband, who actually loves the food I

> make for him.

> Yesterday when she started in again, I asked her why

> she asks me the same questions every single time,

> and she tells me that she has more on her mind than

> what I eat...Okay, I accept that, after all she is

> 79 years old. But I am going to make a list for her

> and take it there, so she will stop asking me the

> same questions!!!

> Anyway that is my story....I would love to hear

> other peoples experiences, anyone want to share???

>

> The Stewarts wrote:Not so dumb at all, I've

> experienced the same bizarre pro-meat bigotry

> myself, and I've lived all over the world and all

> over the states, too.

> It's pretty much everywhere that the fast food

> industries have

> penetrated.

>

> I'm sure those of us not raised vegetarian remember

> when we switched,

> and stopped eating meat, how relatives and

> well-meaning friends pretty

> much assured us we'd die of malnutrition without

> meat. All that's

> happened is we stopped having diarrhea all the time.

> LOL

>

>

> On Thursday, August 15, 2002, at 06:21 PM,

> wrote:

>

> > I didnt know that, its very interesting. I think

> most people trust

> > meat WAY too much, I dont know where you live, but

> people in Las Vegas

> > seem to be very adamant about their meat, and will

> stick up for it no

> > matter what. I just dont understand it myself,

> but maybe alot of

> > people find it easier to blame vegetables, which a

> lot of people dont

> > seem to like, than meat....Just a theory, and I

> will admit a dumb one

> > at that, LOL.

> >

> To see truly, dowse the light.

>

>

>

Heather,

Has he ever told you why he feels this way? Susi

Heather Chapman wrote:

I'm new to this group. But finally! something I canrelate to. When I became a vegetarian my mom was morethan supportive, however my father was and still is adifferent story. At first he was very taunting and Iwould break down in tears all because I wouldn't,couldn't eat meat. Now after 7 years he still makescomments about what I eat or don't eat and it drivesme crazy! You would think after all this time he'dfigure it out that it isn't simply a phase it is alifestyle choice.--- susi hall <susiwagnerhall wrote:> > Yes, when I first became a vegetarian my parents> freaked out. My co-workers got very upset and would> verbally abuse me. My son almost didnt have a bar> mitzvah because of the arguements we had over what> would be served. My son (who was raised as a> vegetarian from age 11 until he left for college)> finally told them if they had meat that he was not> going to show up. Finally we settled on pasta, and> only one couple did not show up because the husband> would not go to a party if there was no meat. The> funny thing about it was we got all kinds of> compliments on the food!!!> I strayed from my vegetarian ways for 6 years...the> result, I gained 70 pounds, became diabetic,> increased asthma and felt all around crappy. I> decided to go back to become a reborn vegetarian,> but to do it EVEN better (for me) this time.> (Believe me, I am not knocking those of you that eat> dairy, this just works better for my disease) I eat> nothing but healthy foods, eat low fat, no added> oil, and now I am a Vegan. My blood sugar is still> a little high, but my doctor applaudes my new diet> and told me to keep on it. I lost 11 pounds the> first three weeks, and I feel alot better. I am> exercising and taking good care of myself. > Now for the problem....my parents once again are> nagging me about it. This time it seems to be a> little different, they are not worried about my> health, but every time I go over there my mother> asks the same questions (and I go over 4 times a> week, LOL) "Can you eat fish?Can you eat> chicken?Can you eat cheese?Can you drink> milk?Can you have butter?" I go through this> every time, and when I say no to each one, they> start saying, "How can you live without (fill in the> blank)?" Like it is something that is really HARD to> do. I explain to them that I cook grains, and we> eat lots of vegetables and our food is tasty, but> they think we are STARVING. They think I am> torturing my husband, who actually loves the food I> make for him.> Yesterday when she started in again, I asked her why> she asks me the same questions every single time,> and she tells me that she has more on her mind than> what I eat...Okay, I accept that, after all she is> 79 years old. But I am going to make a list for her> and take it there, so she will stop asking me the> same questions!!! > Anyway that is my story....I would love to hear> other peoples experiences, anyone want to share???> > The Stewarts wrote:Not so dumb at all, I've> experienced the same bizarre pro-meat bigotry > myself, and I've lived all over the world and all> over the states, too. > It's pretty much everywhere that the fast food> industries have > penetrated.> > I'm sure those of us not raised vegetarian remember> when we switched, > and stopped eating meat, how relatives and> well-meaning friends pretty > much assured us we'd die of malnutrition without> meat. All that's > happened is we stopped having diarrhea all the time.> LOL> > > On Thursday, August 15, 2002, at 06:21 PM, > wrote:> > > I didnt know that, its very interesting. I think> most people trust > > meat WAY too much, I dont know where you live, but> people in Las Vegas > > seem to be very adamant about their meat, and will> stick up for it no > > matter what. I just dont understand it myself,> but maybe alot of > > people find it easier to blame vegetables, which a> lot of people dont > > seem to like, than meat....Just a theory, and I> will admit a dumb one > > at that, LOL.> >> To see truly, dowse the light.> > >

In a message dated 8/16/2002 10:32:32 AM Eastern Daylight Time, stews9 writes:

I'm sure those of us not raised vegetarian remember when we switched,

and stopped eating meat, how relatives and well-meaning friends pretty

much assured us we'd die of malnutrition without meat. All that's

happened is we stopped having diarrhea all the time. LOL

LOL! Ain't that the truth! My mom is supportive of anything if it'll help her get rid of the need to take Ammodium with just about every meal. I think she's going to give being meatless a try (hard to do when you've got farmland in all directions and your closest neighbor raises cows, but all of her friends are very supportive of everyone else). My coworkers....well, some of them are very supportive (especially the ones that I've befriended), but there are a few who insist that I'm a freak for not eating meat or dairy. Then they wonder where all my energy comes from, why I look so good for a mother of 2, etc. Go figure! I would feel safe to say all of us on this list are feeling & looking better since we've changed our eating habits.

Christine

Along with your list, maybe you can take some easy recipes for her (Or even leftovers if you think she'd eat them). It might help her feel a little more comfortable about what you're eating, and if it's recipes, she could fix something you could eat? Even if she would never cook it for you, sometimes just the knowledge makes you feel better and less "out of the loop."

Just a thought,

JJ

Yesterday when she started in again, I asked her why she asks me the same questions every single time, and she tells me that she has more on her mind than what I eat...Okay, I accept that, after all she is 79 years old. But I am going to make a list for her and take it there, so she will stop asking me the same questions!!!

I'm probably going to get a tongue lashing for this but you are right in some ways.. it causes people to think. I applaud people who stand up for what they think is right. My conflict comes in the way it is displayed. Vegetarians are just now being "accepted" into a meat eaters world without being thought of as strange or could it be possibly healthier and smarter? And women who don't shave their legs are surely thought to be unclean and lazy therefor setting up ridicule by the public and especailly other women. But living in a God fearing country that clearly states "in God we trust" and most Americans being of a God fearing religion, well, defying that surly sets you up to have stones cast. You are smart and intelligent, public displays and choices of appearance makes you seem strange and therefor a stereotype is given to others who have similar beliefs and choices. It does cause people to think, but it may not be good thought.

Don't mean to cause a ruffle, but I'm just sharing my thought. Now, I'd like to find a good light summer soup recipe(s) any ideas? Robin

In regards to folks not understanding why you're veg, who cares? Of all the things in my life that people don't understand, that is a very minor one. Many folks think I'm going to hell because I'm atheist, or that I'll never get a man because I havn't shaved my legs in 7 years (I have a wonderful boyfriend of 3 years, thank you, and he loves my legs) or that I'm ruining my skin because I rarely wear makeup or that I don't have a life because I'm still in grad school... I mean really, what I eat makes up a very small proportion of my strangeness to the folks down here and my family on the farm. And, to me, the people who are put off by my oddities are people I probably wouldn't want to be friends with anyways, so it acts as a filter.

AT one point, I was commenting on how difficult it was to live as a liberal thinking person in such a conservative town. A person pointed out that while it may be difficult, I had a much greater opportunity to affect change in this town than in the neighboring very liberal town so really, I may be doing more good here. It is a nice perspective and of course the person is right... I have made more than one person stop and think about many things. Just a thought.

Genie

I would rather regret that which I have experienced than wish I had experienced that which is past.

HotJobs, a service - Search Thousands of New Jobs

Hi, Re co-workers attitudes: On one job we had pot-lucks every few

months. We were a small group so what each brought mattered. The

others were a little apprehensive when they learned I am a

vegetarian-- " what bizarre items will she bring? " But they were ok

when they saw that I brought " normal " (and normally) meatless

dishes.

The others would often set aside some of whatever they made before

adding meat and I thought that was very nice of them. I didn't ask

them to, they just did it. Except for one lady. She went out of

her way IMO to add meat to things that normally don't have them

(usually in the form of chicken broth) and then say, oh so

sweetly, " I'm so sorry--that has meat in it. " She also never ate

what I brought. I would smile back and say, " Hey, no problem. "

Later the others would whisper to me that her dish would have tasted

better without the meat.

Ahh, the good old days of working in an office :-)

Max

LOL. That is just too funny!!! My best friend and I used to work in an office and we were literally FORCED to bring something in for a Christmas party to feed the ENTIRE police force, officers and civilians. This could be about 600 or more people. After years and years of it most of us really resented it, we never got as much as a thank you and the head of the department took all the credit. She was known to give the impression that the food was either made by her or bought by her. Well, I am a passive aggresive type (SO WATCH OUT FOR ME) with a terrible mean streak, so my best friend and I made a fruit salad with fruit, cool whip, sugar, and our secret ingredient CLAM JUICE. Of course I didnt taste it, and I didnt stand around to see who did, only because I probably would have felt a little guilty...but we thought it might keep her from having the mandatory Christmas party the next year, no such luck, oh well.

rpa1960 wrote:

Hi, Re co-workers attitudes: On one job we had pot-lucks every few months. We were a small group so what each brought mattered. The others were a little apprehensive when they learned I am a vegetarian--"what bizarre items will she bring?" But they were ok when they saw that I brought "normal" (and normally) meatless dishes. The others would often set aside some of whatever they made before adding meat and I thought that was very nice of them. I didn't ask them to, they just did it. Except for one lady. She went out of her way IMO to add meat to things that normally don't have them (usually in the form of chicken broth) and then say, oh so sweetly, "I'm so sorry--that has meat in it." She also never ate what I brought. I would smile back and say, "Hey, no problem." Later the others would whisper to me that her dish would have tasted better without the meat. Ahh, the good old days of working in an office :-)Maxcontact owner: -owner Mail list: Delivered-mailing list List-Un: - no flaming arguing or denigration of others allowedcontact owner with complaints regarding posting/list or anything else. Thank you.please share/comment/inform and mostly enjoy this list

Genie,

In my opinion, you are lucky that it doesnt matter to you what people think about you being a vegetarian. I really dont care what people think of me anyway, but I do not enjoy the conflicts that I come across in my life with regards to being a vegan. To me there is a difference. When my husband and I go out to dinner there usually are problems with my ordering. Alot of people here think vegetarians dont eat beef, and when I ask if there is any meat in a selection they tell me there is not, but then I have to go down a list of ingredients, and alot of times there is chicken or broth or something that I will not eat, that is a hassle. I do not wear makeup either, I HATE IT. I do not shave my legs, or my armpits, I do not dress in fashionable clothes, I do volunteer work at a dirty, muddy, dusty animal sanctuary, and I am overweight. When I got divorced from my first husband, my parents thought I would never get married again. We fought and fought over the way I looked and they told me I would never get married again. Well, along came Steve, who happens to love natural woman, and I have been happily married for 6 years. And the best part is he is 13 years younger than me, a wonderful compassionate person, who is a good provider. And neither of us believes in God either, so there is no conflict there. So if you want to tell your parents next time they hassle you that you arent the only one out there like that!!! And by the way, GOOD FOR YOU for going to grad school!! If you can make even one person "see the light" your on the right track. Obviously you are a very intellegent woman, and people must respect you and your opinion, so keep on doing good out there!

Susi

genie bottle wrote:

In regards to folks not understanding why you're veg, who cares? Of all the things in my life that people don't understand, that is a very minor one. Many folks think I'm going to hell because I'm atheist, or that I'll never get a man because I havn't shaved my legs in 7 years (I have a wonderful boyfriend of 3 years, thank you, and he loves my legs) or that I'm ruining my skin because I rarely wear makeup or that I don't have a life because I'm still in grad school... I mean really, what I eat makes up a very small proportion of my strangeness to the folks down here and my family on the farm. And, to me, the people who are put off by my oddities are people I probably wouldn't want to be friends with anyways, so it acts as a filter. AT one point, I was commenting on how difficult it was to live as a liberal thinking person in such a conservative town. A person pointed out that while it may be difficult, I had a much greater opportunity to affect change in this town than in the neighboring very liberal town so really, I may be doing more good here. It is a nice perspective and of course the person is right... I have made more than one person stop and think about many things. Just a thought. Genie I would rather regret that which I have experienced than wish I had experienced that which is past.

HotJobs, a service - Search Thousands of New Jobs contact owner: -owner Mail list: Delivered-mailing list List-Un: - no flaming arguing or denigration of others allowedcontact owner with complaints regarding posting/list or anything else. Thank you.please share/comment/inform and mostly enjoy this list

JJ,

Great idea for a "normal" person, but my mom would never eat anything without meat or oil in it. I am not kidding about this!! Steve (my hubby) and I are concerned because my birthday is coming up and we were thinking of buying a vegan cake at Wild Oats. They are pretty good, but my mother will not touch it because it she is not used to the ingredients being put together in that manner. This is no joke...we are thinking of buying one, and telling her that I decided to eat eggs and sugar and milk "just this once" but I dont know if I should.

The best thing about this though is when Thanksgiving and Christmas roll around my mom and dad have a big dinner with a bunch a relatives over and my family is as dysfunctional as they come, and the evening always ends in big arguements. Since I dont eat meat, my parents do not let me come as I am "an embarresment" I say KEWL, LOL

JJ wrote:

Along with your list, maybe you can take some easy recipes for her (Or even leftovers if you think she'd eat them). It might help her feel a little more comfortable about what you're eating, and if it's recipes, she could fix something you could eat? Even if she would never cook it for you, sometimes just the knowledge makes you feel better and less "out of the loop."

Just a thought,

JJ

Yesterday when she started in again, I asked her why she asks me the same questions every single time, and she tells me that she has more on her mind than what I eat...Okay, I accept that, after all she is 79 years old. But I am going to make a list for her and take it there, so she will stop asking me the same questions!!! contact owner: -owner Mail list: Delivered-mailing list List-Un: - no flaming arguing or denigration of others allowedcontact owner with complaints regarding posting/list or anything else. Thank you.please share/comment/inform and mostly enjoy this list

No but I have a good indication. He's farmer from an

old fashioned family. In fact he's often said that no

one really needs more than an eighth grade education

the rest is just fluff. I really just think he's

closed minded.

--- susi hall <susiwagnerhall wrote:

>

> Heather,

> Has he ever told you why he feels this way?

> Susi

> Heather Chapman wrote:I'm new to this group. But

> finally! something I can

> relate to. When I became a vegetarian my mom was

> more

> than supportive, however my father was and still is

> a

> different story. At first he was very taunting and

> I

> would break down in tears all because I wouldn't,

> couldn't eat meat. Now after 7 years he still makes

> comments about what I eat or don't eat and it drives

> me crazy! You would think after all this time he'd

> figure it out that it isn't simply a phase it is a

> lifestyle choice.

> --- susi hall <susiwagnerhall wrote:

> >

> > Yes, when I first became a vegetarian my parents

> > freaked out. My co-workers got very upset and

> would

> > verbally abuse me. My son almost didnt have a bar

> > mitzvah because of the arguements we had over what

> > would be served. My son (who was raised as a

> > vegetarian from age 11 until he left for college)

> > finally told them if they had meat that he was not

> > going to show up. Finally we settled on pasta,

> and

> > only one couple did not show up because the

> husband

> > would not go to a party if there was no meat. The

> > funny thing about it was we got all kinds of

> > compliments on the food!!!

> > I strayed from my vegetarian ways for 6

> years...the

> > result, I gained 70 pounds, became diabetic,

> > increased asthma and felt all around crappy. I

> > decided to go back to become a reborn vegetarian,

> > but to do it EVEN better (for me) this time.

> > (Believe me, I am not knocking those of you that

> eat

> > dairy, this just works better for my disease) I

> eat

> > nothing but healthy foods, eat low fat, no added

> > oil, and now I am a Vegan. My blood sugar is

> still

> > a little high, but my doctor applaudes my new diet

> > and told me to keep on it. I lost 11 pounds the

> > first three weeks, and I feel alot better. I am

> > exercising and taking good care of myself.

> > Now for the problem....my parents once again are

> > nagging me about it. This time it seems to be a

> > little different, they are not worried about my

> > health, but every time I go over there my mother

> > asks the same questions (and I go over 4 times a

> > week, LOL) " Can you eat fish? " " Can you eat

> > chicken? " " Can you eat cheese? " " Can you drink

> > milk? " " Can you have butter? " I go through this

> > every time, and when I say no to each one, they

> > start saying, " How can you live without (fill in

> the

> > blank)? " Like it is something that is really HARD

> to

> > do. I explain to them that I cook grains, and we

> > eat lots of vegetables and our food is tasty, but

> > they think we are STARVING. They think I am

> > torturing my husband, who actually loves the food

> I

> > make for him.

> > Yesterday when she started in again, I asked her

> why

> > she asks me the same questions every single time,

> > and she tells me that she has more on her mind

> than

> > what I eat...Okay, I accept that, after all she is

> > 79 years old. But I am going to make a list for

> her

> > and take it there, so she will stop asking me the

> > same questions!!!

> > Anyway that is my story....I would love to hear

> > other peoples experiences, anyone want to share???

> >

> > The Stewarts wrote:Not so dumb at all, I've

> > experienced the same bizarre pro-meat bigotry

> > myself, and I've lived all over the world and all

> > over the states, too.

> > It's pretty much everywhere that the fast food

> > industries have

> > penetrated.

> >

> > I'm sure those of us not raised vegetarian

> remember

> > when we switched,