IndiaDivine.org

All-Purpose Flavor Base

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Been a while since I posted a recipe so I fingured I'd resend my favorite recipe for an all-purpose flavor base using nutritional yeast. The closest I can describe the taste is it reminds me of the recipe Mom used for fried chicken back when I ate meat (i apologize for the "meat" reference but that's the closest description I could think of! *grin*). I like to use this for things like oven-baked/fried tofu or when I'm converting a poultry dish to a vegetarian version. It's also good for soups, etc. :-)

It's also good for making sure you get your B vitamins too, since nutritional yeast is rich in them ( & amino acids & minerals).

Megan

ALL PURPOSE FLAVOR BASE

1 c. nutritional yeast flakes

1 T. salt (omit if you want a low-sodium version of the flavor base it still works just as fine)

1 T. sage

2 t. paprika

2 t. thyme

2 t. garlic powder

2 t. onion powder

1 t. black pepper

1 t. dried marjoram

1 t. rosemary

1/4 t. nutmeg

Use 1 to 2 tablespoons of this seasoning mix to boost the flavor of soups, stews, sauces, dips, dressings & casseroles. Combine all ingredients in a blender and pulverize. Store in an airtight container until ready to use.