IndiaDivine.org

veggie-stuffed mushrooms

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Hey guys. Tried this recipe last night. It looked really elegant. (You know…one of those “you must have been in the kitchen for hours” quickies! LOL) It was pretty good and had a good flavor to it but I personally thought it a bit dry. I was trying to think of some ideas to put some "moisture" in it like perhaps a spoonful or two of mayo or cream of mushroom soup. Any other suggestions??

Hope you enjoy.

With kindness,

Beth

Veggie-Stuffed Mushrooms

20 to 30 large mushrooms

½ cup finely chopped broccoli

½ cup finely chopped carrots

1 tablespoon of onion

1 to 1 ½ cup crushed seasoned croutons.

½ cup of shredded cheddar cheese

1/8 teaspoon of salt

2 table spoons of butter, melted.

Preheat oven to 400. Cut out stems of mushrooms (Most of the time these stems will pop out with just a little tug- but be careful not to tear into the main frame of the mushroom as it will fall apart when you stuff) and scoop out center of mushroom just enough to make a little scoop. (Be careful not to scoop into the sides or mushroom will fall apart.)

Put mushroom cap side down in a casserole dish.

Chop up the stems of mushroom to make 1/4 cup and put into a bowl. (Remaining stems are great in salads or stur-fries!)

Mix in broccoli, carrots, onions, croutons cheese and salt. Add butter. Mix well.

Scoop mixture evenly into mushroom caps.

Bake 15 to 20 minutes or until tops are lightly golden.

Serve warm

2 servings is about 80 calories and 5 grams of fat.

Suggestions:

I had to actually use more butter than what the recipe called for. You don’t want the mixture “wet” but you do want a sticky consistency so that it will spoon and form into mushroom caps.

Easy way to fill caps...place mushroom in palm of hand and with the other hand, scoop up a spoonful of mixture and gently lay ontop of mushroom. The spoon forms a nice mound.

You can “experiment” with the croutons to get the correct consistency.

I also used a melon ball maker to scoop out the insides which worked perfect. Remember not to thin out to much of the skin- you want a nice firm side so the mushroom will hold its form.

Y! Web Hosting - Let the expert host your web site

Beth, I make stuffed mushrooms and I have a couple of suggestions for the moisture problem.

You could put those croutons into a bowl and add some warm liquid to them before you add them to your recipe. When I make stuffed mushrooms, I use Pepperige Farms Herbed Stuffing mix instead of croutons and I make them moist first.

Second, I cover my mushrooms with aluminum foil for most of the baking and uncover only at the end to make the tops crunchy. That will keep in the mushroom's natural moisture in.

Hope this helps. I'll send in another stuffed mushroom recipe in a few days, I'm leaving town for a few days this week.

jane

At 08:06 PM 10/22/02 -0400, you wrote:

> Beth, I make stuffed mushrooms and I have a couple of suggestions for

> the moisture problem.

Me too! First, use all the mushroom stems! Extra moisture! Second, how

about some ricotta cheese?

Katy, lover of mushrooms

Jane-

Thats some great suggestions and I will look forward to trying another recipe when you get back!

With kindness,

Beth

twoslim <twoslim wrote:

Beth, I make stuffed mushrooms and I have a couple of suggestions for the moisture problem.

You could put those croutons into a bowl and add some warm liquid to them before you add them to your recipe. When I make stuffed mushrooms, I use Pepperige Farms Herbed Stuffing mix instead of croutons and I make them moist first.

Second, I cover my mushrooms with aluminum foil for most of the baking and uncover only at the end to make the tops crunchy. That will keep in the mushroom's natural moisture in.

Hope this helps. I'll send in another stuffed mushroom recipe in a few days, I'm leaving town for a few days this week.

janecontact owner: -owner Mail list: Delivered-mailing list List-Un: - no flaming arguing or denigration of others allowedcontact owner with complaints regarding posting/list or anything else. Thank you.please share/comment/inform and mostly enjoy this list

<<about some ricotta cheese?>>

That would be a good suggestion for this particular recipe. That would keep the "flavor" going in the same direction.

With kindness,

Beth

Kathryn Carpman <kcarp wrote:

At 08:06 PM 10/22/02 -0400, you wrote:> Beth, I make stuffed mushrooms and I have a couple of suggestions for > the moisture problem.Me too! First, use all the mushroom stems! Extra moisture! Second, how about some ricotta cheese?Katy, lover of mushroomscontact owner: -owner Mail list: Delivered-mailing list List-Un: - no flaming arguing or denigration of others allowedcontact owner with complaints regarding posting/list or anything else. Thank you.please share/comment/inform and mostly enjoy this list