IndiaDivine.org

what do you say to the meat eaters?

Rate this topic

Guest guest

In a message dated 11/24/2002 8:17:04 AM Eastern Standard Time, kristc99 writes:

Some of the suggestions that have come through here seem a bit confrontational,

like "animals are my friends.. " It implies to a meat eater that they are

somehow bad and eat friends, ykwim? I usually try to be a vague as possible "it

just works for me" or "it feels right for me" or "I LIKE tofu" (that always gets

'em LOL) or "I just don't like meat that much". Often this is followed by more

questions, mostly "WHAT do you eat??", which I try to answer kindly.

I do like the "I LIKE Tofu" one. Hee Hee. I'll try that one of for size next time someone asks me about it. My standard answer is, "I've never like meat that much, even when I was a kid". Which is true. I'd always look down at my plate and it would always have a VERY little meat on it, but only because everyone else had meat on theirs. When I made the CHOICE to go meatless though, it was because I hate the way we keep & slaughter animals, then neatly package their parts for presentation in the grocery store. How convenient that everyone can simply overlook all the pain & suffering that went into that nice little presenation of flesh. THAT'S what I tell people who press me on it. :)

And that also is true.

Storm Bryant

Some of the suggestions that have come through here seem a bit confrontational,

like " animals are my friends.. " It implies to a meat eater that they are

somehow bad and eat friends, ykwim? I usually try to be a vague as possible " it

just works for me " or " it feels right for me " or " I LIKE tofu " (that always gets

'em LOL) or " I just don't like meat that much " . Often this is followed by more

questions, mostly " WHAT do you eat?? " , which I try to answer kindly.

Sometimes it comes up in conversation that I am Buddhist (which I also keep very

low key until questioned pointedly). I think many attribute my vegetarian eating

habits to that which also works well.

So many don't know you can survive without meat, I'm happy to just share this

information and open up this possibility. I really don't want to turn anyone off

to the idea or to us vegetarians.

Kris

> " I am not a vegetarian because I love animals; I am a

> vegetarian because I hate plants. " ---A Whitney Brown

>

>

> " Animals are my friends--and I don't eat my friends. "

> ---George Benard Shaw

Mail Plus – Powerful. Affordable. Sign up now.

http://mailplus.

Kris,

I normally don't feel inclined to answer anyone (Especially when I feel its in a confrontational mode) unless i feel it is a sincere interest in my reasoning. Of course then its a friendly conversation. Otherwise, it can normally be brushed off without problem. This is my path... not theirs. Thay have their own to follow. With kindness,

Beth

Kris <kristc99 wrote:

Some of the suggestions that have come through here seem a bit confrontational,like "animals are my friends.. " It implies to a meat eater that they aresomehow bad and eat friends, ykwim? I usually try to be a vague as possible "itjust works for me" or "it feels right for me" or "I LIKE tofu" (that always gets'em LOL) or "I just don't like meat that much". Often this is followed by morequestions, mostly "WHAT do you eat??", which I try to answer kindly. Sometimes it comes up in conversation that I am Buddhist (which I also keep verylow key until questioned pointedly). I think many attribute my vegetarian eatinghabits to that which also works well. So many don't know you can survive without meat, I'm happy to just share thisinformation and open up this possibility. I really don't want to turn anyone offto the idea or to us vegetarians.Kris> "I am not a vegetarian because I love animals; I am a> vegetarian because I hate plants." ---A Whitney Brown> > > "Animals are my friends--and I don't eat my friends."> ---George Benard Shaw Mail Plus – Powerful. Affordable. Sign up now.http://mailplus.

When people ask me I just tell them what is true for me. I don't eat anything I would not be able to kill myself. At this point that only leaves plant-based foods for me to eat. Most people are not offended by this answer. I get the occasional "plants feel pain too". To this I answer that I would be able to uproot a plant myself, even though I am aware that they might feel pain.

Suzanne

Kris <kristc99 wrote:

Some of the suggestions that have come through here seem a bit confrontational,like "animals are my friends.. " It implies to a meat eater that they aresomehow bad and eat friends, ykwim? I usually try to be a vague as possible "itjust works for me" or "it feels right for me" or "I LIKE tofu" (that always gets'em LOL) or "I just don't like meat that much". Often this is followed by morequestions, mostly "WHAT do you eat??", which I try to answer kindly. Sometimes it comes up in conversation that I am Buddhist (which I also keep verylow key until questioned pointedly). I think many attribute my vegetarian eatinghabits to that which also works well. So many don't know you can survive without meat, I'm happy to just share thisinformation and open up this possibility. I really don't want to turn anyone offto the idea or to us vegetarians.Kris> "I am not a vegetarian because I love animals; I am a> vegetarian because I hate plants." ---A Whitney Brown> > > "Animals are my friends--and I don't eat my friends."> ---George Benard Shaw Mail Plus – Powerful. Affordable. Sign up now.http://mailplus.

• 2 weeks later...

When people ask me I just tell them what is true for me. I don't eat anything I would not be able to kill myself.

I tell them how it happened to me. I started volunteering at an animal shelter where a few were vegetarians. They mentioned (not in an intimidated way) they don't eat dogs or cats and they wouldn't eat any other animals. So, to me, if you can't eat your cat, how can you eat a chicken, etc. It made sense to me. I read up on it and after learning all the suffering involved, I became a vegetarian over 15 years ago.

Laura