and have come to the conclusion that this is the healthiest

lifestyle, BUT, I have very little time for cooking and I am at a

loss. I have found that most vegan recipes are either complex and

time consuming or taste horrible. Can anyone give me any " starter "

recipes that are fast and easy, and yet taste good. I am trying to

get a bunch of recipes together so that I can whip something up

every night after work with ease and be able to resist junk food. (I

am also trying to lose weight and regain my health!) If anyone could

help me I would really appreciate it! Thanks!

Well, I know we have some recipes in the archives you could check out.

I find Money's have a filling and tasty burger, and I like them in a simple dinner. Yves has veggie burgers and many other things. I like their veggie Just Like Ground (very much like crumbled cooked hamburger, excellent in shepherds pie or spaghetti sauce), their pepperoni and salami. I like them to put on pizza.

When I make pizza, I rarely do the crust from scratch. Tortillas or pitas make nice thin crusts. Or, for a hearty thick crust, I split french bread length-wise, then top with sauce and condiments. Bake at 400F for about 10 minutes.

I like wrapping stuff in tortillas - I spread refried beans with chili ( it's not hot) on a tortilla, top with chopped veggies and cheese or cream cheese, wrap up and keep in the fridge in a bag. Then we can microwave for a hot meal, or eat cold. A big favorite here is a tortilla spread with cream cheese that's been mixed with grated veggies, then rolled up and sliced as snacks.

Soups and salads are my favorite ways to eat more veggies and less meat protein. Green beans and garden peas are high in protein, yet many forget that they are a lovely fresh way to get protein.

Oh, and I make tacos. Don't grimace until you've tried it. Mash a pound of firm tofu until like hamburger. Saute slowly in a pan with a combination of oil and a little water, adding only if it strarts to stick. When the mixture gets firm, and taco seasoning and continue as usual.

Something you might try is cutting tofu into thick strips, and gently tossing them in a tasty sauce - black bean sauce, BBQ, even a salad dressing. Place them on a well-oiled pan and bake in a 350 oven till firm and chewy, maybe 20 minutes. You're looking for a texture that's like chewy bacon.

Speaking of bacon, I wrote up my hickory bits recipe about a week ago. Not bad in a baked potato.

The big secret with tofu that everyone should know is that it has no taste. So, you must flavor or sauce it liberally, or it tastes like a slimy sponge.

Hope these help.

Donni

-

health4me23

Sunday, August 10, 2003 12:43 PM

Recipes please!!!!

I am trying to become a vegetarian. I have done a lot of studying and have come to the conclusion that this is the healthiest lifestyle, BUT, I have very little time for cooking and I am at a loss. I have found that most vegan recipes are either complex and time consuming or taste horrible. Can anyone give me any "starter" recipes that are fast and easy, and yet taste good. I am trying to get a bunch of recipes together so that I can whip something up every night after work with ease and be able to resist junk food. (I am also trying to lose weight and regain my health!) If anyone could help me I would really appreciate it! Thanks!contact owner: -owner Mail list: Delivered-mailing list List-Un: - no flaming arguing or denigration of others allowedcontact owner with complaints regarding posting/list or anything else. Thank you.please share/comment/inform and mostly enjoy this list

• 2 weeks later...

Howdy,

Check out this link for a 30 minute veggie feast. A 30-minute meal for the vegetarians: Pumpkin & Black Bean Soup; Southwestern Caesar Salad; Smoked Cheddar Quesadillas with Yellow Tomato Salsa & Cilantro Lime Sour Cream.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/show_tm/episode/0,1976,FOOD_9997_21768,00.html

Susan R.

-

health4me23

Recipes please!!!!

I am trying to become a vegetarian. I have done a lot of studying and have come to the conclusion that this is the healthiest lifestyle, BUT, I have very little time for cooking and I am at a loss. I have found that most vegan recipes are either complex and time consuming or taste horrible. Can anyone give me any "starter" recipes that are fast and easy, and yet taste good. I am trying to get a bunch of recipes together so that I can whip something up every night after work with ease and be able to resist junk food. (I am also trying to lose weight and regain my health!) If anyone could help me I would really appreciate it! Thanks!

Howdy,

Here is a couple of suggestions to help you with this:

I have a cookbook, you may want to check out at the library or browse through at a book store: "The Vegan Gourmet" by Susann Geiskopj-Halder and Mindy Toomay.

Go to page 282 titled "Almost Instant Recipes" giving two pages listed of the recipes in the book that requires 30 minutes or less to prepare.

Check out foodtv.com once a week looking over "30 minute meals" and see if they have vegetarian recipes you can add to your list. I hit "full page print" to print out or use it to copy and paste into word program and put it in a my document file.

Susan R.

-

health4me23

Recipes please!!!!

I am trying to become a vegetarian. I have done a lot of studying and have come to the conclusion that this is the healthiest lifestyle, BUT, I have very little time for cooking and I am at a loss. I have found that most vegan recipes are either complex and time consuming or taste horrible. Can anyone give me any "starter" recipes that are fast and easy, and yet taste good. I am trying to get a bunch of recipes together so that I can whip something up every night after work with ease and be able to resist junk food. (I am also trying to lose weight and regain my health!) If anyone could help me I would really appreciate it! Thanks!