Rate this topic

Guest guest

I became vegetarian 5 or 6 years ago, and consider the switch the best thing

I have ever done. I did it for health reasons -- diabetes, which it has

helped tremendously. But gastronomically, I have a much more satisfying

and varied diet now than I ever did before, when I was pretty much in a meat

and potatoes rut, but I can see that it could be even a lot better if I only

knew how to cook. Couldn't really taste anything before, but my taster

returned after a few months being a vegetarian.

I started out cutting out meat and fish/seafood only, but continued eating

eggs and dairy products. But the real benefits only came after cutting

those out as well about a year later, becoming essentially vegan. However

I have a problem -- living in California (a cheese state!), it is almost

impossible to eat without eating cheese everytime I turn around. I buy soy

cheese when I buy cheese (assuming the store has it -- some do, some don't),

but I have to eat out a lot, and it is everywhere in restaurant servings,

including those designed for vegetarians.

I have another problem experienced by some on this list -- people around me

are really dumb when it comes to vegetarian needs. As many have commented,

they think fish and seafood are okay for vegetarians -- whereever did they

get that idea! They really can't believe that shrimp is not vegetarian.

I usually use the " no face " comment of Linda McCartney (at least that is

where I learned it from), but until today never thought about clams and

other shellfish where it's difficult to discern a face. And of course it's

impossible to get them to consider honey as not vegetarian -- even rather

strict vegetarians seem to consider that to be okay.

My mother (bless her memory) was a wonderful cook, and taught my older

sister everything she knew. However not me -- I was a boy, and was not

allowed in the kitchen, where women and women only were expected to hold

sway. So I grew up knowing nothing about cooking. Leaving me at the

mercy of restaurants when I do not have the services of a woman in my life

to divide household duties with. And what I would like to do at this late

stage of my life (I am 77 and in perfect health) -- one of the blessings of

vegetarianism -- is to learn to cook vegetarian style.

I think I must have bought every book on vegetarian cooking offered via

Amazon.com, and am on every vegetarian recipie list on the web including

Indian where vegetarianism is very common more from religion than otherwise

I think -- but they have wonderful food. The problem is I read these

recipies -- many many ingredients -- and just give up. I can't make such

complicated things. Of course anyone trained in cooking would not find

such recipies complicated at all -- but then they usually can't fix

computers either like I can (I'm retired from IBM).

What I need are simple recipies using simple ingredients that I can make in

a relatively short time -- if I can't do it quickly, I get too hungry

(diabetics get low blood sugar very quickly if they don't eat on time) and

give up trying, and go out to a restaurant or eat something frozen or from a

can. About the only thing I can make is ramen (vegetarian from Nissen

called Oriental Flavor) with which I use canned marinari sauce for added

flavor and body. I know I am missing a lot -- the recipies in all those

books look tempting and I'm sure very delicious, but they are beyond me.

There are some excellent all-vegetarian restaurants in the South San

Francisco Bay Area where I live, but the distances can be lengthy to

drive -- but again hunger takes over, and I opt for something close. Some

regular restaurants have a few vegetarian items on their menu, which I have

to choose if I eat there, even though I am really tired of them, and hate

the idea of eating them. Burger King with their BK Veggie burger is the

only fast food restaurant which even knows we exist that I have found unless

all you want to eat is potatoes in varous styles (and not even that in

McDonalds since they soak their fryes in beef tallow).

Does anyone have an suggestions -- I know very few vegetarians, and most of

these either cook or have wives who do (mine doesn't). I'll never change

back -- I'm vegetarian for life, but I would like to be able to make my own

food if ever possible.

Charles Wilkes

San Jose, CA

Hi Charles,

Do you have the cook book, The Vegan Gourmet, by any chance? If so there is a two page listing of quick easy meals recipes in the book under the subtitle, Almost Instant Recipes, on pages 282 and 283.

I for one am a happy camper if I can find something 5 ingredients or less! If I come across such a 'treasure' I will post it.

What soy cheese brand you found that does not have Casein in it? So far, I have not been successful.

Susan R.

-

Charles Wilkes

Thursday, August 28, 2003 11:06 AM

Ten-thumbs cook!

I became vegetarian 5 or 6 years ago, and consider the switch the best thingI have ever done. I did it for health reasons -- diabetes, which it hashelped tremendously. But gastronomically, I have a much more satisfyingand varied diet now than I ever did before, when I was pretty much in a meatand potatoes rut, but I can see that it could be even a lot better if I onlyknew how to cook. Couldn't really taste anything before, but my tasterreturned after a few months being a vegetarian.I started out cutting out meat and fish/seafood only, but continued eatingeggs and dairy products. But the real benefits only came after cuttingthose out as well about a year later, becoming essentially vegan. HoweverI have a problem -- living in California (a cheese state!), it is almostimpossible to eat without eating cheese everytime I turn around. I buy soycheese when I buy cheese (assuming the store has it -- some do, some don't),but I have to eat out a lot, and it is everywhere in restaurant servings,including those designed for vegetarians.I have another problem experienced by some on this list -- people around meare really dumb when it comes to vegetarian needs. As many have commented,they think fish and seafood are okay for vegetarians -- whereever did theyget that idea! They really can't believe that shrimp is not vegetarian.I usually use the "no face" comment of Linda McCartney (at least that iswhere I learned it from), but until today never thought about clams andother shellfish where it's difficult to discern a face. And of course it'simpossible to get them to consider honey as not vegetarian -- even ratherstrict vegetarians seem to consider that to be okay.My mother (bless her memory) was a wonderful cook, and taught my oldersister everything she knew. However not me -- I was a boy, and was notallowed in the kitchen, where women and women only were expected to holdsway. So I grew up knowing nothing about cooking. Leaving me at themercy of restaurants when I do not have the services of a woman in my lifeto divide household duties with. And what I would like to do at this latestage of my life (I am 77 and in perfect health) -- one of the blessings ofvegetarianism -- is to learn to cook vegetarian style.I think I must have bought every book on vegetarian cooking offered viaAmazon.com, and am on every vegetarian recipie list on the web includingIndian where vegetarianism is very common more from religion than otherwiseI think -- but they have wonderful food. The problem is I read theserecipies -- many many ingredients -- and just give up. I can't make suchcomplicated things. Of course anyone trained in cooking would not findsuch recipies complicated at all -- but then they usually can't fixcomputers either like I can (I'm retired from IBM).What I need are simple recipies using simple ingredients that I can make ina relatively short time -- if I can't do it quickly, I get too hungry(diabetics get low blood sugar very quickly if they don't eat on time) andgive up trying, and go out to a restaurant or eat something frozen or from acan. About the only thing I can make is ramen (vegetarian from Nissencalled Oriental Flavor) with which I use canned marinari sauce for addedflavor and body. I know I am missing a lot -- the recipies in all thosebooks look tempting and I'm sure very delicious, but they are beyond me.There are some excellent all-vegetarian restaurants in the South SanFrancisco Bay Area where I live, but the distances can be lengthy todrive -- but again hunger takes over, and I opt for something close. Someregular restaurants have a few vegetarian items on their menu, which I haveto choose if I eat there, even though I am really tired of them, and hatethe idea of eating them. Burger King with their BK Veggie burger is theonly fast food restaurant which even knows we exist that I have found unlessall you want to eat is potatoes in varous styles (and not even that inMcDonalds since they soak their fryes in beef tallow).Does anyone have an suggestions -- I know very few vegetarians, and most ofthese either cook or have wives who do (mine doesn't). I'll never changeback -- I'm vegetarian for life, but I would like to be able to make my ownfood if ever possible.Charles WilkesSan Jose, CAcontact owner: -owner Mail list: Delivered-mailing list List-Un: - no flaming arguing or denigration of others allowedcontact owner with complaints regarding posting/list or anything else. Thank you.please share/comment/inform and mostly enjoy this list

> I buy soy

> cheese when I buy cheese (assuming the store has it -- some do, some

don't),

Have you found a soy cheese with no casein (the main protein in cow's milk)?

I know when my Sarah used to be allergic to milk, it was the casein that

caused her hives. I tried to find a casein free soy cheese, but came to the

conclusion that it just didn't exist. Thankfully she has outgrown her

allergy and has been able to eat regular cheese for several months.

Darlene

Read about our experience with Child " Protective " Services at

http://members.freespeech.org/herod/ and scrolling down and clicking on

" Port Colborne " .

Hi all,

My name is Kris and I live in what is currently

way-too-hot Southern California. I am a long time

vegan and I love to cook. My love of cooking came

about out of necessity at first, since it became

nearly impossible to be vegan and dine out anywhere!

I was a self-proclaimed dairy junkie, really. Over

time, though, I have found less need for alternatives,

since most alternatives, as stated, contain casein,

and those that are vegan tend to be rather raunchy.

That being said, I have discovered a few good vegan

alternatives that I use occasionally. One is Vegan

Gourmet cheese alternative. You can visit them at

www.ImEarthKind.com for recipe and cooking ideas. It

does require attention to melt, but it will melt.

They offer cheddar, Monterey jack and mozzarella.

The other thing is Soymage Vegan Parmesan alternative.

It is quite good. I believe this one to be the only

parmesan alternative you can purchase that is vegan.

I also highly recommend any of Joanne Stepaniak's

cookbooks. She even has one called " The Uncheese

Cookbook " and she has some tasty and clever " cheeses "

that are quite easy to make. And quite good.

One other thing, I have never understood someone

calling him/herself vegetarian and eating fish (or

chicken for that matter), since vegetarian eats no

animal. I have even had many well meaning people

suggest that I just pull out the meat from whatever

and eat it. Hmm. That wouldn't be vegetarian either.

That is why groups like this are good for informing

and inspiring others. I also wish to say that I

NEVER want to discourage anyone from trying to either

eat more veg meals when they aren't vegetarian. I

don't ever want to sound rude because I am always

happy when someone is making the effort to live a

healthy and kinder life style!

Becoming/being veg and vegan for me was EASY. I never

ever like meat. Had the horrible experience as a

child of seeing a cow slaughtered while walking home

from school one day. We used to pet the cow and feed

him/her grass. I was horrified and gagging and crying

and when I asked my mom why this happened, she told me

about the cheeseburgers, steaks, etc. and where they

came from. That was it. My mom was GREAT! She went

out of her way to make me " non-meat " meals while

feeding my dad (Mr. Meat and Potatoes). It really is

a slow process for many, and that is OK. Good luck to

all of you that are on your way, and kudos to those

that aren't really sure yet, but, are making great

efforts to incorporate vegetarianism into your life!

Peace all.

Namaste.

Kris

--- Barry & Darlene <eph2vv89 wrote:

> > I buy soy

> > cheese when I buy cheese (assuming the store has

> it -- some do, some

> don't),

>

> Have you found a soy cheese with no casein (the main

> protein in cow's milk)?

> I know when my Sarah used to be allergic to milk, it

> was the casein that

> caused her hives. I tried to find a casein free soy

> cheese, but came to the

> conclusion that it just didn't exist. Thankfully

> she has outgrown her

> allergy and has been able to eat regular cheese for

> several months.

>

> Darlene

>

> Read about our experience with Child " Protective "

> Services at

> http://members.freespeech.org/herod/ and scrolling

> down and clicking on

> " Port Colborne " .

>

>

Sorry for butting into your conversation but yes there is cheese that is casein free, they have slices too. Of course right now I can't remember the name something with the word veggie in it I think. Just read the label on the cheeses at the HFS. Also there is always goat cheese & goat feta you can try - just make sure it is a mild one.

Julie

-

Barry & Darlene

Saturday, August 30, 2003 7:48 AM

Re: Ten-thumbs cook!

> I buy soy> cheese when I buy cheese (assuming the store has it -- some do, somedon't),Have you found a soy cheese with no casein (the main protein in cow's milk)?I know when my Sarah used to be allergic to milk, it was the casein thatcaused her hives. I tried to find a casein free soy cheese, but came to theconclusion that it just didn't exist. Thankfully she has outgrown herallergy and has been able to eat regular cheese for several months.DarleneRead about our experience with Child "Protective" Services athttp://members.freespeech.org/herod/ and scrolling down and clicking on"Port Colborne".contact owner: -owner Mail list: Delivered-mailing list List-Un: - no flaming arguing or denigration of others allowedcontact owner with complaints regarding posting/list or anything else. Thank you.please share/comment/inform and mostly enjoy this list

Hi Darlene,

I have a food reaction to Casein. It is a very needed ingredient to make cheese. It is a protein that comes from the cow's fourth stomach so it is hard to avoid it in cow dairy products. Goat cheese don't have Casein. I am not sure if soy cheese can be made without the Casein. So far I cannot find one without it.

I can get away with eating cheese once in a great while. I need to be sure there is like a four days gap in between the consumption to avoid reaction problems.

What I love but have to be careful with is cantaloupe! I love cantaloupe! I can eat it like once a month to avoid problems. I thought I was coming down with 'stomach flu' in the summer before I found out I was allergic cantaloupe.

Susan R.

-

Barry & Darlene

Saturday, August 30, 2003 7:48 AM

> I buy soy> cheese when I buy cheese (assuming the store has it -- some do, somedon't),Have you found a soy cheese with no casein (the main protein in cow's milk)?I know when my Sarah used to be allergic to milk, it was the casein thatcaused her hives. I tried to find a casein free soy cheese, but came to theconclusion that it just didn't exist. Thankfully she has outgrown herallergy and has been able to eat regular cheese for several months.DarleneRead about our experience with Child "Protective" Services athttp://members.freespeech.org/herod/ and scrolling down and clicking on"Port Colborne".

> Also there is always goat cheese & goat feta you can try - just make sure it is a mild one.

No, Goat cheese was out, too. The doctor told me goat's milk has the same protein as cow's milk, so while it is fine for those who are lactose intollerant, it is still not good for those with a real allergy (lactose intollerance is often called milk allergy, but is not). Thanks for trying to help, though. I appreciate it.

Darlene

Read about our experience with Child "Protective" Services at http://members.freespeech.org/herod/ and scrolling down and clicking on "Port Colborne".

Well Im going to go a little against the doc on this one. The proteins in goat milk are incredibly small compared to cows milk and are by far more digestible. It is the closest you can get to human milk. I had/have (much worse as a child - was even hospitalized over a reaction) terrible allergies to cows milk and it has nothing to do with lactose. Both of my children are very allergic as well. We all can tolerate goats milk and cheese just fine. I am not going to say that is true for everyone, there is always an exception but if you are looking for something else to try it may be worth a shot. Your call.

Julie

-

Barry & Darlene

Monday, September 01, 2003 7:39 PM

> Also there is always goat cheese & goat feta you can try - just make sure it is a mild one.

No, Goat cheese was out, too. The doctor told me goat's milk has the same protein as cow's milk, so while it is fine for those who are lactose intollerant, it is still not good for those with a real allergy (lactose intollerance is often called milk allergy, but is not). Thanks for trying to help, though. I appreciate it.

Darlene

Read about our experience with Child "Protective" Services at http://members.freespeech.org/herod/ and scrolling down and clicking on "Port Colborne".

contact owner: -owner Mail list: Delivered-mailing list List-Un: - no flaming arguing or denigration of others allowedcontact owner with complaints regarding posting/list or anything else. Thank you.please share/comment/inform and mostly enjoy this list

Maybe the doctor was trying to err on the side of caution, because the allergist had said that Sarah's reaction on the allergy test was so strong that we should assume she'd be one of the extremely rare cases of a fatal reaction if she ever drank milk. You know, a "better safe than sorry" type of approach.

Darlene

-

Julie

Monday, September 01, 2003 11:26 PM

Well Im going to go a little against the doc on this one. The proteins in goat milk are incredibly small compared to cows milk and are by far more digestible. It is the closest you can get to human milk. I had/have (much worse as a child - was even hospitalized over a reaction) terrible allergies to cows milk and it has nothing to do with lactose. Both of my children are very allergic as well. We all can tolerate goats milk and cheese just fine. I am not going to say that is true for everyone, there is always an exception but if you are looking for something else to try it may be worth a shot. Your call.

Julie

-

Barry & Darlene

Darlene

contact owner: -owner Mail list: Delivered-mailing list List-Un: - no flaming arguing or denigration of others allowedcontact owner with complaints regarding posting/list or anything else. Thank you.please share/comment/inform and mostly enjoy this list

At 05:29 02/09/03 +0000, you wrote:

>Well Im going to go a little against the doc on this one. The proteins in

>goat milk are incredibly small compared to cows milk and are by far more

>digestible.

Can I come out with an in-between position? :) *Some* people who

have real allergies to cows milk can use goats milk. Some can't. This is

based on lots of experience (not me personally).

Brandel in Jerusalem

....reporting live from the war zone...

Hi Julie, Darlene and everyone,

The goat cheese I use do not have casein in it. I am sure it depends on the brands. I can't say what the brand is because I don't have any in the house. And I can't remember a darn thing because I am chocolate deprived.

Casein is a protein in the cow's fourth stomach. I know casein protein is needed to make cow cheese and used in making soy cheese (the ones I was able to find anyway, I live in the mountains so my selections are small).

Susan R.

-

Julie

Monday, September 01, 2003 8:26 PM

Julie

-

Barry & Darlene

Darlene

Hi Darlene,

Good point!

Susan R.

-

Barry & Darlene

Monday, September 01, 2003 9:59 PM

Maybe the doctor was trying to err on the side of caution, because the allergist had said that Sarah's reaction on the allergy test was so strong that we should assume she'd be one of the extremely rare cases of a fatal reaction if she ever drank milk. You know, a "better safe than sorry" type of approach.

Darlene

the best american slices without casein is the Toffuti brand. I have also made an excellent mac and cheese with the tofutti cheese spread.... Kris Robinson <kris_witha_k wrote:

Hi all,My name is Kris and I live in what is currentlyway-too-hot Southern California. I am a long timevegan and I love to cook. My love of cooking cameabout out of necessity at first, since it becamenearly impossible to be vegan and dine out anywhere!I was a self-proclaimed dairy junkie, really. Overtime, though, I have found less need for alternatives,since most alternatives, as stated, contain casein,and those that are vegan tend to be rather raunchy. That being said, I have discovered a few good veganalternatives that I use occasionally. One is VeganGourmet cheese alternative. You can visit them atwww.ImEarthKind.com for recipe and cooking ideas. Itdoes require attention to melt, but it will melt. They offer cheddar, Monterey jack and mozzarella.The other thing is

Soymage Vegan Parmesan alternative.It is quite good. I believe this one to be the onlyparmesan alternative you can purchase that is vegan.I also highly recommend any of Joanne Stepaniak'scookbooks. She even has one called "The UncheeseCookbook" and she has some tasty and clever "cheeses"that are quite easy to make. And quite good.One other thing, I have never understood someonecalling him/herself vegetarian and eating fish (orchicken for that matter), since vegetarian eats noanimal. I have even had many well meaning peoplesuggest that I just pull out the meat from whateverand eat it. Hmm. That wouldn't be vegetarian either.That is why groups like this are good for informingand inspiring others. I also wish to say that I NEVER want to discourage anyone from trying to eithereat more veg meals when they aren't vegetarian. Idon't ever want to sound rude because I

am alwayshappy when someone is making the effort to live ahealthy and kinder life style! Becoming/being veg and vegan for me was EASY. I neverever like meat. Had the horrible experience as achild of seeing a cow slaughtered while walking homefrom school one day. We used to pet the cow and feedhim/her grass. I was horrified and gagging and cryingand when I asked my mom why this happened, she told meabout the cheeseburgers, steaks, etc. and where theycame from. That was it. My mom was GREAT! She wentout of her way to make me "non-meat" meals whilefeeding my dad (Mr. Meat and Potatoes). It really isa slow process for many, and that is OK. Good luck toall of you that are on your way, and kudos to thosethat aren't really sure yet, but, are making greatefforts to incorporate vegetarianism into your life!Peace all.Namaste.Kris---

Barry & Darlene <eph2vv89 wrote:> > I buy soy> > cheese when I buy cheese (assuming the store has> it -- some do, some> don't),> > Have you found a soy cheese with no casein (the main> protein in cow's milk)?> I know when my Sarah used to be allergic to milk, it> was the casein that> caused her hives. I tried to find a casein free soy> cheese, but came to the> conclusion that it just didn't exist. Thankfully> she has outgrown her> allergy and has been able to eat regular cheese for> several months.> > Darlene> > Read about our experience with Child "Protective"> Services at> http://members.freespeech.org/herod/ and scrolling> down and clicking on> "Port Colborne".> >