IndiaDivine.org

new member here :)

Rate this topic

Guest guest

((((Nice to be here))))) :)

I'm Cherie, and live in NJ.  I've always leaned towards vegetarian cuisine.

My entire family enjoys vegetarian dishes, and I've been preparing bean soups and stews and patties, plus vegetable curry, etc.

I was advised (by my endocrinologist) not to eat soy products (or use the tiniest possible amounts, if I couldn't totally avoid them) due to hypothyroid (slow thyroid).

I recently discovered seitan/gluten meat online, and want to try some recipes using that as a protein source.  Although some seitan meat substitutes are sold commercially, many seem to contain some soy protein as an ingredient..thus, I want to make my own - I read one seitan recipe saying chickpea flour could be used instead of soy flour, so that sounded useful *wink*

Hoping to enjoy many recipes posted here, and hope to be able to share some with you that you will enjoy, too.  :)

Cherie

Hi Cherie,

This recipe for seitan showed up in a newsletter I got just yesterday, one using

wheat flour. Would the soy sauce pose a problem for you?

Dyrinda

Ingredients:

14 cups water (more may be needed)

¾ cup tamari soy sauce

3 fresh garlic cloves, crushed or finely minced

½ yellow onion, finely chopped

½ celery rib or stalk, finely chopped

1 tablespoon fresh grated ginger root

1 (3-inch long) piece of kombu (a type of seaweed) (optional)

8 cups whole-wheat flour

1. In a large pot over high heat bring 10½ cups of water to boil. Add tamari,

garlic, onion, celery, ginger and kombu cooking over low heat and continue to

simmer for 25 minutes. Set timer.

2. In a large bowl combine flour and the 3½ remaining cups of the measured water

stirring to make firm but not sticky dough adding a little more water if

necessary so it is not too dry.

3. Knead dough by hand on a smooth flat surface for at least 10 to 12 minutes

until it has an elastic consistency.

4. Place the dough in a large bowl filling up the bowl with semi warm water

until the dough is completely underwater and let it rest for 25 minutes.

5. After the dough has rested, put the bowl with the dough and water in the sink

and knead it by hand until the water turns cloudy and starchy white. Drain the

milky water replacing it with fresh cold water and knead until the water becomes

milky. Repeat this process several times until the water remains clear after

kneading and the dough becomes firmer and more elastic.

6. Place the rinsed and drained seitan in a dry bowl and let it rest for 30

minutes before cooking.

7. Cut seitan into smaller chunks and place it in the broth. Simmer over low

heat for 1½ hours. The seitan should remain underwater. Do not let it come to

boil. Continue to reduce heat if necessary. Set timer.

8. Store the seitan in its broth in a tightly covered container and keep

refrigerated. Use within a week or freeze with or without broth.

============================================================

CeCetheWegie

2003/08/29 Fri PM 03:17:28 EDT

((((Nice to be here))))) :)

I'm Cherie, and live in NJ.  I've always leaned towards vegetarian cuisine.

My entire family enjoys vegetarian dishes, and I've been preparing bean soups

and stews and patties, plus vegetable curry, etc.

I was advised (by my endocrinologist) not to eat soy products (or use the

tiniest possible amounts, if I couldn't totally avoid them) due to hypothyroid

(slow thyroid).

I recently discovered seitan/gluten meat online, and want to try some recipes

using that as a protein source.  Although some seitan meat substitutes are

sold commercially, many seem to contain some soy protein as an ingredient..thus,

I want to make my own - I read one seitan recipe saying chickpea flour could

be used instead of soy flour, so that sounded useful *wink*

Hoping to enjoy many recipes posted here, and hope to be able to share some

with you that you will enjoy, too.  :)

Cherie

============================================================

((((Nice to be here))))) :)I'm Cherie, and live in NJ.  I've always leaned towards vegetarian cuisine.My entire family enjoys vegetarian dishes, and I've been preparing bean soups and stews and patties, plus vegetable curry, etc.I was advised (by my endocrinologist) not to eat soy products (or use the tiniest possible amounts, if I couldn't totally avoid them) due to hypothyroid (slow thyroid).I recently discovered seitan/gluten meat online, and want to try some recipes using that as a protein source.  Although some seitan meat substitutes are sold commercially, many seem to contain some soy protein as an ingredient..thus, I want to make my own - I read one seitan recipe saying chickpea flour could be used instead of soy flour, so that sounded useful *wink*Hoping to enjoy many recipes posted here, and hope to be able to share some with you that you will enjoy, too.  :)Cheriecontact owner: -owner Mail list: Delivered-mailing list List-Un: - no flaming arguing or denigration of others allowedcontact owner with complaints regarding posting/list or anything else. Thank you.please share/comment/inform and mostly enjoy this list

Hello Cherie,

welcome to the group -- you have me curious though how did you know you had an underactive thyroid -- what is the relationship between soy and thyroid issues? -- thanks for reading and for your help

Joanne

...· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-¸.·´ .·´¨¨))((¸¸.·´ ..·´ Joanne -:¦:- ((¸¸.·´* Shih Tzu Rescue -:¦:- -:¦:- Southeastern Pennsylvania

----- Forwarded Message -----

CeCetheWegie

Fri, 29 Aug 2003 15:17:28 EDT

Message-ID: <a4.3be7c8cc.2c8100c8

((((Nice to be here))))) :)I'm Cherie, and live in NJ. I've always leaned towards vegetarian cuisine.My entire family enjoys vegetarian dishes, and I've been preparing bean soups and stews and patties, plus vegetable curry, etc.I was advised (by my endocrinologist) not to eat soy products (or use the tiniest possible amounts, if I couldn't totally avoid them) due to hypothyroid (slow thyroid).I recently discovered seitan/gluten meat online, and want to try some recipes using that as a protein source. Although some seitan meat substitutes are sold commercially, many seem to contain some soy protein as an ingredient..thus, I want to make my own - I read one seitan recipe saying chickpea flour could be used instead of soy flour, so that sounded useful *wink*Hoping to enjoy many recipes posted here, and hope to be able to share some with you that you will enjoy, too. :)Cheriecontact owner: -owner Mail list: Delivered-mailing list List-Un: - no flaming arguing or denigration of others allowedcontact owner with complaints regarding posting/list or anything else. Thank you.please share/comment/inform and mostly enjoy this list

Hi. Just wanted to welcome you to the list.

Darlene

Read about our experience with Child "Protective" Services at http://members.freespeech.org/herod/ and scrolling down and clicking on "Port Colborne".

-

CeCetheWegie

Friday, August 29, 2003 3:17 PM

((((Nice to be here))))) :)I'm Cherie, and live in NJ. I've always leaned towards vegetarian cuisine.My entire family enjoys vegetarian dishes, and I've been preparing bean soups and stews and patties, plus vegetable curry, etc.I was advised (by my endocrinologist) not to eat soy products (or use the tiniest possible amounts, if I couldn't totally avoid them) due to hypothyroid (slow thyroid).I recently discovered seitan/gluten meat online, and want to try some recipes using that as a protein source. Although some seitan meat substitutes are sold commercially, many seem to contain some soy protein as an ingredient..thus, I want to make my own - I read one seitan recipe saying chickpea flour could be used instead of soy flour, so that sounded useful *wink*Hoping to enjoy many recipes posted here, and hope to be able to share some with you that you will enjoy, too. :)Cheriecontact owner: -owner Mail list: Delivered-mailing list List-Un: - no flaming arguing or denigration of others allowedcontact owner with complaints regarding posting/list or anything else. Thank you.please share/comment/inform and mostly enjoy this list