IndiaDivine.org

Susan R. - thyroid, info, seitan meat substitutes, and more :)

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Hi, Susan! :)

(((Thanks for your warm welcome!)))

Nice to meet you!

Hi and welcome Cherie!

I am glad you found a great doctor that diagnosed you correctly. How are you feeling now you know how you need to eat?

Well, I am still learning about what to eat and what to avoid - - - new info is coming up from research all the time...Just last night, I read that people with slow thyroids should not eat millet grain! That was a close one for me, in a way, as I was intending to shop at the local health food store this morning..and, one new item on my list had been millet! *oh, well! lol!* Guess I was lucky I didn't buy it, then find out after I was cooking a millet recipe....

(I surf to about.com and put hypothyroid into the search engine. Many, many good links come up :)

as for the meat subsitutes:

Are you talking about those meat substitutes like the canned products of Loma Linda brand? Or is this something different I don't know about.

Seitan = gluten "meat" - many vegetarian meat substitutes (vegetarian "salami" and "bologna" or "steaks") are made primarilly of wheat gluten.

The problem, for me, with commercial products - they all seem to contain soy products...this is why I am wanting to make my own, and have found a few good sites with recipes for making the gluten meat substitute (it is a dough), and then using it to create various non-meat loafs, patties, sausages, pastrami, etc...

SEITAN--THE VEGETARIAN WHEAT MEAT -- The Vegetarian Resource Group

http://www.vrg.org/recipes/vjseitan.htm

Favorite Seitan Gluten Roasts -- The Recipe Box -- Ellen's Kitchen

http://www.ellenskitchen.com/recipebox/wheaties.html

Vegan Seitan

http://vegweb.com/food/subs/index-subs-seitan.shtml

There are seitan mixes available (instant Seitan Mix and a Ribs Mix for faux ribs), but I think I will try to make my own, to save $ and to avoid those mixtures containing soy...

The HFS visit today was a little bit disappointing...

....I was wrongly advised by 2 people who have worked there for years....I wanted nutritional yeast, even questioning them a few times about "are you certain this product is the same thing?..." I never bought nutritional yeast before, and had a nagging feeling that I wasn't buying the right thing...And, now... I have a BIG jar of Brewer's Yeast....and, the new vegetarian cookbook I bought (Vegan Vittles) says NOT TO use Brewer's Yeast instead of "Nutritional Yeast", as the results of the recipes will not come out properly/the same flavor-wise....*oh, well 2X...I should have listened to my own instincts...lol*

Any advice on my yeast dilemma? I want to return it, but this store is quite a drive from my home...plus, I have no clue as to their return policy... :(

Have you ever used Brewer's Yeast instead of nutritional yeast in a recipe?...

Thanks for any and all help!

((((hugs))))

Love,

Cherie

Can you give us the online source you mentioned in your intro post? Thanks!

Susan R.

Hi Cherie!

I read your post with great interest and concern as I've been on thyroid medicine for a very long time. I decided to consult with my Uncle who is quite knowledgable about nutrition and alternative medicine (He has a degree from the University of Natural Medicine and is on their board of consultants.) Anyway, he explained (if I understand him correctly) that the big issue is that too much soy can cause copper poisoning which causes such things as thyroid issues, fautigue, etc. From his experience is an issue with some vegetarians. His recommendation to me was to get a hair analysis and see where I stand. You might consider this. I should add, he's not a vegetarian. He made a consious decision to incorporate some meat products into his diet because he wasn't getting everything he needed nutrition wise without it. (That obviously depends on the individual but he's not the only one I know who has taken this decision for heath reasons.) He also said that soy products such as tofu which are more pure soy without additives are better than the more processed stuff (eg. "veggie ground round") which may have sugar, salt etc. added. I'm also going to consult with the lady whom I've been taking vegan cooking classes from. As she is a strict vegan, and has been so for a long time, I'm sure she's quite familiar with these issues. Finally, If after further research on this matter, I decided it would be beneficial heathwise to incorporate some meat/poultry products into my diet I'd only eat the stuff I knew was not given hormones or antibiotics (I am fortunate to live < 10 minutes from a "Whole Foods Market" which sells such products...and conveniently happens to be in the same shopping center as my gym.)

Hope this helps!

Wendy